Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New MS Keyboard...again!

New MS Keyboard...again!

David R. Norton MVP

"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> It doesn't matter whether MS actually builds the things or not, it is
> their name on the product, so it is them that should be given the grief.
> Both my keyboard and mouse say Microsoft, and I am severely p*ssed off
> that the only hardware for which I have NO driver support is the
> Microsoft hardware. Whoever is in charge of this should be shot, it is
> unforgiveable that MS did not ensure that there was *full* (and by this
> mean IntelliPoint/Type) driver support when x64 shipped.
>
> Rant over......

Blame whoever you want but it might help if you'd blame the responsible
people... nah, that wouldn't allow you to rant against Microsoft, would
it?

I can't even run X64 (or vista 64). No mouse, printer, etc. etc. etc.
support (and no, none of the unsupported items are Microsoft) nor do I
feel like replacing items for which Canon, Logitech, etc. don't feel like
making 64 bit drivers.

What's even worse is every distro of Linux 64 that I've tried support
all my devices that XP64 won't!

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Piers James

I'm not ranting *because* it's MS, I'm ranting because the OS manufacturer
and the hardware manufacturer are one and the same. If Apple did the same
thing I would still be unhappy.

You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved. My
relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic to
understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone here
is a MS basher!!!

SNIP

> Blame whoever you want but it might help if you'd blame the responsible
> people... nah, that wouldn't allow you to rant against Microsoft, would
> it?

Colin Nowell

FWIW Piers, I agree with you. To put it in its simplest form, "the name
that's on the box is the name that gets the blame".

There are MANY hardware manufacturers out there that are "badge engineered"
in much the same way as cars (in that sub contractors actually supply the
basic parts) but that doesn't mean you go and seek out the particular sub
contractor that supplied/built the particular part of your car that went
wrong. You approach the "badge" holder.

That makes the blame for this particular case lying fairly and squarely at
MS's door in my book.

Colin

"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not ranting *because* it's MS, I'm ranting because the OS manufacturer
> and the hardware manufacturer are one and the same. If Apple did the same
> thing I would still be unhappy.
>
> You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
> Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved. My
> relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic to
> understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone
> here is a MS basher!!!
>

> SNIP
>
>> Blame whoever you want but it might help if you'd blame the responsible
>> people... nah, that wouldn't allow you to rant against Microsoft, would
>> it?

Piers James

precisely. Thank you Colin.

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OiJaO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> FWIW Piers, I agree with you. To put it in its simplest form, "the name
> that's on the box is the name that gets the blame".
>
> There are MANY hardware manufacturers out there that are "badge
> engineered" in much the same way as cars (in that sub contractors actually
> supply the basic parts) but that doesn't mean you go and seek out the
> particular sub contractor that supplied/built the particular part of your
> car that went wrong. You approach the "badge" holder.
>
> That makes the blame for this particular case lying fairly and squarely at
> MS's door in my book.
>
> Colin
>
> "Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not ranting *because* it's MS, I'm ranting because the OS
>> manufacturer and the hardware manufacturer are one and the same. If Apple
>> did the same thing I would still be unhappy.
>>
>> You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
>> Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved.
>> My relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic
>> to understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone
>> here is a MS basher!!!
>>

>> SNIP
>>
>>> Blame whoever you want but it might help if you'd blame the responsible
>>> people... nah, that wouldn't allow you to rant against Microsoft, would
>>> it?

David R. Norton MVP

"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
> Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved. My
> relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic to
> understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone here
> is a MS basher!!!

I never assumed you were a Microsoft basher, I just figured you wanted to
whine about something and Microsoft was handy.

Blame whoever you want, it's not going to help get drivers.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

David R. Norton MVP

"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> precisely. Thank you Colin.

Good, now you have company in being wrong!

Again, blame whoever you want, it won't help.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

David R. Norton MVP wrote:

>"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>>precisely. Thank you Colin.

>Good, now you have company in being wrong!

I'm with Piers and Colin too.

>Again, blame whoever you want, it won't help.

Microsoft lay down the specification for the hardware, get to decide the
form and the packaging, etc. I think they'd have some say in what OS's are
supported. And lets face it, it shouldn't be beyond them to write the
software for themselves if necessary (it _is_ their OS after all).

And if MS want 3rd-party vendors to support x64, the best way is to lead
by example, and make sure all their own branded hardware is fully supported.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Charlie Russel - MVP

Northgate OmniKey when you can find them. I still have several, and am
always looking for more. There's also an excellent clone of it, but way over
priced.

Even a broken Northgate keyboard is worth grabbing if you come across it.
They're repairable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

David R. Norton MVP wrote:
> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed).4me> wrote in:
>
>> ...but no x64 drivers?!
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...ls.aspx?pid=04
> 3
>>
>> Hello Logitech!
>>

> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...=1796,contenti
> d=10226,OSID=11
>
> And I spend time searching all the swap meets looking for usable
> keyboards. Usable meaning good feel and NO extra keys.
>
> These were usually made by IBM in the middle 1990s.

David R. Norton MVP

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> Northgate OmniKey when you can find them. I still have several, and am
> always looking for more. There's also an excellent clone of it, but way
> over priced.
>
> Even a broken Northgate keyboard is worth grabbing if you come across
> it. They're repairable.

Thanks, found them here! (mine was originally made by Lexmark which sold
their keyboard business to Pickyboard.com)

http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/index.html

Here's the one I have,

http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/cus101usenon.html

The price isn't too awful at $49.00.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

David R. Norton MVP

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> their keyboard business to Pickyboard.com)

That's gotta win prizes for the most creative spelling of Pckeyboard ever!