Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Intellitype / Intellipoint?

Intellitype / Intellipoint?

=?Utf-8?B?bWVuemllcw==?=

This has probably been done to death, but does *anyone* have a rough idea of
when we're likely to see Intellitype and Intellipoint for Windows XP x64?

It's just kinda strange (and annoying) that Microsoft has released this
operating system without releasing drivers for their own hardware.

Apart from that, no complaints with x64!

NoNoBadDog!

"menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has probably been done to death, but does *anyone* have a rough idea
> of
> when we're likely to see Intellitype and Intellipoint for Windows XP x64?
>
> It's just kinda strange (and annoying) that Microsoft has released this
> operating system without releasing drivers for their own hardware.
>
> Apart from that, no complaints with x64!

Microsoft has stated they have no plans to produce 64 bit drivers anytime in
the near future.
FWIW, Logitech has 64 bit drivers for it's mice/keyboards/game controllers
etc, and their build quality and functionality are far superior to anything
MS has. MS sees their hardware as disposable/expendable, and they are
rather cheaply built. Logitech hardware will both outperform and outlast
anything that Microsoft, Kensinton or the others have.

Bobby

John Barnes

Here is from Charlie

-------

As others have commented, the answer isn't good. I got the following
official word from the Intellipoint group:

"Microsoft mice and keyboards have basic functionality with the new
64-bit operating systems, but the newer features like the Magnifier,
Tilt Wheel or My Favorites Keys will not work. At this point, use of
64-bit operating systems is primarily limited to very early adopters. We
are looking into full compatibility with the 64-bit operating system for
future products and will keep you updated if we have any announcements. "

Unofficially, but OK to share, I got told that they're looking at first half
of next year. IOW, an entire year after the shipment of the OS.

Personally? Buy Logitech. I've always liked their stuff better anyway, and
at least they appear to be trying.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has probably been done to death, but does *anyone* have a rough idea
> of
> when we're likely to see Intellitype and Intellipoint for Windows XP x64?
>
> It's just kinda strange (and annoying) that Microsoft has released this
> operating system without releasing drivers for their own hardware.
>
> Apart from that, no complaints with x64!

=?Utf-8?B?bWVuemllcw==?=

Thanks for that guys, It's a bit disappointing, but what can ya do....

I don't really want to go buy Logitech at the moment, the hardware I've got
(Multimedia Natural Keyboard and an IntelliMouse), I'm quite happy with.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> [...]

>> half
>> of next year. IOW, an entire year after the shipment of the OS.
>>
>> Personally? Buy Logitech. I've always liked their stuff better anyway,
>> and
>> at least they appear to be trying.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> "menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > This has probably been done to death, but does *anyone* have a rough
>> > idea
>> > of
>> > when we're likely to see Intellitype and Intellipoint for Windows XP
>> > x64?
>> >
>> > It's just kinda strange (and annoying) that Microsoft has released this
>> > operating system without releasing drivers for their own hardware.
>> >
>> > Apart from that, no complaints with x64!

You'll be replacing them in short order anyway...as stated MS hardware just
does not hold up for very long.

Bobby

Piers James

i beg to differ. I have had an "internet keyboard pro" and intellimouse 3
for years and they both work perfectly. It's criminal MS are not producing
drivers for their own OS and hardware.

snip

> You'll be replacing them in short order anyway...as stated MS hardware
> just does not hold up for very long.
>
> Bobby

James Park

"Piers James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i beg to differ. I have had an "internet keyboard pro" and intellimouse 3
>for years and they both work perfectly. It's criminal MS are not producing
>drivers for their own OS and hardware.

As far as the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 goes, I've gone through about four,
and my friends have had theirs die on them too. It was the same pattern in
every case; it'd work for a few months or so, fade in and out for a couple
days, then die altogether. It was a shame because I really liked it. The
problem was so common that I vaugely remember Microsoft offering
replacements basically no questions asked.

Piers James

maybe the older hardware was better built and hence last longer, 'cos I
haven't had any problems at all.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...