Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Up and Running

x64 Up and Running

=?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=

This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for a
flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board with
Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card, Athalon64 3000+,
2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus, TweakNow Registry
Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and this machine is running
clean. It helps to do your homework and listen to these guys cause two weeks
of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at setup and install. Thanks again.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making some
careful purchase decisions.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Zofo61 wrote:
> This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for a
> flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board
> with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card, Athalon64
> 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus, TweakNow
> Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and this machine
> is running clean. It helps to do your homework and listen to these guys
> cause two weeks of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at setup and
> install. Thanks again.

=?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=

I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we have"
seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us swallow a
little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as yourself. I am
constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this forum to argue instead
of shutting up and listen to someone who may know a little more on a
particular subject. This is a new age of computing and the one who thinks
they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say about that.

Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
more in the future.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making some
> careful purchase decisions.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Zofo61 wrote:
> > This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for a
> > flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board
> > with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card, Athalon64
> > 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus, TweakNow
> > Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and this machine
> > is running clean. It helps to do your homework and listen to these guys
> > cause two weeks of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at setup and
> > install. Thanks again.

Charlie Russel - MVP

We've all been through the pain of learning new stuff. I had absolutely ZERO
knowledge about x64 when I discovered, literally the Friday before a major
book on XP needed to ship on the following Wednesday, that MS had dropped
support for Itanium and was now touting "x64". Fortunately, I had good
contacts inside MS and a superb tech editor (fellow MVP Mitch Tulloch), and
we all got through it, and the 3rd Edition of the XP Resource Kit is
accurate where it talks about x64 Edition.

Since then, I've built two x64 machines of my own, and bought my x64
Ferrari. And written quite a few things about x64, learning all the time.
I'm here on this newsgroup with the sole goal of helping others make the
sometimes difficult transition to 64-bit computing. And I accept that there
will always be those who are smarter than I am, or who have a particular
agenda they want to push. That's the nature of newsgroups, and I'm actually
quite pleased with the overall tone of this one. We've had a couple of
tiffs, but folks have generally backed down and played positive roles in
helping to build this community.

I hope you stick around and help others. We all gain when we _listen_.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Zofo61 wrote:
> I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we
> have" seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
> swallow a little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as
> yourself. I am constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this
> forum to argue instead of shutting up and listen to someone who may know
> a little more on a particular subject. This is a new age of computing and
> the one who thinks they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say
> about that.
>
> Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
> more in the future.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
>> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
>> some careful purchase decisions.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Zofo61 wrote:
>>> This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for a
>>> flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board
>>> with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card,
>>> Athalon64 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus,
>>> TweakNow Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and
>>> this machine is running clean. It helps to do your homework and listen
>>> to these guys cause two weeks of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at
>>> setup and install. Thanks again.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well said both of you, I think instead of quarrelling over who knows best we
should come together in unison and demand 64 bit drivers for our hardware
and native 64 bit apps.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Zofo61" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we have"
> seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
> swallow a
> little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as yourself. I
> am
> constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this forum to argue
> instead
> of shutting up and listen to someone who may know a little more on a
> particular subject. This is a new age of computing and the one who thinks
> they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say about that.
>
> Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
> more in the future.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
>> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
>> some
>> careful purchase decisions.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Zofo61 wrote:
>> > This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for
>> > flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board
>> > with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card,
>> > Athalon64
>> > 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus, TweakNow
>> > Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and this
>> > machine
>> > is running clean. It helps to do your homework and listen to these guys
>> > cause two weeks of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at setup and
>> > install. Thanks again.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Charlie
Microsoft has not dropped support for Itanium.
There will be a Longhorn version that runs on Itanium.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...letins/longhor
n/itanium_faq.mspx
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: x64 Up and Running
<Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:59:59 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<
<Zofo61 wrote:
<> I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we
<> have" seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
<> swallow a little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as
<> yourself. I am constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this
<> forum to argue instead of shutting up and listen to someone who may know
<> a little more on a particular subject. This is a new age of computing and
<> the one who thinks they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say
<> about that.
<>
<> Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
<> more in the future.
<>
<> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
<>
<>> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up
and
<>> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
<>> some careful purchase decisions.
<>>
<>> --
<>> Charlie.
<>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<>>
<>> Zofo61 wrote:
<>>> This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum , for
<>>> flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board
<>>> with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card,
<>>> Athalon64 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast AntiVirus,
<>>> TweakNow Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates are fine and
<>>> this machine is running clean. It helps to do your homework and listen
<>>> to these guys cause two weeks of prep meant absolutely NO HEADACHES at
<>>> setup and install. Thanks again.
<
<
<

