Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > installing Win2k3 server 32-bit on IA64?

installing Win2k3 server 32-bit on IA64?

=?Utf-8?B?cmlhcGhv?=

I came into possession of an Intel 64-bit server, but I don't have Windows
Server 2003 64-bit version.

Could I go ahead and install Windows 2003 Server Standard (the old 32-bit
version) on this hardware and will it still run reliably?

(Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't have much
experience with these 64-bit CPUs.)

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"riapho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I came into possession of an Intel 64-bit server, but I don't have Windows
> Server 2003 64-bit version.
>
> Could I go ahead and install Windows 2003 Server Standard (the old 32-bit
> version) on this hardware and will it still run reliably?
>
> (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't have much
> experience with these 64-bit CPUs.)

This rather depends

If the Server contains an Intel Itanium processor then no you cannot install
the 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

If the server contains an Intel Pentium or Xeon processor then yes you can.

The Intel Itanium processor is not capable of running our 32-bit operating
systems - you would need the specific Itanium version (IA-64) of our 64-bit
operating systems and products to run on it.

To check the processor type watch the screen at power on or have a look in
the BIOS etc or even just check with the server manufacturer or on their web
site etc..

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"riapho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I came into possession of an Intel 64-bit server, but I don't have Windows
> Server 2003 64-bit version.
>
> Could I go ahead and install Windows 2003 Server Standard (the old 32-bit
> version) on this hardware and will it still run reliably?
>
> (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't have much
> experience with these 64-bit CPUs.)

Andre Da Costa

There is a trial for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium Systems:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com