Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Support for Firewire

Support for Firewire

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9HaQ==?=

Can anyone please confirm for me whether or not Win XP Pro 64-bit can provide
native driver support for a generic PCI Firewire card? I wanted to know
before spending the cash on one.

Andre Da Costa

Jud Hendrix had posted some information concerning Windows XP and Firewire
and suspect the sam goes for x64 edition too:
Windows XP SP1 did not support FireWire800 (1394b). Nevertheless, it
worked, although the full performance of FireWire 800 wasn't achieved
in some cases. With the release of Service Pack 2, Microsoft decided
to no longer 'ignore' FireWire 800, but to treat it correctly
according to the current OHCI specifications (Open Host Controller
Interface). For Microsoft, at this time 'correctly' means switching to
the slowest transfer mode S100, equalling 100 Mbit per second, for
reasons of safety and compatibility.

Microsoft quotes unclear OHCI specifications as the reason for this
slow down. Indeed OHCI does not clearly define 1394b. Current FireWire
800 chips send a 2-bit speed code of 0x3 (instead of 0x2 = S400) in
the Self-ID-Packet 0. But OHCI only knows this code as 'reserved'. At
a second glance, however, it becomes obvious that Microsoft have
simply not looked closely enough, because there are additional
Self-ID-Packets being sent. Self-ID-packet 8 correctly specifies the
speed with the three-bit code 0x3 = S800. Packet 8 had been already
defined in the '1394a supplement', and is therefore not an innovation
of FireWire 800.

Microsoft's proceeding is thus at least controversial. In any case,
it's a prime example of a somewhat unworldly bureaucratic-mindedness.
Since there are no devices that only support S100, the need to
throttle the bus speed does not actually exist. At least we do not
know of any such devices, and as it seems Microsoft did not make this
change because of actual complaints about incompatibilities. One is
simply left wondering...

Here is some additional information about using Firwire with Windows XP
64-Bit Edition (I suspect thats for Itanium though).
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"NoGi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone please confirm for me whether or not Win XP Pro 64-bit can
> provide
> native driver support for a generic PCI Firewire card? I wanted to know
> before spending the cash on one.

Charlie Russel - MVP

No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

NoGi wrote:
> Can anyone please confirm for me whether or not Win XP Pro 64-bit can
> provide native driver support for a generic PCI Firewire card? I wanted
> to know before spending the cash on one.

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:23:46 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
>could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
>is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

So that means that a generic firewirecard _is_ supported.

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, that means that if your firewire chipset is supported, firewire will
work. I had to load no special drivers to get firewire support on any of my
machines. BUT, there may be a chipset out there that won't work. I don't
know, and can't confirm one way or another.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:23:46 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported.
>> How could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that
>> there is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

> So that means that a generic firewirecard _is_ supported.
>
> jud

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

I can say if the firewire chipset is from Texas Instruments it is supported
natively in x64. Also, Unibrain has issued x64 drivers for their Firewire
boards that support 1394b.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> No, that means that if your firewire chipset is supported, firewire will
> work. I had to load no special drivers to get firewire support on any of my
> machines. BUT, there may be a chipset out there that won't work. I don't
> know, and can't confirm one way or another.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Jud Hendrix wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:23:46 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported.
> >> How could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that
> >> there is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

> > So that means that a generic firewirecard _is_ supported.
> >
> > jud

Colin Nowell

Which means that the whole range of 939 socketed motherboards from Gigabyte
are supported since they all use a Texas Instruments chipset AFAIK... (my
GA-K8NXP-9 worked out of the x64 box...)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can say if the firewire chipset is from Texas Instruments it is supported
> natively in x64.

Gatos Loco

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
>could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
>is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

I don't know if this helps, but creatives audigy 2 platinum sound card
has firewire. There are 64bit drivers for the sound card, so I am
assuming the firewire on that works. I haven't actually used the
firewire on the card so I don't know if it is working or not. But it
does have it and drivers.

If any of that helps.

gato loco

Charlie Russel - MVP

The single largest supplier of 1394 chipsets is TI, so hitting that one
alone gets you the vast majority of the possibilities.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64