Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Modding a character LCD?

Modding a character LCD?

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

I recently bought a 16x4 Backlit Character LCD off eBay for $15AU and plan to mod it to my computer via the parallel port. I'm curious if anyone else here has attempted this mod and has any tips or pointers for me. Cheers.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

did it previously come from DSE?
u can pruchase them for 24 bucks at DSE...
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/Z4172
and as for wiring with Paralell
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...onnection.html

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

Thanks dude and don't worry, I have searched a lot of guides that tell me the basics but I was wandering if there are any hidden surprises instore for me.
And no it didn't come from DSE originally. It's a 16x4 and DSE sell 16x2 and they cost a fortune for what they are I do know that it runs off the HD44780 controller so it will be compatible atleast.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

...how this mod proceeds. I have a Matrix Orbital 4-line LCD with the USB interface in my printer-to-computer mod. I haven't done much with the software that controls it (LCDC, look here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1560&page=2 , other than modify a few display items. I know it could do a lot more, but I don't have time to mess with it when there's a new motorcycle telling me to ride it every weekend....

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

I dont like LCDC, LCD Smartie is better.
its from sourceforge
http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

bigal, link doesn't work.
And does either of those programs allow you to make your own custom characters??? ie pixel for pixel within the square of a normal character?

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
bigal, link doesn't work.
i fixed it.

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

Thankyou

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
bigal, link doesn't work.
i fixed it.
It worked for me. I wonder what was wrong? I never make mistakes, you know...
You can edit lots of stuff. I did some work with it, then set it aside for more exciting hardware projects. You should do some searching on it using the Internet to see what other's think about the software. There is a Matrix Orbital forums site too. I think I registered there last year. It might be in Canada. Don't leave our forums though. This is the best place to hang out.

RObErT_RaTh RObErT_RaTh is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia Mate!

LCDC costs money so I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon. I'm after a free program that will do the trick cos I'm cheap
And don't worry, I won't be leaving the forums in a hurry