Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Media Center Edition?

Media Center Edition?

=?Utf-8?B?QW1vbmQ=?=

I have an aging PC that I would like to replace with a Media Center Edition
PC, and I want it to be pretty beefy to handle the load for the next 3-5
years. Consequently, I would also like to get the 64 bit version of Windows,
but I can't find any information on when a 64bit Edition will be available
for MCE. What are the plans there?

NoNoBadDog!

"Amond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an aging PC that I would like to replace with a Media Center Edition
> PC, and I want it to be pretty beefy to handle the load for the next 3-5
> years. Consequently, I would also like to get the 64 bit version of
> Windows,
> but I can't find any information on when a 64bit Edition will be available
> for MCE. What are the plans there?

No 64 bit version is planned.

You should still get a 64 bit AMD processor...buying a 32 bit based system
at this point in time would be foolish.

Bobby

Bruce Chambers

Amond wrote:
> I have an aging PC that I would like to replace with a Media Center Edition
> PC, and I want it to be pretty beefy to handle the load for the next 3-5
> years. Consequently, I would also like to get the 64 bit version of Windows,
> but I can't find any information on when a 64bit Edition will be available
> for MCE. What are the plans there?

So far, Microsoft has steadfastly maintained that there will be no
64-bit version of WinXP MCE.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Charlie Russel - MVP

Buy a chip that will support x64 Edition, and then buy 32-bit Windows MCE.
No 64-bit version has been announced, though it has been stated that there
will be MCE functionality in Vista Premium Home Edition. And that all
versions of Vista will be available in both 64bit and 32bit. By buying a
chip that supports x64 now, you're positioning yourself for the future.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Amond wrote:
> I have an aging PC that I would like to replace with a Media Center
> Edition PC, and I want it to be pretty beefy to handle the load for the
> next 3-5 years. Consequently, I would also like to get the 64 bit
> version of Windows, but I can't find any information on when a 64bit
> Edition will be available for MCE. What are the plans there?

Andre Da Costa

Actually Charlie, that is speculation and has not been confirmed, although
it seems that there will be a separate SKU for both MCE and Tablet will be
native 32/64 bit and will be optional at install time for the user to choose
which version to install according to their hardware architecture.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Buy a chip that will support x64 Edition, and then buy 32-bit Windows MCE.
> No 64-bit version has been announced, though it has been stated that there
> will be MCE functionality in Vista Premium Home Edition. And that all
> versions of Vista will be available in both 64bit and 32bit. By buying a
> chip that supports x64 now, you're positioning yourself for the future.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Amond wrote:
>> I have an aging PC that I would like to replace with a Media Center
>> Edition PC, and I want it to be pretty beefy to handle the load for the
>> next 3-5 years. Consequently, I would also like to get the 64 bit
>> version of Windows, but I can't find any information on when a 64bit
>> Edition will be available for MCE. What are the plans there?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Nope, saw it in public recently.

So now I can talk about it.
--