Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > install.exe is 16-bit can the programs .exe file be 32-bit?

install.exe is 16-bit can the programs .exe file be 32-bit?

canonjon

Hell

I have 3 old games ( blade runner, grim fandango and monkey island 4
and I have some old dictionaries. I cant install them. So I
wondering if the install.exe is 16-bit can the programs .exe file b
32-bit

--
canonjo
canonjon's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=128

Ken Halter

"canonjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello
>
> I have 3 old games ( blade runner, grim fandango and monkey island 4)
> and I have some old dictionaries. I cant install them. So Im
> wondering if the install.exe is 16-bit can the programs .exe file be
> 32-bit?

The installer for an app is generally not related to the app at all... iow,
someone may've used an old 16 bit version of InstallShield to build a setup
package for a brand new app.

If they're old games, using 16 bit installers, chances are the installers
aren't doing anything fancy... which means they're easily tracked so you may
be able to manually install them, one dll at a time, if the installer's
causing problems. fwiw, I use System Mechanic 5. It has all kinds of stuff,
including a utility to track changes to your system caused by installing
software (or anything else). It'll give you a report of every registry key
that's changed/added/removed, every file/folder that's been
changed/added/removed, etc, etc. between any 2 points in time.
(http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm)

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - http://www.vbsight.com
DLL Hell problems? Try ComGuard - http://www.vbsight.com/ComGuard.htm

Mercury

you can sometimes use the 32bit more modern installer s/w in place of the
16bit installer. go to the installer product vendor website and look around
for a 32 bit version. if the target is 16 bit, sorry....