Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > step by step dual boot X-64 and Xp

step by step dual boot X-64 and Xp

=?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

has anyone seen a page that has a step by step for how to dual boot x64

I would has send is direct to mircosoft but of course the brilliant database
told me these is no support for X-64 in "My Country" --- my country.. I'm in
Las Vegas las time I looked we were still part of the USA .. if I'm
mistaking please send me info as to what Country Las Vegas is now part or or
how to contact X-64 support from planets outside of the Solar System (this is
assuming that computers on other planets use Microsoft Windows OS not because
its a best OS.. but because it came from the store with Microsoft already
installed)

John Barnes

Somewhat depends on the setup you have. X-64 is installed so do you intend
to add x86 to another drive or to another partition on the same drive. If
the latter, how did your computer come setup. Does it have another partition
large enough. Did your system come with an X64 install disk or a restore
disk that repartitions and installs everything including x64. All these are
necessary to even begin to answer.
Your product is OEM so the only help you get is from the system maker, your
own research and this site. Microsoft has NO support for this product and
don't care, since they won't even have other groups provide drivers for
Microsoft labeled hardware and software.

"Photohammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone seen a page that has a step by step for how to dual boot x64
>
> I would has send is direct to mircosoft but of course the brilliant
> database
> told me these is no support for X-64 in "My Country" --- my country.. I'm
> in
> Las Vegas las time I looked we were still part of the USA .. if I'm
> mistaking please send me info as to what Country Las Vegas is now part or
> or
> how to contact X-64 support from planets outside of the Solar System (this
> is
> assuming that computers on other planets use Microsoft Windows OS not
> because
> its a best OS.. but because it came from the store with Microsoft already
> installed)

=?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

let's say best case...
all software is Microsoft no OEM's
multiple hard-drives
start from clean there is nothing that can't be formated over

issue's and my complex work around

system is used 95% for video editiing - only thing that matters is color
correct monitors and speed..

system has a 3 head video card.. when used with XP you have 2 independant
monitors and a third monitor that only kicks in from the video overlay
meaning if your editing video the source material and the playback as to how
it will really look is displayed on your monitor and on a tv at the same
time..

of course the full drivers to do this with x64 are not avalible - but should
be in about 3 months... so when running under x64 you have only limited color
and monitor control and forget about tv output

...here is what I do...

have 2 drives in hotswap trays and 3 more drives in the system.. XP-32 on a
drive XP-64 on the other.. I work in 32-bit so I can see what I'm doing,
then shutdown repatch the monitor cables reboot with the x64 drive -- now
open adobe premiere and let the computer encode the video based on the
settings done in x-32

why -- cause a typical hd video take 4-6 hours to encode in 32bit and half
that time or faster in 64bit --

what would be ideal until more drivers and software were available (BTW 32
bit software will run SLOWER on x64 than it does on x32 - this fact from
microsoft and my own tests)

Ideal is to have a small 20gb partition on a large drive use the bulk of
that drive to run xp-32 and the have x64 in the other .. and it just to be a
menu chooice at bootup as to what to start

Thanks hope this is not more than you wanted to know...

Mike Hammer

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Somewhat depends on the setup you have. X-64 is installed so do you intend
> to add x86 to another drive or to another partition on the same drive. If
> the latter, how did your computer come setup. Does it have another partition
> large enough. Did your system come with an X64 install disk or a restore
> disk that repartitions and installs everything including x64. All these are
> necessary to even begin to answer.
> Your product is OEM so the only help you get is from the system maker, your
> own research and this site. Microsoft has NO support for this product and
> don't care, since they won't even have other groups provide drivers for
> Microsoft labeled hardware and software.
>

> "Photohammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > has anyone seen a page that has a step by step for how to dual boot x64
> >
> > I would has send is direct to mircosoft but of course the brilliant
> > database
> > told me these is no support for X-64 in "My Country" --- my country.. I'm
> > in
> > Las Vegas las time I looked we were still part of the USA .. if I'm
> > mistaking please send me info as to what Country Las Vegas is now part or
> > or
> > how to contact X-64 support from planets outside of the Solar System (this
> > is
> > assuming that computers on other planets use Microsoft Windows OS not
> > because
> > its a best OS.. but because it came from the store with Microsoft already
> > installed)

John Barnes

Should be real simple. Install x32 on one hard drive. Then install x64 on
the second hard drive. I would suggest that you partition and format each
install.

> [...]
>> > has anyone seen a page that has a step by step for how to dual boot x64
>> >
>> > I would has send is direct to mircosoft but of course the brilliant
>> > database
>> > told me these is no support for X-64 in "My Country" --- my country..
>> > I'm
>> > in
>> > Las Vegas las time I looked we were still part of the USA .. if I'm
>> > mistaking please send me info as to what Country Las Vegas is now part
>> > or
>> > or
>> > how to contact X-64 support from planets outside of the Solar System
>> > (this
>> > is
>> > assuming that computers on other planets use Microsoft Windows OS not
>> > because
>> > its a best OS.. but because it came from the store with Microsoft

VWWall

John Barnes wrote:
> Should be real simple. Install x32 on one hard drive. Then install x64 on
> the second hard drive. I would suggest that you partition and format each
> install.

