Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > activex in 64 bit

activex in 64 bit

Kue2

any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?

--
Hugh

Andre Da Costa

This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and content
based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not until
these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular version of
the browser. Just my opinion.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
>
> --
> Hugh

John Barnes

Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their own
ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
dialog.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and content
> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not until
> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular version
> of the browser. Just my opinion.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
>>
>> --
>> Hugh

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
I fail to see what point you are trying to make here.
64-bit Active-X controls work in the 64-bit browser.
32-bit Active-X controls work in the 32-bit browser.
Since most existing Active-X controls today are 32-bit, the default browser
is 32-bit, however links exist to the 64-bit broswer.
This gives users the best experience today while 64-bit Active-X controls
are being generated.
How is this letting 64-bit users down?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: activex in 64 bit
<Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their
own
<ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
<dialog.
<
<
<"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and content
<> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not until
<> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
<> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular
version
<> of the browser. Just my opinion.
<> --
<> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
<> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
<> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
<> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
<>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
<>>
<>> --
<>> Hugh
<>>
<>
<
<
<

Colin Nowell

Well, I'd say that the fact that the "Microsoft Genuine Advantage Programme"
doesn't work (and I have an open ticket with MS Support about it) and is
"broke" when running x64 Windows ("Operating System not supported") is a
pretty darn good reason....

Colin

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S$HK4z$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello John,
> I fail to see what point you are trying to make here.
> 64-bit Active-X controls work in the 64-bit browser.
> 32-bit Active-X controls work in the 32-bit browser.
> Since most existing Active-X controls today are 32-bit, the default
> browser
> is 32-bit, however links exist to the 64-bit broswer.
> This gives users the best experience today while 64-bit Active-X controls
> are being generated.
> How is this letting 64-bit users down?
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: activex in 64 bit
> <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their
> own
> <ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
> <dialog.
> <
> <
> <"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and
> content
> <> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not
> until
> <> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
> <> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular
> version
> <> of the browser. Just my opinion.
> <> --
> <> Andre
> <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
> <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
> <> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <> news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
> <>>
> <>> --
> <>> Hugh
> <>>
> <>
> <
> <
> <

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Colin,
Are you using the 32-bit or the 64-bit browser or both?
Do you have the case number?
That may not be an ActiveX issue, that may be an IE issue with the page or
with the versions supplied to the page.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:07:37 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their
<> own
<> <ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
<> <dialog.
<> <
<> <
<> <"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> <> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and
<> content
<> <> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not
<> until
<> <> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you
see
<> <> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular
<> version
<> <> of the browser. Just my opinion.
<> <> --
<> <> Andre
<> <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
<> <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
<> <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
<> <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
<> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
<> <> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> <> news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
<> <>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
<> <>>
<> <>> --
<> <>> Hugh
<> <>>
<> <>
<> <
<> <
<> <
<>
<
<
<

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I am not having any issues here with it, I would expect the issue you are
encountering is probably associated with IE 64-Bit most likely.

You'll find you need the 32-bit IE, I'm afraid, until such time as web sites
are updated to properly support 64-bit IE. Right now, you'd have problems
with just the 64-bit.

Active X Controls

When on-line, I get prompted to install Active X several times (depending on
the site). I click and select install now and 1 of 2 things happens. It
either asks for the run now or save, or it does nothing.

Again, the problem is most folks haven't yet re-written their activex
controls for 64-bit. That's why the default is to use the 32-bit version of
IE, which doesn't have a problem.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
>
> --
> Hugh

Colin Nowell

This was with the 32bit browser since that is the default (and since the
64bit version only comes up when clicking a link inside a 64bit application
such as OE or when specifically using the 64bit IE shortcut).

The case number is 1-729994477

Here are some extracts from my reply to them...

-------------------------->8--------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dan,

Thanks (at last) for the reply.

First of all, this problem seems to be specific ONLY to the Windows Genuine
Advantage Site since I have already managed to go through the verification
process (using the 32-bit version of IE) on the WindowsUpdate and the
MicrosoftUpdate versions of each site and my OS and machine were accepted
perfectly and both passed the verification in the normal way on these sites.
(I prefer to use the MS one as this updates my Office 2003 suite aswell, all
in one foul swoop!) One thing I notice from this though, is that NEITHER
required the ActiveX control to be installed in my browser because I was
taken through the checking process using an alternative method; the detail
of which I can't remember to be honest. Bottom line is that the Active X is
NOT installed in my browser in the way that it is on my other desktop XP (32
bit) machines (I just re-checked).

