Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > HP Print Drivers

HP Print Drivers

Craig Farrell

I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have print
driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit has no
driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web site doesn't
have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will go back and release
64 bit drivers for all printers or just focus on new printers?

Craig

M. Murcek

Probably the latter. For laser printers, you can always drop back to an
older LJ driver and get at least some functionality. I got rid of an
ancient a balky Epson Stylus Color 3000 large format printer and replaced it
with an HP DJ9650. I have to use an x86 XP machine on my network to print
11x17 on it, because there is no x64 Edition driver for it. It's been
supplanted by the DJ9800 series now. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll
release an x64 Edition driver for that which might work. I'm not holding my
breath.

It's been said here many times before, and it's the truth: Make sure your
stuff works with x64 Edition BEFORE you take the plunge.

"Craig Farrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have print
>driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit has no
>driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web site doesn't
>have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will go back and
>release 64 bit drivers for all printers or just focus on new printers?
>
> Craig

Charlie Russel - MVP

I see "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL", "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL6"
(colour), and "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS". Any one of those should work
just fine. The PCL6 is colour, and PostScript is whatever it needs to be.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Craig Farrell wrote:
> I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have
> print driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit
> has no driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web site
> doesn't have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will go back
> and release 64 bit drivers for all printers or just focus on new printers?
>
> Craig

PJB

I have just installed WinXP Pro 64 OEM on a Tyan dual processor board an
when I added my HP 5 printer it had the driver on the CD. I also found Epson
had my R1800 and R2400 printer and EP4990 scanner driver.
But my Canon 20D camera is a different story. But with 4 other XP and OS X
machines I'm not too worried about the camera.

My biggest problem is the SBS2000 server which doesn't have any 64 bit
firewall client available from MS yet. Hopefully they might do that.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL", "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL6"
>(colour), and "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS". Any one of those should work
>just fine. The PCL6 is colour, and PostScript is whatever it needs to be.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Craig Farrell wrote:
>> I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have
>> print driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit
>> has no driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web site
>> doesn't have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will go back
>> and release 64 bit drivers for all printers or just focus on new
>> printers?
>>
>> Craig

=?Utf-8?B?V2FycmVuUg==?=

Craig,

I have a driver issue too which I have been working with the HP tech support
people on. As of yesterday, they sent me an email saying lots of x64 drivers
for older printers are in the development stage and will be available for
download soon. This will at least include support for a printer that I am
looking to use, the HP Photosmart P1000. While I am not holding my breath
waiting for it, my fingers are crossed in hopes to have it before the printer
dies of old age

Warren

"Craig Farrell" wrote:

> I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have print
> driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit has no
> driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web site doesn't
> have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will go back and release
> 64 bit drivers for all printers or just focus on new printers?
>
> Craig

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, we're all waiting for a firewall client from MS. I know it's being
worked on, but I haven't seen a release date yet. Sigh.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

PJB wrote:
> I have just installed WinXP Pro 64 OEM on a Tyan dual processor board an
> when I added my HP 5 printer it had the driver on the CD. I also found
> Epson had my R1800 and R2400 printer and EP4990 scanner driver.
> But my Canon 20D camera is a different story. But with 4 other XP and OS X
> machines I'm not too worried about the camera.
>
> My biggest problem is the SBS2000 server which doesn't have any 64 bit
> firewall client available from MS yet. Hopefully they might do that.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I see "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL", "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL6"
>> (colour), and "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS". Any one of those should work
>> just fine. The PCL6 is colour, and PostScript is whatever it needs to be.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Craig Farrell wrote:
>>> I have worked around most of my 64 bit software issues but still have
>>> print driver issues. We have a few HP printers on campus that XP 64 bit
>>> has no driver for. For example a color LaserJet 5500dn. The HP Web
>>> site doesn't have a 64 bit driver as well. Wonder if HP in time will
>>> printers?
>>>
>>> Craig

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFNtaXRo?=