Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is XP Pro XP x64

Reply
Thread Tools

Is XP Pro XP x64

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIHNld3M=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS places.
I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it. Just went to a
site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and one for XP x64. I've
never seen this before and wondering which one to get. I'm also wondering if
maybe that is why my tablet has never been abled to be configured on this
computer.
--
Kim Nish
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
Windows XP Professional x64 cannot run on any Tablet out there, so you are
running the x86 version of Windows XP Professional, so avoid the x64 driver
update on that site.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"Kim sews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
>places.
> I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it. Just went
> to a
> site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and one for XP x64.
> I've
> never seen this before and wondering which one to get. I'm also wondering
> if
> maybe that is why my tablet has never been abled to be configured on this
> computer.
> --
> Kim Nish



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
Kim sews wrote:
> I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS places.
> I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it. Just went to a
> site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and one for XP x64. I've
> never seen this before and wondering which one to get. I'm also wondering if
> maybe that is why my tablet has never been abled to be configured on this
> computer.


If your computer is running Windows XP Professional x64, then you need
the XP x64 drivers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
You need the XP one. The x64 version is only for 64-bit processors that
support the x64 spec, and no tablet does so. (And if you have a Tablet PC
that doesn't have Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on it, you should be talking
to your OEM -- you can't use the Tablet PC features without the Tablet PC
Edition of Windows XP.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Kim sews wrote:
> I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
> places. I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it.
> Just went to a site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and
> one for XP x64. I've never seen this before and wondering which one to
> get. I'm also wondering if maybe that is why my tablet has never been
> abled to be configured on this computer.



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIHNld3M=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
I don't have a tablet PC (well I do-3 of them, but this is a desktop), I have
a digitizing tablet. Would it say XP x64 when it gives system information-it
just says XP Professional. How do I know if it is a 32 bit or a 64 bit
program? I can't find it anyplace.
--
Kim Nish


"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> You need the XP one. The x64 version is only for 64-bit processors that
> support the x64 spec, and no tablet does so. (And if you have a Tablet PC
> that doesn't have Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on it, you should be talking
> to your OEM -- you can't use the Tablet PC features without the Tablet PC
> Edition of Windows XP.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Kim sews wrote:
> > I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
> > places. I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it.
> > Just went to a site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and
> > one for XP x64. I've never seen this before and wondering which one to
> > get. I'm also wondering if maybe that is why my tablet has never been
> > abled to be configured on this computer.

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIHNld3M=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
Actually the driver I am trying to download is for a digitizing tablet on the
WACOM site, not for a tablet computer. How can I tell which verstion I have?
--
Kim Nish


"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Windows XP Professional x64 cannot run on any Tablet out there, so you are
> running the x86 version of Windows XP Professional, so avoid the x64 driver
> update on that site.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>
> "Kim sews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
> >places.
> > I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it. Just went
> > to a
> > site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and one for XP x64.
> > I've
> > never seen this before and wondering which one to get. I'm also wondering
> > if
> > maybe that is why my tablet has never been abled to be configured on this
> > computer.
> > --
> > Kim Nish

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
Look at the start-up screen if it doesn't say x64 it's not.


"Kim sews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a tablet PC (well I do-3 of them, but this is a desktop), I
>have
> a digitizing tablet. Would it say XP x64 when it gives system
> information-it
> just says XP Professional. How do I know if it is a 32 bit or a 64 bit
> program? I can't find it anyplace.
> --
> Kim Nish
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> You need the XP one. The x64 version is only for 64-bit processors that
>> support the x64 spec, and no tablet does so. (And if you have a Tablet PC
>> that doesn't have Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on it, you should be
>> talking
>> to your OEM -- you can't use the Tablet PC features without the Tablet PC
>> Edition of Windows XP.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Kim sews wrote:
>> > I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
>> > places. I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it.
>> > Just went to a site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and
>> > one for XP x64. I've never seen this before and wondering which one to
>> > get. I'm also wondering if maybe that is why my tablet has never been
>> > abled to be configured on this computer.

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2005
Ricks post answered that well, if its a wacom Tablet you are using on x64,
the x64 drivers is what you need for that device if you are running Windows
XP Professional x64. To ensure you are running that version of Windows,
click Start > Run > type in "winver" without qoutes.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"Kim sews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a tablet PC (well I do-3 of them, but this is a desktop), I
>have
> a digitizing tablet. Would it say XP x64 when it gives system
> information-it
> just says XP Professional. How do I know if it is a 32 bit or a 64 bit
> program? I can't find it anyplace.
> --
> Kim Nish
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> You need the XP one. The x64 version is only for 64-bit processors that
>> support the x64 spec, and no tablet does so. (And if you have a Tablet PC
>> that doesn't have Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on it, you should be
>> talking
>> to your OEM -- you can't use the Tablet PC features without the Tablet PC
>> Edition of Windows XP.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Kim sews wrote:
>> > I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS
>> > places. I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it.
>> > Just went to a site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and
>> > one for XP x64. I've never seen this before and wondering which one to
>> > get. I'm also wondering if maybe that is why my tablet has never been
>> > abled to be configured on this computer.

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2005
Kim sews wrote:
> I know this is a stupid question, but I don't usually hang in the OS places.
> I have a computer with XP Pro pre-installed when I bought it. Just went to a
> site to upgrade drivers and they had 2. One for XP and one for XP x64. I've
> never seen this before and wondering which one to get. I'm also wondering if
> maybe that is why my tablet has never been abled to be configured on this
> computer.



If you have to ask, you're almost definitely running a 32-bit
version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have
noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium
II CPU required to run the original 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or
whether or not you purchased a computer with an AMD64 CPU. There is, of
course, no 64-bit version of WinXP Home.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and
press <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state
that you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DebugView help not working on Windows XP X64 Pro and Windows 7 x64 (?) Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 4 08-11-2009 09:41 PM
my computer won't let me format from Vista x64 to XP Pro x64 Denise Windows 64bit 9 07-02-2008 10:38 PM
Switching from XP Pro X64 to Vista X64 Denise Windows 64bit 8 06-28-2008 11:17 PM
64-bit dual core: vista business x64 or XP Pro x64? Jon Windows 64bit 1 05-29-2007 06:53 PM
XP Pro x64 to Vista Biz x64 Upgrade Possible Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Windows 64bit 6 11-06-2006 06:52 AM



Advertisments