When I try going on to the Windows Genuine Advantage Site, It lets me go
through fine to the list of offers (but I note that it NEVER remembers my
country!) but as soon as I click on anything to try and download (say the
Antispyware product), this is the frame I get back..

(haven't pasted the whole web page but it starts with this...)
Validation Not Completed: Unsupported OS
[0x80080200]

..every time.

Funnily enough, one time it did let me download the MS AntiSpyware product
because I have it running on this very x64 machine now but again, I can't
remember how it happened and worked. What I do remember was then trying to
go to this link straight after I completed that download..

<link>Get Microsoft® Office Outlook® Live for 28% off!<link>

..and the result was the screen you see above.

Now it seems to lock me out whatever I do and doesn't even try and
re-validate my installation. It's most annoying!!! I have NEVER used
non-genuine MS software!!
------------------------------------------------>8--------------------------------------

Colin

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Colin,
> Are you using the 32-bit or the 64-bit browser or both?
> Do you have the case number?
> That may not be an ActiveX issue, that may be an IE issue with the page or
> with the versions supplied to the page.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

John Barnes

Colin,
I had no problem with the download or confirmation of my x64 system. Do you
have the Genuine Advantage in your WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
I had problems with the AntiSpyware program and had to uninstall it. Maybe
it is interfering with your access. Also possible you have another program
such as a firewall or anti-virus that is the problem.

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This was with the 32bit browser since that is the default (and since the
> 64bit version only comes up when clicking a link inside a 64bit
> application such as OE or when specifically using the 64bit IE shortcut).
>
> The case number is 1-729994477
>
> Here are some extracts from my reply to them...
>
> -------------------------->8--------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks (at last) for the reply.
>
> First of all, this problem seems to be specific ONLY to the Windows
> Genuine Advantage Site since I have already managed to go through the
> verification process (using the 32-bit version of IE) on the WindowsUpdate
> and the MicrosoftUpdate versions of each site and my OS and machine were
> accepted perfectly and both passed the verification in the normal way on
> these sites. (I prefer to use the MS one as this updates my Office 2003
> suite aswell, all in one foul swoop!) One thing I notice from this though,
> is that NEITHER required the ActiveX control to be installed in my browser
> because I was taken through the checking process using an alternative
> method; the detail of which I can't remember to be honest. Bottom line is
> that the Active X is NOT installed in my browser in the way that it is on
> my other desktop XP (32 bit) machines (I just re-checked).
>
> When I try going on to the Windows Genuine Advantage Site, It lets me go
> through fine to the list of offers (but I note that it NEVER remembers my
> country!) but as soon as I click on anything to try and download (say the
> Antispyware product), this is the frame I get back..
>
> (haven't pasted the whole web page but it starts with this...)
> Validation Not Completed: Unsupported OS
> [0x80080200]
>
> .every time.
>
> Funnily enough, one time it did let me download the MS AntiSpyware product
> because I have it running on this very x64 machine now but again, I can't
> remember how it happened and worked. What I do remember was then trying to
> go to this link straight after I completed that download..
>
> <link>Get Microsoft® Office Outlook® Live for 28% off!<link>
>
> .and the result was the screen you see above.
>
> Now it seems to lock me out whatever I do and doesn't even try and
> re-validate my installation. It's most annoying!!! I have NEVER used
> non-genuine MS software!!
> ------------------------------------------------>8--------------------------------------
>
> Colin
>
> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Colin,
>> Are you using the 32-bit or the 64-bit browser or both?
>> Do you have the case number?
>> That may not be an ActiveX issue, that may be an IE issue with the page
>> or
>> with the versions supplied to the page.
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Colin Nowell

Please re-read my post John and also note that I didn't "download my x64
system", it's an OEM bought boxed version.

I had no problems at all in:
a) authenticating my system after first install
b) activating and registering
c) authenticating and enabling both the windowsupdate and subsequently
microsoftupdate sites

This is a problem exclusive to the "Special Offers" on the "Microsoft
Genuine Advantage" site.

Incidentally, the validator dll does NOT sit in the WINDOWS\Downloaded
Program Files folder anymore. It actually sits in the C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
and is called LegitCheckControl.DLL and in my case, it is there.

Also, if you select (in IE 32bit) Tools and then "Manage Add-ons" and then
select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer", it is shown quite
clearly as an enabled activeX control and as "Windows Genuine Advantage
Validation Tool".

The problem seems to be that it doesn't "trigger" correctly when required
(as it should be on the MSGA site)

Colin

news:OH7Ex%(E-Mail Removed)...