Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > printer compatability

printer compatability

Torrey Lauer

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
needed.

I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started college
and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP Prof. x64.

Thanks for your replies!

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net

Charlie Russel - MVP

here's an easier way -- take the laptop and go to "add a printer". Just
follow the steps as if there were a printer there, and when it asks you what
printer you have, it will throw up a long list of printers that are
supported.

You could also parse "ntprint.inf", but that's more work to understand it
all, IMHO.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Torrey Lauer wrote:
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started
> college and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP
> Prof. x64.
> Thanks for your replies!

Leo

Torrey Lauer wrote:

>Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
>is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
>needed.
>
>I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started college
>and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP Prof. x64.
>
>Thanks for your replies!

This might be helpful:
http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm

Andre Da Costa

Epson Stylus CX 4600 and you can get drivers from Epson
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started
> college and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP
> Prof. x64.
>
> Thanks for your replies!
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net

Tony Sperling

Personally, I am very much in favor of HP. I have the PSC 2355 - it has an
amazing quality, so much that you would be a professional photographer to
ever consider buying the extra photo-cartridge - it is quite reasonable in
ink, and comes with a bug that makes the printing of brochures (4
pages/sheet) a pestilence. I am confident that this will be taken care of.
Only draw-back is the noisy paper transport - a feature it shares with all
Ink-Jets that I have come across.

HP - has official drivers - in 32bit it scans from the printers panel, in
64bit you have to go through the Control Panel applet, but the end result is
the same.

I have a habit of printing the PDF Manuals that comes with all kinds of
different products, these days. That is why I use the broschure facility
quite a lot, this means that the software turns the pages and scales A4 to
A5, so that you get 4 pages per sheet. This, naturally, scales to smaller
fonts as well, an operation that is performed without impairing the
readability of the 'fine print'. That is, primarily, why I call this
amazing. A student writing reports would absolutely love this gem.

Greetings, Tony. . .

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started
> college and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP
> Prof. x64.
>
> Thanks for your replies!
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net

Sam Crawford

On 5-Sep-2005, "Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
>
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.

Tore,

I have a HP Laserjet 1200 and a HP Officejet G85 working under x64.

I guess I have to ask. Why x64 for a college student who doesn't have the
skills to load it himself? While this version of Windows is what use
exclusively now, I'm comfortable supporting it myself. Given his/her skill
level, I wonder if XP Home or XP Pro might be a better choice?

VWWall

Torrey Lauer wrote:
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started college
> and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP Prof. x64.

Look in Windows\inf\ntprint.inf This is ~10K file--scroll down and you
will find a list of printers supported by WinXP x64, "out of the box".

There are new 64bit drivers becoming available on printer makers sites.

--
Virg Wall

=?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=

No problems with Brother HL - 1230 (Laser Printer)
Look at their Homepage for x64 driver.

"Torrey Lauer" wrote:

> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started college
> and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP Prof. x64.
>
> Thanks for your replies!
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net

Torrey Lauer

Thanks everyone! That has helped tremendously!

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could post which printer you have that
> is working with your Windows XP Prof. x64? Basic printing is all that is
> needed.
>
> I'm looking at buying a new pritner for my cousin that just started
> college and I just got him a new laptop on which I installed Windows XP
> Prof. x64.
>
> Thanks for your replies!
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net

Gatos Loco

My Canon PIXMA 5000 so far DOES NOT have drivers. I have just left it
hooked to one of my 32bit systems for now.

I suggest going to http://planetamd64.com/
They have some printer drivers there, as well as a fair amount of
info. Also as has been mentioned previously check the vendors web
sites of a printer that you have or are considering.

By the way how did the laptop install go for XP64? Is lt fully
functioning? and what kind is it?

Cheers
Gato Loco