Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Any free 64 bit firewall's yet?

Any free 64 bit firewall's yet?

DebB

Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this month
and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
appreciate the info.

Deb

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> On that one we have to cut some slack. Anyone who comes in via the web
> interface has no possibility of actually searching the newsgroup, I'm
> afraid. The options for searching are either an NNTP client that gives you
> search ability (OE does adequately), or google groups, where we are
> finally indexed and searchable.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> zekolas wrote:
>> DebB wrote:
>>> I couldn't locate any posts regarding free 64 bit firewalls

>> Did you actually search the form, because this question is asked and
>> answered about 2 time each week.

DebB

I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and there's
nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use the tools
and info provided .

I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.

"DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this month
> and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
> request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
> appreciate the info.
>
> Deb

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On that one we have to cut some slack. Anyone who comes in via the web
>> interface has no possibility of actually searching the newsgroup, I'm
>> afraid. The options for searching are either an NNTP client that gives
>> you search ability (OE does adequately), or google groups, where we are
>> finally indexed and searchable.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> zekolas wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you actually search the form, because this question is asked and
>>> answered about 2 time each week.

DebB

Hey John, nothing unusual in msconfig. I've searched the HDD in hidden files
and folders etc, with wild's at the beginning and end of the filename, also
the registry, but cannot locate anything using the keyword spyanytime.

Now I'm starting to get suspicious because there's precious little on the
name when I do a google search. I've caught spyware doctor out on other
occassions, when it's reported incorrectly, and I've been glad I only had
the freebie because it didn't get the chance to delete my files.

I don't think this is one of those occassions though because previously it's
always reported the correct name of the program and I recognise it
immediately as not being the threat reported.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check MSCONFIG startup and uncheck anything you don't recognise. You can
> usually get the info you need there to go delete it directly.
>

> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft are a target for every lunatic with too much spare time and
>> knowledge on their hands. This is the part of the reason that thier
>> software is not a very attractive security proposition.
>>
>> I just discovered a minute ago that according to Spyware Doctor, I've
>> already got a keylogger that's probably taking notes as I type.
>> "Spyanytime" it's called.
>>
>> GOOD GRIEF since installing the XP software, just over 24 hours ago, I
>> haven't been anywhere except the Microsoft site and a couple of innocent
>> Google searches !!! I'm completely miffed about how this could've
>> happened. I do have Avast AV that occassionally pops up and says it's
>> blocked a trojan.
>>
>> Windows firewall just isn't secure enough I don't think. I don't know how
>> the keylogger was delivered so I'm not sure how I'll go preventing a
>> recurrance. I've got protection and that's as good as it gets until a
>> firewall becomes available. Paying for Tiny firewall is looking more
>> attractive by the minute.
>>
>> The unregistered version of Spyware Doctor doesn't do removals and
>> there's no where on the net that offers manual removal information for
>> this specific keylogger.
>>
>> I'm downloading the Microsoft Spyware beta, but I didn't like it much
>> when I tried it last time, so we'll see if it locates and deletes the
>> keylogger.
>>
>> If not, then it's into the registry we go!!!!

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> And its free and fairly easy to configure.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> newsp.swm2xwxpj2q9yy@xpdesktop...

John Barnes

I haven't seen any free firewalls except the built in one since day one.
Now that Sygate has been absorbed by Norton I doubt there will be a free (or
even working) version available from them again.

"DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and
> there's nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use
> the tools and info provided .
>
> I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.
>
> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this month
>> and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
>> request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
>> appreciate the info.
>>
>> Deb

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On that one we have to cut some slack. Anyone who comes in via the web
>>> interface has no possibility of actually searching the newsgroup, I'm
>>> afraid. The options for searching are either an NNTP client that gives
>>> you search ability (OE does adequately), or google groups, where we are
>>> finally indexed and searchable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes

Have you noticed anything suspicious in the processes on task manager? As
you implied, there may be something bogus shown to get you to purchase the
product. Not too ethical!

"DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey John, nothing unusual in msconfig. I've searched the HDD in hidden
> files and folders etc, with wild's at the beginning and end of the
> filename, also the registry, but cannot locate anything using the keyword
> spyanytime.
>
> Now I'm starting to get suspicious because there's precious little on the
> name when I do a google search. I've caught spyware doctor out on other
> occassions, when it's reported incorrectly, and I've been glad I only had
> the freebie because it didn't get the chance to delete my files.
>
> I don't think this is one of those occassions though because previously
> it's always reported the correct name of the program and I recognise it
> immediately as not being the threat reported.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Check MSCONFIG startup and uncheck anything you don't recognise. You can
>> usually get the info you need there to go delete it directly.
>>

>> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Microsoft are a target for every lunatic with too much spare time and
>>> knowledge on their hands. This is the part of the reason that thier
>>> software is not a very attractive security proposition.
>>>
>>> I just discovered a minute ago that according to Spyware Doctor, I've
>>> already got a keylogger that's probably taking notes as I type.
>>> "Spyanytime" it's called.
>>>
>>> GOOD GRIEF since installing the XP software, just over 24 hours ago, I
>>> haven't been anywhere except the Microsoft site and a couple of innocent
>>> Google searches !!! I'm completely miffed about how this could've
>>> happened. I do have Avast AV that occassionally pops up and says it's
>>> blocked a trojan.
>>>
>>> Windows firewall just isn't secure enough I don't think. I don't know
>>> how the keylogger was delivered so I'm not sure how I'll go preventing a
>>> recurrance. I've got protection and that's as good as it gets until a
>>> firewall becomes available. Paying for Tiny firewall is looking more
>>> attractive by the minute.
>>>
>>> The unregistered version of Spyware Doctor doesn't do removals and
>>> there's no where on the net that offers manual removal information for
>>> this specific keylogger.
>>>
>>> I'm downloading the Microsoft Spyware beta, but I didn't like it much
>>> when I tried it last time, so we'll see if it locates and deletes the
>>> keylogger.
>>>
>>> If not, then it's into the registry we go!!!!
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Deb -- There aren't any free (or even commercial) 64 bit firewalls yet that
I'd recommend. Except the Windows Firewall that is included. (Same basic
functionality as the 32-bit one in XP SP2.) This is actually a very good
firewall. It's stateful, easy to configure, and I like it. It does NOT do
outbound firewalling. But, frankly, that's not what I want or need out of a
personal firewall. On the inbound side, it's quite good and I suggest you
give it a try.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

DebB wrote:
> I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and
> there's nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use
> the tools and info provided .
>
> I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.
>
> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this month
>> and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
>> request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
>> appreciate the info.
>>
>> Deb

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On that one we have to cut some slack. Anyone who comes in via the web
>>> interface has no possibility of actually searching the newsgroup, I'm
>>> afraid. The options for searching are either an NNTP client that gives
>>> you search ability (OE does adequately), or google groups, where we are
>>> finally indexed and searchable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

DebB

From what I've read that's unfortunate imhotep.

"Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:431c59fd$0$24152$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> I've a Nvidea Firewall.
> http://www.nvidia.de/object/security_de.html
>

> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:urf3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I couldn't locate any posts regarding free 64 bit firewalls and wondered
>>if anyone knows of any yet (apart from Win firewall of course), or an
>>expected release date so I can go back and check later?
>>
>> I have a list of software sites and other resources that I scour
>> regularly, but to no avail.

DebB

Thank you all for your invaluable insights and recommendations. I've tried
to trick the supposed keylogger into showing itself with the key combo
ctrl+shft+Y, but nothing shows up.

I've also checked the running processes, but nothing there. It's easy to see
the 32 bit versions and I'm assuming this program would still be a 32 bit.

AdAware scan results shows the currently running processes and lists the
file names so it was easy to double check that nothing unknown was running.

MS AntiSpyware didn't pick anything up either.

I'm guessing this keylogger could be impotent due to the 64 bit. Just to be
on the safe side I'm downloading a copy I found and installing it to try and
learn more about it's location and entries etc. Doesn't mean to say that
somebody didn't recompile it beyond it's previously recognisable footprints
and that I won't miss detecting it once again.

DebB

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deb -- There aren't any free (or even commercial) 64 bit firewalls yet
> that I'd recommend. Except the Windows Firewall that is included. (Same
> basic functionality as the 32-bit one in XP SP2.) This is actually a very
> good firewall. It's stateful, easy to configure, and I like it. It does
> NOT do outbound firewalling. But, frankly, that's not what I want or need
> out of a personal firewall. On the inbound side, it's quite good and I
> suggest you give it a try.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> DebB wrote:
>> I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and
>> there's nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use
>> the tools and info provided .
>>
>> I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.
>>
>> "DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this
>>> month
>>> and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
>>> request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
>>> appreciate the info.
>>>
>>> Deb
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Steve Thompson

DebB wrote:
> Thank you all for your invaluable insights and recommendations. I've tried
> to trick the supposed keylogger into showing itself with the key combo
> ctrl+shft+Y, but nothing shows up.
>
> I've also checked the running processes, but nothing there. It's easy to see
> the 32 bit versions and I'm assuming this program would still be a 32 bit.
>
> AdAware scan results shows the currently running processes and lists the
> file names so it was easy to double check that nothing unknown was running.
>
> MS AntiSpyware didn't pick anything up either.
>
> I'm guessing this keylogger could be impotent due to the 64 bit. Just to be
> on the safe side I'm downloading a copy I found and installing it to try and
> learn more about it's location and entries etc. Doesn't mean to say that
> somebody didn't recompile it beyond it's previously recognisable footprints
> and that I won't miss detecting it once again.
>
> DebB

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Deb -- There aren't any free (or even commercial) 64 bit firewalls yet
>>that I'd recommend. Except the Windows Firewall that is included. (Same
>>basic functionality as the 32-bit one in XP SP2.) This is actually a very
>>good firewall. It's stateful, easy to configure, and I like it. It does
>>NOT do outbound firewalling. But, frankly, that's not what I want or need
>>out of a personal firewall. On the inbound side, it's quite good and I
>>suggest you give it a try.
>>
>>--
>>Charlie.
>>http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>>DebB wrote:
>>
>>>I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and
>>>there's nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use
>>>the tools and info provided .
>>>
>>>I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.
>>>
>>>"DebB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:%(E-Mail Removed). ..

Hi DebB,

See this link
http://www.online64.net/topic,77,-sp...%3F%3F%3F.html