Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > My experience with WinXP Pro x64 install

My experience with WinXP Pro x64 install

PJB

I thought I would let those who are interested know about my x64 install.

I looked at all the websites regarding 64 bit, including forums and decided
I might as build a fast system as a test bed for my clients. I also sell the
Epson wide format printers which require large files some 1Gbyte or more
using Photoshop.

In the end I choose a Tyan 2895 nVidia dual processor m/board with 2 x
2.6Ghz Dual Layer Opteron Processors, 8 Gb Ram, 2 x 160Gb Sata 7200 rpm HDD,
GeForce 6600 256MbVideo, DVD+RW, 650w P/supply and a purchased OEM Win XP
Pro x64.
I tried to d/l a trial version but MS never returned an email after I
registered. Since reading the forums I discovered that the trial may not
include alot of the drivers.
Anyway I installed Windows as if it was Win XP pro and everything went
perfectly. No F6 for sata drivers required as they were included on the
Disk.
I did d/l the nVidia drivers for my audio, but otherwise all went well.

I have not experienced any problems with IE 64bit or with P/Shop or anything
else yet.
Epson supplied all the 64 bit drivers for my printers and scanner and they
installed perfectly. My old HP LaserJet 5 had the drivers on the Win x64 CD.

Currently I have been testing on and off all week and never had a crash
except a few error messages with some 32 bit software that x64 didn't like.

My major problem is with the SBS2000 firewall client software not installing
onto XP 64 but I would expect that. I cannot use OE thru my server due to
that, so I connected my NIC directly to the router to get around this
problem in the meantime.

By the way P/Shop opens in about 7 secs. But takes about 3 minutes to resize
1.65Gb file compared to 23 minutes on my P4 3.0Ghz 2Gb Ram PC.

For my clients I will be using larger drives, and later a version of the
motherboard and probably more Ram, I could only get 1Gb pieces. This board
has 8 Ram skts and 2 x 1Gb Nics. So it is well featured for the graphics
market I am supplying.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to start with 64 bit computing.

Peter Banks
Wellington, NZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

Nice machine! And similar specs to one I've been considering building as a
dedicated Virtual Server machine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64