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, I know they haven't on the Server side. But on the client side, it's not
happening. And it was the client Resource Kit. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
IA64 makes a lot of sense in the server space, especially if you deal with
really big stuff. It's just not the right tool for clients, IMHO.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
> [...]
> <>> some careful purchase decisions.
> <>>
> <>> --
> <>> Charlie.
> <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> <>>
> <>> Zofo61 wrote:
> <>>> This is just to thank Charlie ,and all of the crew in this forum ,
> for a
> <>>> flawless transition to x64. I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
> board <>>> with Raid using two WD160GB Drives, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card,
> <>>> Athalon64 3000+, 2GB DDR RAM, DVD Burner and DVD ROM, Avast
> AntiVirus, <>>> TweakNow Registry Cleaner, and Office 2003. All updates
> are fine and <>>> this machine is running clean. It helps to do your
> homework and listen <>>> to these guys cause two weeks of prep meant
> absolutely NO HEADACHES at <>>> setup and install. Thanks again.

R. C. White

Hi, Charlie.

> we all got through it, and the 3rd Edition of the XP Resource Kit is
> accurate where it talks about x64 Edition.

THIRD edition of the XP RK? I've got the first and second editions; where
can I find the third? Did you write that?

I suppose I should wait for the Vista RK, but that will probably be well
over a year away. There's still a lot about x64 that I would love to have
explained before then. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> We've all been through the pain of learning new stuff. I had absolutely
> ZERO knowledge about x64 when I discovered, literally the Friday before a
> major book on XP needed to ship on the following Wednesday, that MS had
> dropped support for Itanium and was now touting "x64". Fortunately, I had
> good contacts inside MS and a superb tech editor (fellow MVP Mitch
> Tulloch), and we all got through it, and the 3rd Edition of the XP
> Resource Kit is accurate where it talks about x64 Edition.
>
> Since then, I've built two x64 machines of my own, and bought my x64
> Ferrari. And written quite a few things about x64, learning all the time.
> I'm here on this newsgroup with the sole goal of helping others make the
> sometimes difficult transition to 64-bit computing. And I accept that
> there will always be those who are smarter than I am, or who have a
> particular agenda they want to push. That's the nature of newsgroups, and
> I'm actually quite pleased with the overall tone of this one. We've had a
> couple of tiffs, but folks have generally backed down and played positive
> roles in helping to build this community.
>
> I hope you stick around and help others. We all gain when we _listen_.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Zofo61 wrote:
>> I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we
>> have" seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
>> swallow a little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as
>> yourself. I am constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this
>> forum to argue instead of shutting up and listen to someone who may know
>> a little more on a particular subject. This is a new age of computing and
>> the one who thinks they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say
>> about that.
>>
>> Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
>> more in the future.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up
>>> and
>>> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
>>> some careful purchase decisions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

Understood or not I was expressing my gratitude on different posts for all
here and also admitting that I know little or nothing but what I learn here,
there and everywhere, from all of you who take your time to help others.
My dry humor seems to not go over well. ("Sorry Charlie")
I DO THANK YOU ALL......( and yes Charlie R., you are "My Main Man
here"...... and thankyou again for your continueing help), john
Ps, Can we get Spell Check on Here?....lol...

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Well said both of you, I think instead of quarrelling over who knows best we
> should come together in unison and demand 64 bit drivers for our hardware
> and native 64 bit apps.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Zofo61" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would also like to add that in this teck world that we all think we have"
> > seen it all "and" know it all", it would be nice to see a few of us
> > swallow a
> > little pride and give the due repect, of individuals such as yourself. I
> > am
> > constantly disappointed in a certain few that use this forum to argue
> > instead
> > of shutting up and listen to someone who may know a little more on a
> > particular subject. This is a new age of computing and the one who thinks
> > they know it all is an idiot. Thats all I have to say about that.
> >
> > Thanks again for your support and guidance, I am sure I will be using it
> > more in the future.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the report back. Yes, it is possible to get x64 Edition up and
> >> running without pain. But it does take doing your homework and making
> >> some
> >> careful purchase decisions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, I worked on a limited revision of the Windows XP Resource Kit for
Microsoft Press. It's available wherever such things are sold, including
Amazon. We actually wanted to do a full scale revision, but ultimately we
only got the go ahead to do a targetted one. So there is full coverage of
the new Windows Firewall, and new coverage around Wireless networking, and
x64 Edition. And the entire book got a careful going over and tech edit that
found some errors as well.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64