Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Unable to setup printer

Unable to setup printer

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=

I was able to print from 32 bit apps (e.g. 32 bit IE, Word, Outlook)
yesterday. And today, I no longer can.

When I try to print from a 32 bit application, I get a dialog box that
says "before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or
printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install a
printer now?".

When I answer yes, I return to the print->General dialog and click on "Add a
printer" but, nothing happens. I cannot add a printer, select a printer. Non
of
the options except "Cancel" appear to work.

I can go through the same process with a 64 bit app (e.g. IE or notepad) and
it selects the default printer from the "print" dialog just fine.

HP support threw up their hands and claimed they don't support printing from
32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.

Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from the
manufacturer?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Which model printer is this? check http://www.planetamd64.com for any
updated drivers.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was able to print from 32 bit apps (e.g. 32 bit IE, Word, Outlook)
> yesterday. And today, I no longer can.
>
> When I try to print from a 32 bit application, I get a dialog box that
> says "before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or
> printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install
> printer now?".
>
> When I answer yes, I return to the print->General dialog and click on "Add
> printer" but, nothing happens. I cannot add a printer, select a printer.
> Non
> of
> the options except "Cancel" appear to work.
>
> I can go through the same process with a 64 bit app (e.g. IE or notepad)
> and
> it selects the default printer from the "print" dialog just fine.
>
> HP support threw up their hands and claimed they don't support printing
> from
> 32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.
>
> Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from
> the
> manufacturer?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Can you add a new printer from the printer wizard like a generic printer
and see if printing works to that?
Can you try adding a printer to print to a file rather than to a port like
LPT1?
What is the parallal port set to in the bios?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Unable to setup printer
<Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:32 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<printer now?".
<
[...]

Laserjet 2300dn. I have been to planetamd64 and tried everything I found
there. I don't think it's a printer driver problem. I can install the drivers
fine. And I can print from any x64 app (e.g. notepad, IE64).

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Which model printer is this? check http://www.planetamd64.com for any
> updated drivers.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I was able to print from 32 bit apps (e.g. 32 bit IE, Word, Outlook)
> > yesterday. And today, I no longer can.
> >
> > When I try to print from a 32 bit application, I get a dialog box that
> > says "before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or
> > printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install
> > printer now?".
> >
> > When I answer yes, I return to the print->General dialog and click on "Add
> > printer" but, nothing happens. I cannot add a printer, select a printer.
> > Non
> > of
> > the options except "Cancel" appear to work.
> >
> > I can go through the same process with a 64 bit app (e.g. IE or notepad)
> > and
> > it selects the default printer from the "print" dialog just fine.
> >
> > HP support threw up their hands and claimed they don't support printing
> > from
> > 32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.
> >
> > Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from
> > the
> > manufacturer?

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=

Thanks for your reply.

If I add a generic printer, I can print to it from any 64bit app like
notepad or 64bit IE. When printing from a 32 bit app, I get an unknown error.
I get this while printing to both LPT1 or a TCP/IP port (which is my
preferred way of connecting to the printer). This is the same behaviour
regardless of the printer installed.

I'll look at the BIOS settings when I reboot. Thanks for the tip.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Can you add a new printer from the printer wizard like a generic printer
> and see if printing works to that?
> Can you try adding a printer to print to a file rather than to a port like
> LPT1?
> What is the parallal port set to in the bios?
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Unable to setup printer
> <Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:32 -0700
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <printer now?".
> <
> <When I answer yes, I return to the print->General dialog and click on "Add
> <printer" but, nothing happens. I cannot add a printer, select a printer.
> Non
> <of
> <the options except "Cancel" appear to work.
> <
> <I can go through the same process with a 64 bit app (e.g. IE or notepad)
> and
> <it selects the default printer from the "print" dialog just fine.
> <
> <HP support threw up their hands and claimed they don't support printing
> from
> <32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.
> <
> <Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from
> the
> <manufacturer?
> <

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Tim,
That tells me then that it's likely not a issue with driver or an issue
with the port.
So I would look at the spooler to see if there is something that doesn't
look correct in that structure.
Are you printing local or to a print server?
What are the files and folders under \windows\system32\spool?

under system 32 look for spoolss.dll, winspool.drv, and spoolsv.exe
Check they are the 64-bit files, they should be.

also check under syswow64, look at winspool.drv and winspool.exe
These should be 32-bit files.

You can use filever from the support.cab that ships with X64 to check the
version of the files as well as platform of the files.
Are these files correct and are they located at the correct locations and
not at other locations.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: RE: Unable to setup printer
<Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:33:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Thanks for your reply.
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
<> Hello,
<> Can you add a new printer from the printer wizard like a generic printer
<> and see if printing works to that?
<> Can you try adding a printer to print to a file rather than to a port
like
<> LPT1?
<> What is the parallal port set to in the bios?
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:32 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
[...]

I didn't think it was a driver issue either.

The system32\spool files are as you described. They are all 64bit.
Under syswow64\ the winspool.drv is 32bit but, winspool.exe is 16 bit. I
looked on the os install disk and didn't find a 32bit version.

I print to a print server (tcp/ip). I have tried connecting to lpt1 without
any difference.

The file structure under system32\spool seems straightforward.

drivers\color\a bunch of files (icc and icm)
\w32x86\3\ empty
\win40\ empty
\x64\3\ a bunch of files for the hp2200 printer. auto installed
when setting up the printer. there's also a temp directory here.
printers - empty
prtprocs...\W32X86\HPPRN05.DLL
\win40\
\x64\hpzpp3xy.DLL

Thanks very much for weighing in.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> "Add
> <> a
> <> <printer" but, nothing happens. I cannot add a printer, select a
> printer.
> <> Non
> <> <of
> <> <the options except "Cancel" appear to work.
> <> <
> <> <I can go through the same process with a 64 bit app (e.g. IE or
> notepad)
> <> and
> <> <it selects the default printer from the "print" dialog just fine.
> <> <
> <> <HP support threw up their hands and claimed they don't support printing
> <> from
> <> <32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.
> <> <
> <> <Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=

well. this problem was just one among a myriad of driver issues. Even capicom
objects couldn't be created in ASPs. So, I wiped the drive and went back to
winxp 32. I'll try again another day.

Thanks for the help