Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win XP X64 Loadin on ABIT AL8

Win XP X64 Loadin on ABIT AL8

=?Utf-8?B?ZWFuZGVyc29uNTQz?=

Looks like I am in for many hours of "entertainment" with this new OS. I had
occasion to build up a couple new custom boxes for a client so I ordered an
Intel Pentium D 830 Smithfield dual core processor and a copy of XP 64 SP1 to
play with. This is installed on an ABIT AL8 board with version 14 BIOS
(latest release) with a Hitachi SATAII drive. PSU is Enermax EG425P-VE-SFMA
2.0. Have not had but one sucessful load so far... normally crashes with
BSOD a few minutes into the process. Now I have tried two different AL8
boards with different memory and video cards in each with the same result
each time.... Memory is DDR667 from Wintec and OCZ. Video cards are RADEON
X300 and X600 based PCIE 16.

These systems loaded up XP Pro 32 bit without a hitch with a Pentium 4 530J
processor. With the Pentium D process, XP Pro (32 bit) gets well into the
load when the screen goes blank, but the HD light is still going like mad for
quite a while. Win 2K has simillar issues... did get Win 98 to load, but it
does not support the hardware... but then it is only one minor step up from
DOS anyway.

The one sucessfull load I did get was with the original release version 11
of the BIOS and the XP600 video card and OCZ memory. Only problem was that
none of the hardware was being recongized by plug and play so all default
drivers were loaded.... I did manaully load the broadcom network driver from
the windows menu and it worked (even though windows complained bitterly about
it!).

So that has been my experience so far along the road to perdition... any
comments are welcome.... I will post any breakthroughs here for those that
follow.

I have ordered an INTEL motherboard (945PVSLK) that is certified by Intel
for this processor just for giggles and grins to see how things behave with
it.

--
Ernie
System Builder