Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > win64 or WIn XP Pro : Am I creating a headache for myself

win64 or WIn XP Pro : Am I creating a headache for myself

miso@sushi.com

I purchased a copy of winXp Pro on a not so well known auction site for
an AMD64 PC I just built. However, it turned out that the OS would not
authenticate with microsquish on the net. I was lucky to get my money
back.

Now here is my dilema. Since I need to purchase another OS, should I go
for Win64? The PC is a dual core AMD 64 4.4Ghz with 4G of RAM (the
limit of the mobo). My mobo and video card have 64 bit drivers.
However, my printers, which sit on an Axis print server, will probably
never have 64 bit drivers since they are old. But is a print driver
really a driver per se, or is it just 32 bit software that in theory
should run on win64. [I consider drivers to be software very tightly
integrated with the hardware, such as a raid controller, video card,
etc.]

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

What are you planning to do with your PC will answer the question if Windows
XP Pro x64 is for. As for software, 32 bit applications will work just fine
and install just fine if they use a 32 bit installer. If your hard disk is
setup in a RAID configuration, you will need to download the appropriate F6
Drivers so it can be recognized by Windows XP Pro x64. If the print driver
is something you can't live without, I wouldn't bother with x64 unless you
can get a native 64 bit driver for it.

Why not give trial a run and see how it suits you? Its a free download:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I purchased a copy of winXp Pro on a not so well known auction site for
> an AMD64 PC I just built. However, it turned out that the OS would not
> authenticate with microsquish on the net. I was lucky to get my money
> back.
>
> Now here is my dilema. Since I need to purchase another OS, should I go
> for Win64? The PC is a dual core AMD 64 4.4Ghz with 4G of RAM (the
> limit of the mobo). My mobo and video card have 64 bit drivers.
> However, my printers, which sit on an Axis print server, will probably
> never have 64 bit drivers since they are old. But is a print driver
> really a driver per se, or is it just 32 bit software that in theory
> should run on win64. [I consider drivers to be software very tightly
> integrated with the hardware, such as a raid controller, video card,
> etc.]

miso@sushi.com

The trial run isn't a bad idea, but how well does it uninstall?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Just format the drive when you are finished with my booting off either an
x86 copy of Windows XP or Windows XP Pro x64 CD and you will have the option
during setup to format the drive. If you do end up using XP Pro x64 full
time during the trial, make sure to back up your data before it expires or
when you plan on formatting.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The trial run isn't a bad idea, but how well does it uninstall?

miso@sushi.com

I try to keep my PC legit. What I'll do is set up a dual boot, assuming
this is possible with raid.

I would hope you could install the legit win64 over the demo copy.
Microsquish can't be that dumb. Then again.....

honjo

It is very simple to uninstall it.

Kaz

> The trial run isn't a bad idea, but how well does it uninstall?

Ted

>As for software, 32 bit applications will work just fine

When you say fine, you mean in a limping mode.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are you planning to do with your PC will answer the question if
> Windows XP Pro x64 is for. As for software, 32 bit applications will work
> just fine and install just fine if they use a 32 bit installer. If your
> hard disk is setup in a RAID configuration, you will need to download the
> appropriate F6 Drivers so it can be recognized by Windows XP Pro x64. If
> the print driver is something you can't live without, I wouldn't bother
> with x64 unless you can get a native 64 bit driver for it.
>
> Why not give trial a run and see how it suits you? Its a free download:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I purchased a copy of winXp Pro on a not so well known auction site for
>> an AMD64 PC I just built. However, it turned out that the OS would not
>> authenticate with microsquish on the net. I was lucky to get my money
>> back.
>>
>> Now here is my dilema. Since I need to purchase another OS, should I go
>> for Win64? The PC is a dual core AMD 64 4.4Ghz with 4G of RAM (the
>> limit of the mobo). My mobo and video card have 64 bit drivers.
>> However, my printers, which sit on an Axis print server, will probably
>> never have 64 bit drivers since they are old. But is a print driver
>> really a driver per se, or is it just 32 bit software that in theory
>> should run on win64. [I consider drivers to be software very tightly
>> integrated with the hardware, such as a raid controller, video card,
>> etc.]

Andre Da Costa

Not unless its a MSDN or Volume license version of x64 you will get the
option of upgrading the OEM version.

Win64 Pro - OS2Warp Kue2 Windows 64bit 8 06-02-2006 07:40 PM
win media player win64 =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bA==?= Windows 64bit 2 01-05-2006 02:24 AM
acrobat pro unable to install printer: win64 =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bA==?= Windows 64bit 4 11-24-2005 08:41 PM
Win 2k Pro can't see Win XP Home =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEM=?= Wireless Networking 1 03-15-2005 09:20 PM

Advertisments