Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP x64 Installation hangs on "Setup is Starting Windows"

XP x64 Installation hangs on "Setup is Starting Windows"

=?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=

That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the setup
process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
Windows" step.

Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on the
system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid wackiness.

System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and a
DVDR on it.

If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like it
so far googling..thanks.

PJB

I have the same Tyan board and experience no problems. I used a SATA drive
and only 2Gb Ram at first. But I did buy registered memory. If you haven't
that could be a problem. The other issue could be P/Supply, you need a 650w
P/S and plenty of cooling.

What processor/s are you using?
What version of 64 bit windows are you installing? If it is the demo from MS
I hear all sorts of problems with it but non like yours. I bought XP x64 and
everything installed without any hassles except the audio drivers. I
downloaded them from nVidia.
Hope this helps.

--
Peter Banks
Wellington, NZ

"dbartley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the
> setup
> process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
> Windows" step.
>
> Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on
> the
> system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid
> wackiness.
>
> System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
> SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and a
> DVDR on it.
>
> If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
> know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like
> it
> so far googling..thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Using 2 Opteron 275s, all stock/auto timings.

The ram is ECC registered, it is fully populated though, 8 1GB sticks
instead of 4 2GB, but that shouldn't in theory make a difference either. I've
got a big P/S and enough fans to do a scene from Twister, as far as I know
it's all OK otherwise. I guess I could start over with less ram and see if it
finds its mojo.

One further mystery now is that on a whim just now I decided to try an XP 32
cd from another machine on it to see if it would get further, and it seemed
quite happy to continue on past the point that x64 stops, so now I really
have no idea. If it wasn't for the fact the other XP was in use, I'd go all
the way through and investigate further, but still, should work likewise with
x64. All else fails I'll get another XP and try a dual boot, but it's still
rather strange.

I can't get a version number off the x64 disc, but it's a full release
version, ie not the trial download, bought it last week so it should be
pretty current I'd hope.

Anyway thanks again, will keep poking at it.

"PJB" wrote:

> I have the same Tyan board and experience no problems. I used a SATA drive
> and only 2Gb Ram at first. But I did buy registered memory. If you haven't
> that could be a problem. The other issue could be P/Supply, you need a 650w
> P/S and plenty of cooling.
>
> What processor/s are you using?
> What version of 64 bit windows are you installing? If it is the demo from MS
> I hear all sorts of problems with it but non like yours. I bought XP x64 and
> everything installed without any hassles except the audio drivers. I
> downloaded them from nVidia.
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Peter Banks
> Wellington, NZ
>

> "dbartley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the
> > setup
> > process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
> > Windows" step.
> >
> > Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on
> > the
> > system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid
> > wackiness.
> >
> > System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
> > SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and a
> > DVDR on it.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
> > know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like
> > it
> > so far googling..thanks.

Tony Sperling

First of all 'firsts' is, make sure you have the very latest 64bit drivers
for everything. If anything is older than three - four months you must have
so called 'decorated drivers' - which is basically only a couple extra tags
in the *.INF file - but it must be there. If you cannot get them it can be
done manualy, and even if they are newer, they may be lacking in this
requirement. Let's assume for now that it is not your RAM, though.

Greetings, Tony. . .

> [...]
>>

>> "dbartley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the
>> > setup
>> > process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
>> > Windows" step.
>> >
>> > Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on
>> > the
>> > system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid
>> > wackiness.
>> >
>> > System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
>> > SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and
>> > DVDR on it.
>> >
>> > If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let
>> > me
>> > know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly

=?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=

Ah yes I have the latest drivers for everything on a disc ready to go, but
this is way way before any of that comes into play..it literally does not get
past that initial blue setup screen, you know right after "Setup is
inspecting your configuration.." and then it loads all the basic setup files,
and the next step should be disk setup, etc. etc. it dies there.

Thanks for the heads up though, if it ever reaches that point I've got 'em
all ready.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> First of all 'firsts' is, make sure you have the very latest 64bit drivers
> for everything. If anything is older than three - four months you must have
> so called 'decorated drivers' - which is basically only a couple extra tags
> in the *.INF file - but it must be there. If you cannot get them it can be
> done manualy, and even if they are newer, they may be lacking in this
> requirement. Let's assume for now that it is not your RAM, though.
>
> Greetings, Tony. . .
>
>(edited previous messages)

Tony Sperling

In that case, I would clean the disc; clean the drive; examin the disc in
front of a good light source - they can have little holes(very small);
re-burn the disc - if you didn't buy it; anything of that sort. The only
other thing that I could suggest is if you have fresh SATA drives
connected - my present desktop would not do anything with that attached
before I installed the Motherboard supported 32bit drivers - I was already
dual-booting but hadn't used the SATA stuff before winx64.

