Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > remastering bootable ia64 CD

remastering bootable ia64 CD

Has anyone successfully created a bootable IA64 Windows disc. For
32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
original Microsoft disc.

Tony Sperling

This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't need
for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?

Tony. . .

"W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone successfully created a bootable IA64 Windows disc. For
> 32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
> bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
> original Microsoft disc.

Tried it using UltraISO but the resulting disc was not recognized as a
bootable disc.

"Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't need
>for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?
>
>Tony. . .
>

>"W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Has anyone successfully created a bootable IA64 Windows disc. For
>> 32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
>> bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
>> original Microsoft disc.

Tony Sperling

Not knowing of that one, I just had a look at their site. It would look as
just the thing you need. So, what isn't working the way we expect? Let's
have a look at a few of the possibilities:

1. You are trying to boot a machine that is not an Itanium.
2. You didn't understand the ISO format and burned the CD as 'something
other'.
3. You burned the CD on a machine other than the one you are trying to
boot.
4. You used a CDRW as medium.
5. A combination of #'s 3 & 4.
6. Your CD isn't set as bootable in the BIOS setup.
7. You are trying to edit the ISO itself directly.

Not trying to be offensive - just a list of things that has a habbit of
cropping up here.

Tony. . .

"W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tried it using UltraISO but the resulting disc was not recognized as a
> bootable disc.
>
> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't
>>need
>>for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?
>>
>>Tony. . .
>>

>>"W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Has anyone successfully created a bootable IA64 Windows disc. For
>>> 32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
>>> bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
>>> original Microsoft disc.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Actually the process for Itanium is quite a bit different so it's very
likely not being generated properly.
With an Itanium CD you have two volumes on the cd, one CDFS which is what
is seen by the OS and is very much like an X86 or X64 cd image.
There is also a FAT partition which contains the EFI file which are needed
to start setup, this is visible when you are booted into the EFI shell.
Most EFI shells only display the EFI volume. Windows only displays the
CDFS volume and not the EFI (fat) volume.. So you would need the ability
to create a multi-session cd with both volumes on is.

it's discussed in this article that is talking about WinPE.
303891 How to create a custom startup WinPE CD-ROM in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303891

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: remastering bootable ia64 CD
<Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:38:42 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<>
<> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<>
<>>This may be quite naive, but couldn't you exchange the files you don't
<>>need
<>>for the ones you do need on a existing '*.ISO' and write it back?
<>>
<>>Tony. . .
<>>
<>>
<>>"W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
<>>> Has anyone successfully created a bootable IA64 Windows disc. For
<>>> 32-bit Windows I can add/update new drivers and make the disc
<>>> bootable, but I haven't been able to make a bootable disc like the
<>>> original Microsoft disc.
<>>
<
<
<

I got it figured out:

It required the SETUPLDR.EFI and /EFI/BOOT/BOOTIA64.EFI files on a FAT
partition (in my case a floppy) that I copied off Microsoft media in
an EFI shell. This became the "boot source" using Nero Enterprise
Edition (anything less doesn't have the ability to create a EFI boot
disc.) On the boot tab select no emulation and EFI bootable. Add
modified Microsoft content and burn.

I couldn't find any hints on the Internet as to how this gets done.
Not even in Nero's documentation.