Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Java

=?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

Any know if there is java for 64 bit windows xp??

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...actionId=noreg
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"marlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any know if there is java for 64 bit windows xp??

Rick

But it still does not have browser support:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-windows-64.html

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...actionId=noreg

-Dan-

Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version installed first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64 version. It has the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.

I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to be fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version 1.4.???. Then I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser... both versions. I then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser still works. I have just now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now have two folders of Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in Programs(x86)... and the browser stuff still works. )

--
-Dan-

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But it still does not have browser support:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-windows-64.html
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...actionId=noreg

Colin Nowell

So, can we just run over that again....

What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs the
plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?

Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then= the
AMD x64 version?

(for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)

Colin

"-Dan-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version installed
first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64 version. It has
the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.

I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to be
fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version 1.4.???. Then
I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser... both versions. I
then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser still works. I have just
now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now have two folders of
Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in Programs(x86)... and the
browser stuff still works. )

-Dan-

It worked in both browsers with only the 32 bit jre installed. Don't ask why...

--
-Dan-

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, can we just run over that again....
>
> What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs the
> plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?
>
> Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then= the
> AMD x64 version?
>
> (for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)
>
> Colin
>
> "-Dan-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version installed
> first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64 version. It has
> the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.
>
> I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to be
> fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version 1.4.???. Then
> I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser... both versions. I
> then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser still works. I have just
> now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now have two folders of
> Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in Programs(x86)... and the
> browser stuff still works. )

Rick

My guess is that Colin is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!

I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
site.

I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.

Colin Nowell wrote:
> So, can we just run over that again....
>
> What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs the
> plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?
>
> Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then= the
> AMD x64 version?
>
> (for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)
>
> Colin
>
> "-Dan-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version installed
> first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64 version. It has
> the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.
>
> I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to be
> fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version 1.4.???. Then
> I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser... both versions. I
> then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser still works. I have just
> now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now have two folders of
> Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in Programs(x86)... and the
> browser stuff still works. )

Rick

Boy, I blew it again! Colin is NOT guilty, Dan is - Dan apparently is
not aware of exactly he is doing! The rest is as I stated below - there
is NO 64 bit browser support as per Sun!

Rick wrote:
> My guess is that Colin is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!
>
> I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
> there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
> site.
>
> I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.
>

> Colin Nowell wrote:
>
>> So, can we just run over that again....
>>
>> What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs
>> the plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?
>>
>> Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then=
>> the AMD x64 version?
>>
>> (for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> "-Dan-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version
>> installed first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64
>> version. It has the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.
>>
>> I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to
>> be fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version
>> 1.4.???. Then I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser...
>> both versions. I then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser
>> still works. I have just now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now
>> have two folders of Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in
>> Programs(x86)... and the browser stuff still works. )

-Dan-

Rick, looks like you blew it again. ) I AM very well aware of JRE working in both 32 and 64 bit IE. Don't ask me why it's working in both, cuz I doan know. Lack of support by Sun doesn't mean it WON'T work, cause it does, and is functional in both browsers.

--
-Dan-

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boy, I blew it again! Colin is NOT guilty, Dan is - Dan apparently is
> not aware of exactly he is doing! The rest is as I stated below - there
> is NO 64 bit browser support as per Sun!
>

> Rick wrote:
>> My guess is that Colin is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!
>>
>> I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
>> there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
>> site.
>>
>> I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.
>>

>> Colin Nowell wrote:
>>
>>> So, can we just run over that again....
>>>
>>> What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs
>>> the plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?
>>>
>>> Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then=
>>> the AMD x64 version?
>>>
>>> (for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> "-Dan-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version
>>> installed first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64
>>> version. It has the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.
>>>
>>> I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to
>>> be fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version
>>> 1.4.???. Then I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser...
>>> both versions. I then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser
>>> still works. I have just now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now
>>> have two folders of Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in
>>> Programs(x86)... and the browser stuff still works. )

Rick

The question is why are you the only one in the world reporting that
Java is working in I.E. 64?

I would tend to think that Sun just might know exactly the features they
have put in the 64-bit Java, and tend to believe them when they state:

Browser Footnotes
Browsers listed above are supported for JavaTM Plug-in software and
JavaTM Web Start software.
Further details:
- 64-bit support for Java Plug-in software is currently not available
- For 64-bit versions of Solaris OS, Linux and Windows support is for
32-bit browsers only - Support for Netscape 4.7.x on Solaris 8 on SPARC
and x86
- Internet Explorer 5.5 (SP2+), 6.x on Windows platforms
- Netscape 7 and 7.1 are not offically supported, but should work

This can be found at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/syste...gurations.html

So, until you can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that what you claim
is true, I stand by my statement that:

My guess is that Dan is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!

I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
site.

I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.

Rick...