Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 64bit XP edition

Windows 64bit XP edition

Dirk Butz

Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
Ideas ? I-adresses ?
Thanks for all hints .....
Greetings
Dirk

NoNoBadDog!

"Dirk Butz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nyXOe.4579$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
> Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
> limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
> Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
> Ideas ? I-adresses ?
> Thanks for all hints .....
> Greetings
> Dirk

You need a better source of Information.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has been released, and is an OEM only
purchase.
It is purchased with a qualifying piece of hardware from and authorized
vendor.
Support for OEM versions of Windows is provided by the vendor you buy it
from, not Microsoft.

Before you decide to purchase Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, make sure
that you have a
64 bit processor. If you are not sure, you most likely do not have a 64 bit
processor.

You must also make sure that 64 bit drivers are available for all the
hardware and peripherals you have. Most hardware and peripherals cannot use
32 bit drivers under Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. You must check
the manufacturers website for x64 compatible drivers, and have them
available *prior* to installing x64. This includes devices *inside* your
computer like your video card, your audio card, NIC/LAN, etc.

You may purchase Windows XP Professional at most sites/locations that sell
computer parts/hardware/peripherals. You might first visit NewEgg. Do
*NOT* risk buying it from eBay.

Bobby

John Barnes

I suggest you do a lot of research on this site BEFORE you buy or install
x64. Read, read and read.

"Dirk Butz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nyXOe.4579$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
> Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
> limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
> Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
> Ideas ? I-adresses ?
> Thanks for all hints .....
> Greetings
> Dirk

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Windows XP Professional x64 is distributed only as a OEM License, which
means you have to purchase it with qualifying hardware. There is no retail
full/upgrade edition of XP Pro x64.

You can purchase it here:
http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Dirk Butz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nyXOe.4579$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
> Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
> limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
> Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
> Ideas ? I-adresses ?
> Thanks for all hints .....
> Greetings
> Dirk

John Barnes

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050823/index.html

"Dirk Butz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nyXOe.4579$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
> Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
> limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
> Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
> Ideas ? I-adresses ?
> Thanks for all hints .....
> Greetings
> Dirk

Charlie Russel - MVP

LISTEN TO JOHN. He's right. READ. All of us are running x64 Edition. But
it's not for those who expect to have someone take care of everything for
them, and who aren't able to research and understand what works and what
doesn't. Yet. It's only available as an OEM/System Builder version, for the
very good reason that hardware support from the peripheral manufacturers is
still somewhat limited. You need to read and understand what is working, and
what isn't. And then understand what that means for your personal computing
environment.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dirk Butz wrote:
> Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
> Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
> limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
> Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
> Ideas ? I-adresses ?
> Thanks for all hints .....
> Greetings
> Dirk

Jud Hendrix

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:40:01 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Or listen to Microsoft:

Q.Why is there no Home x64 Edition of Windows XP? Who should buy Windows XP
Professional X64 Edition?

A.These are closely related questions. The initial target audience for
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is anyone who is running into
performance and memory limits on their 32-bit systems, for example,
developers, media artists, CAD/CAM, scientific workstations and enthusiasts
who are running the most demanding applications, and who require the
capabilities of the Professional Edition of Windows XP. Windows XP Home
Edition is targeted at the home user and has fewer features. At this point,
especially with the current limited driver support, Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition is not targeted at the casual home user.

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:11:36 +0200, Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Or listen to Microsoft:

Or in this case Charlie himself actually

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

<ROFLU> -- MS? I wrote that FAQ!

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:40:01 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Or listen to Microsoft:
>
> Q.Why is there no Home x64 Edition of Windows XP? Who should buy Windows
> XP Professional X64 Edition?
>
> A.These are closely related questions. The initial target audience for
> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is anyone who is running into
> performance and memory limits on their 32-bit systems, for example,
> developers, media artists, CAD/CAM, scientific workstations and
> enthusiasts who are running the most demanding applications, and who
> require the capabilities of the Professional Edition of Windows XP.
> Windows XP Home Edition is targeted at the home user and has fewer
> features. At this point, especially with the current limited driver
> support, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is not targeted at the
> casual home user.

Jud Hendrix

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:41:34 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><ROFLU> -- MS? I wrote that FAQ!

That's what I said 5 seconds later

Good FAQ by the way. For me it was clear enough to make my choice.

jud