Tony. . .

"dbartley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ah yes I have the latest drivers for everything on a disc ready to go, but
> this is way way before any of that comes into play..it literally does not
> get
> past that initial blue setup screen, you know right after "Setup is
> inspecting your configuration.." and then it loads all the basic setup
> files,
> and the next step should be disk setup, etc. etc. it dies there.
>
> Thanks for the heads up though, if it ever reaches that point I've got 'em
> all ready.
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> First of all 'firsts' is, make sure you have the very latest 64bit
>> drivers
>> for everything. If anything is older than three - four months you must
>> have
>> so called 'decorated drivers' - which is basically only a couple extra
>> tags
>> in the *.INF file - but it must be there. If you cannot get them it can
>> be
>> done manualy, and even if they are newer, they may be lacking in this
>> requirement. Let's assume for now that it is not your RAM, though.
>>
>> Greetings, Tony. . .
>>
>>(edited previous messages)

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBSb3l0bWFu?=

Hello,

Any progress with your problem?

I have a similar one - setup would freeze on loading windows. Accidentaly I
discover that if I wait 10-15 minutes it suddenly wakes up and proceeds. I
was able to install xp64 and everything seem to work !except! it takes 15
minutes to load windows - the same issue it gets stuch somewhere at the very
begining and sits there for 10-15 minutes then wakes up and boots properly

I have Tyan k8we with 4G ram and 1 AMD 280 dualcore processor. Video is
NVIDIA Quattro FX1300, and SCSI LSI22320-R

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Alex

"dbartley" wrote:

> That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the setup
> process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
> Windows" step.
>
> Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on the
> system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid wackiness.
>
> System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
> SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and a
> DVDR on it.
>
> If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
> know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like it
> so far googling..thanks.

Tony Sperling

If you are having both IDE and SATA drives present during installation, you
would probably have that sort of problem. Don't know about SCSI, though.
With some systems you have to order the way the drives are numbered in BIOS,
since IDE drives always are counted first, and some systems will not boot if
you install to anything that isn't the 'first' drive. This is so, even when
the drives are visible and identified by the BIOS.

And do note that the drive enumeration is not affected by the Boot Sequence,
those are different concepts. If your BIOS supports editing the drive
numbers, set the drive you are installing to as number one, and set the Boot
Sequence accordingly.

If your BIOS does not support this, pull the DATA cable off the drives you
are not installing to.

And have 64bit drivers ready for all your hardware (and BIOS) as you
install.

Tony. . .

"Alex Roytman" <Alex http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Any progress with your problem?
>
> I have a similar one - setup would freeze on loading windows. Accidentaly
> discover that if I wait 10-15 minutes it suddenly wakes up and proceeds. I
> was able to install xp64 and everything seem to work !except! it takes 15
> minutes to load windows - the same issue it gets stuch somewhere at the
> very
> begining and sits there for 10-15 minutes then wakes up and boots properly
>
> I have Tyan k8we with 4G ram and 1 AMD 280 dualcore processor. Video is
> NVIDIA Quattro FX1300, and SCSI LSI22320-R
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated
>
> Thank you
>
> Alex
>
> "dbartley" wrote:
>
>> That's basically it, new system, boots up fine from the CD, begins the
>> setup
>> process, then either freezes or sits forever at the "Setup is Starting
>> Windows" step.
>>
>> Attempting install onto regular IDE drive 0, SATA drives are present on
>> the
>> system but not involved, should be pretty vanilla, no F6 or raid
>> wackiness.
>>
>> System is as follows, Tyan K8WE, 8GB ram, eVGA 7800GTX KO, and a little
>> SBLive 24. The primary IDE controller just has a 300GB ata133 drive and a
>> DVDR on it.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
>> know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like
>> it
>> so far googling..thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The system is timing out trying to enumerate something. Inspect
%windir%\setupapi.log for clues as to where the problem is. And go to the
Tyan site and download the latest drivers for your chipset, processor, BIOS,
Network card(s), etc.

Also, try booting with NO USB devices inserted and see if it's any
different.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64