Beware if you have any other OS on a separate partition on the first
hard drive! Win x64 will rewrite the master boot record on that drive,
even though it's being installed to the second drive.

I had to re-do my Linux boot loader. Fortunately, Linux is not so
bossy. It happily lets me boot into Win 32 or x64.

--
Virg Wall

=?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

of course.. I learned the hard way.... but it took 2 or 3 tries to fully
grasp the power of x64... do ya think maybe microsoft should have put a big
ass size flashing yellow letter.. hey UNPLUG any drive you don't want wiped
out.. yes x64 only formats and installs were you tell it, but as noted it
wipes out the boot record (if you don't know whst thst means.. in a nutshell
it flicks off a setting in your other harddrives and makes them blank.. not
reformated just blank)

thank the good people at -Active Undelete- it pulled my butt out of the
sling every other day...

-- other lessons the hardway were

never install x64 unless you have check 3 times that you have the video
driver and the lan/modem driver on DISKS of somekind... or you'll be
reloading your old OS to get a dinky driver file.. est time 2-4 hours if your
lucky

unplug any harddrive you dont want wiped out before starting.. est time to
undelete and rebuild 6-24 hours and you will lose some data - meaning if you
recover 6,000 files the 3 you need or want are hosed and the 5,997 are stuff
you had backups of

x64 is SLOWER than x32 unless you have programs made just for x64 then it
can kick ass... so unless your really need its don't do it... your gonna go
back - remember it's a beta and it will be a year before it's really ready -
and at this time yes there is some programs that are x64 but not enough

x64 HATES your old software.. TV cards.. no way, if you could run it with
win 98 or win me -- its not gonna load in x64 -- and keep this in mind, they
will tell you new updates are on the way anyday that will make it work... ahh
lets see win98 got its bugs work out aroung 2002... so you guess when the
updates will be ready

"VWWall" wrote:

> John Barnes wrote:
> > Should be real simple. Install x32 on one hard drive. Then install x64 on
> > the second hard drive. I would suggest that you partition and format each
> > install.

> Beware if you have any other OS on a separate partition on the first
> hard drive! Win x64 will rewrite the master boot record on that drive,
> even though it's being installed to the second drive.
>
> I had to re-do my Linux boot loader. Fortunately, Linux is not so
> bossy. It happily lets me boot into Win 32 or x64.
>
> --
> Virg Wall

=?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

maybe you missed my point -- thats what I have but it's lots of wasted hd
space and not helpfull to share data if you swap the drive...

I really need to try an do a dual boot - I know it can be done I just can't
find the details

"John Barnes" wrote:

> [...]
> >> intend
> >> to add x86 to another drive or to another partition on the same drive.
> >> If
> >> the latter, how did your computer come setup. Does it have another
> >> partition
> >> large enough. Did your system come with an X64 install disk or a restore
> >> disk that repartitions and installs everything including x64. All these
> >> are
> >> necessary to even begin to answer.
> >> Your product is OEM so the only help you get is from the system maker,
> >> your
> >> own research and this site. Microsoft has NO support for this product
> >> and
> >> don't care, since they won't even have other groups provide drivers for
> >> Microsoft labeled hardware and software.
> >>

> >> "Photohammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Dennis Pack

I setup my hard drive with 3 partitions. 1)xp32, 2)xp64, 3)data files.
Installed xp32 in partition1, then installed xp64 in partition 2. After
reboot on start-up the dual boot screen gives a choice of xp32 or xp64, the
dual boot is setup when the second operating system is installed.

> [...]
>> > now
>> > open adobe premiere and let the computer encode the video based on the
>> > settings done in x-32
>> >
>> > why -- cause a typical hd video take 4-6 hours to encode in 32bit and
>> > half
>> > that time or faster in 64bit --
>> >
>> > what would be ideal until more drivers and software were available (BTW
>> > 32
>> > bit software will run SLOWER on x64 than it does on x32 - this fact
>> > from
>> > microsoft and my own tests)
>> >
>> > Ideal is to have a small 20gb partition on a large drive use the bulk
>> > of
>> > that drive to run xp-32 and the have x64 in the other .. and it just to
>> > be
>> > menu chooice at bootup as to what to start
>> >
>> > Thanks hope this is not more than you wanted to know...

miso@sushi.com

After reading the posts, I'm kind of glad I set up the partitions with
Partition Magic. PM makes some claim that you should always build the
partition with PM so that the program is aware of all the partitions.
[Reality, who knows.]

I can tell you that PM hung up once when running on my x64 partition,
so I run it from the XP partition. I didn't lose any data.