Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit 7-zip

64 bit 7-zip

miso@sushi.com

When you install the 32 bit 7-zip on x64, the install seems to work but
the program does appear in the start-<all programs menu. In any event,
they now have a 64 bit version of the program which does work.
http://www.7-zip.org/
The compression software that comes with x64 is generally good enough,
but it can't handle tar or gz format.

ravi_mishra

by default none of the versions of windows ever handled those formats,
you can use wirar to handle tar or gz formats

--
ravi_mishra
ravi_mishra's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=936

Rick

> When you install the 32 bit 7-zip on x64, the install seems to work but
> the program does appear in the start-<all programs menu. In any event,
> they now have a 64 bit version of the program which does work.
> http://www.7-zip.org/
> The compression software that comes with x64 is generally good enough,
> but it can't handle tar or gz format.

I don't have any problems opening .tar and .gz files with the
installation I have on my computer, and I downloaded it from the same
site you list.

Perhaps you don't have your file associations set.

Piers James

he was referring to the built in MS compression program not supporting tar
or gz

news:(E-Mail Removed)...