Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problems with installing X64 on K8NXP-SLI

Problems with installing X64 on K8NXP-SLI

=?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=

Hi!
I have a strange problem when installing X64. I will just describe you the
steps I made for installing the system:

Booted with the installation-CD, then added the drivers for my SATA-RAID
(RAID1 on NForce4-chipset). I used the newest drivers from the
Nvidia-website. Now I deleted the whole HDD and created one 50GB partition
with NTFS (slow format). Now the installation works normally and the XP comes
up the first time. Everything works fine. But when I restart the system now
an error occurs while starting XP again:
Cannot find file \Windows\System32\Config\*** (e.g. SYSTEM)
I tried to reinstall XP some times and every time another file occured in
the error-message. I also tired to install the 64bit-drivers for my RAID
while the one (and only) startup of XP but with no success. Strting with
WinPE shows that all files are definitely in this directory so I don't
understand it. Does anyone have an idea what goes wrong here?

Oh, my system in short:
Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI
2 SATA Samsung-HDDs on nForce4-chipset (RAID1)
BIOS F8 (also tried F9)

Thanks for every help,
Kucht

Terry

When I had a problem such as this, it was not finding NTOSKRNL.EXE -- I
pulled out one of my RAM boards and the problem went away. I swapped the
two, and got the problem. I concluded that one of my RAM boards (2 512MB
DIMMs) was bad, and exchanged both with a new package from the store --
problem solved.

Since then, I have not fooled around with overclocking, or reducing CAS
latency, etc. I would expect a similar problem from doing these kinds of
things as what was happening with bad RAM, so I would suggest setting the
BIOS to default, fail-safe, etc.

"Kucht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
> I have a strange problem when installing X64. I will just describe you the
> steps I made for installing the system:
>
> Booted with the installation-CD, then added the drivers for my SATA-RAID
> (RAID1 on NForce4-chipset). I used the newest drivers from the
> Nvidia-website. Now I deleted the whole HDD and created one 50GB partition
> with NTFS (slow format). Now the installation works normally and the XP

comes
> up the first time. Everything works fine. But when I restart the system

now
> an error occurs while starting XP again:
> Cannot find file \Windows\System32\Config\*** (e.g. SYSTEM)
> I tried to reinstall XP some times and every time another file occured in
> the error-message. I also tired to install the 64bit-drivers for my RAID
> while the one (and only) startup of XP but with no success. Strting with
> WinPE shows that all files are definitely in this directory so I don't
> understand it. Does anyone have an idea what goes wrong here?
>
> Oh, my system in short:
> Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI
> 2 SATA Samsung-HDDs on nForce4-chipset (RAID1)
> BIOS F8 (also tried F9)
>
> Thanks for every help,
> Kucht

=?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=

Hmm, I think this is not my problem because a 32bit Windows XP Professional
runs without problems (since ~4 month). Anything like overclocking is not
set, the board runs with the default settings.

"Terry" wrote:

> When I had a problem such as this, it was not finding NTOSKRNL.EXE -- I
> pulled out one of my RAM boards and the problem went away. I swapped the
> two, and got the problem. I concluded that one of my RAM boards (2 512MB
> DIMMs) was bad, and exchanged both with a new package from the store --
> problem solved.
>
> Since then, I have not fooled around with overclocking, or reducing CAS
> latency, etc. I would expect a similar problem from doing these kinds of
> things as what was happening with bad RAM, so I would suggest setting the
> BIOS to default, fail-safe, etc.
>

> "Kucht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> > I have a strange problem when installing X64. I will just describe you the
> > steps I made for installing the system:
> >
> > Booted with the installation-CD, then added the drivers for my SATA-RAID
> > (RAID1 on NForce4-chipset). I used the newest drivers from the
> > Nvidia-website. Now I deleted the whole HDD and created one 50GB partition
> > with NTFS (slow format). Now the installation works normally and the XP

> comes
> > up the first time. Everything works fine. But when I restart the system

> now
> > an error occurs while starting XP again:
> > Cannot find file \Windows\System32\Config\*** (e.g. SYSTEM)
> > I tried to reinstall XP some times and every time another file occured in
> > the error-message. I also tired to install the 64bit-drivers for my RAID
> > while the one (and only) startup of XP but with no success. Strting with
> > WinPE shows that all files are definitely in this directory so I don't
> > understand it. Does anyone have an idea what goes wrong here?
> >
> > Oh, my system in short:
> > Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI
> > 2 SATA Samsung-HDDs on nForce4-chipset (RAID1)
> > BIOS F8 (also tried F9)
> >
> > Thanks for every help,
> > Kucht

Charlie Russel - MVP

x64 Edition does seem to point out problems with RAM that 32-bit doesn't. It
may not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to run a good, thorough, ram test
utility.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Kucht wrote:
> Hmm, I think this is not my problem because a 32bit Windows XP
> Professional runs without problems (since ~4 month). Anything like
> overclocking is not set, the board runs with the default settings.
>
> "Terry" wrote:
>
>> When I had a problem such as this, it was not finding NTOSKRNL.EXE -- I
>> pulled out one of my RAM boards and the problem went away. I swapped the
>> two, and got the problem. I concluded that one of my RAM boards (2 512MB
>> DIMMs) was bad, and exchanged both with a new package from the store --
>> problem solved.
>>
>> Since then, I have not fooled around with overclocking, or reducing CAS
>> latency, etc. I would expect a similar problem from doing these kinds of
>> things as what was happening with bad RAM, so I would suggest setting the
>> BIOS to default, fail-safe, etc.
>>

>> "Kucht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi!
>>> I have a strange problem when installing X64. I will just describe you
>>> the steps I made for installing the system:
>>>
>>> Booted with the installation-CD, then added the drivers for my SATA-RAID
>>> (RAID1 on NForce4-chipset). I used the newest drivers from the
>>> Nvidia-website. Now I deleted the whole HDD and created one 50GB
>>> partition with NTFS (slow format). Now the installation works normally
>>> and the XP comes up the first time. Everything works fine. But when I
>>> restart the system now an error occurs while starting XP again:
>>> Cannot find file \Windows\System32\Config\*** (e.g. SYSTEM)
>>> I tried to reinstall XP some times and every time another file occured
>>> in the error-message. I also tired to install the 64bit-drivers for my
>>> RAID while the one (and only) startup of XP but with no success.
>>> Strting with WinPE shows that all files are definitely in this
>>> directory so I don't understand it. Does anyone have an idea what goes
>>> wrong here?
>>>
>>> Oh, my system in short:
>>> Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI
>>> 2 SATA Samsung-HDDs on nForce4-chipset (RAID1)
>>> BIOS F8 (also tried F9)
>>>
>>> Thanks for every help,
>>> Kucht

=?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=

Hi!
I just tested my hardware (including RAM) with BurnInTest Pro 4.0. The tests
passed without errors.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> x64 Edition does seem to point out problems with RAM that 32-bit doesn't. It
> may not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to run a good, thorough, ram test
> utility.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Kucht wrote:
> > Hmm, I think this is not my problem because a 32bit Windows XP
> > Professional runs without problems (since ~4 month). Anything like
> > overclocking is not set, the board runs with the default settings.
> >
> > "Terry" wrote:
> >
> >> When I had a problem such as this, it was not finding NTOSKRNL.EXE -- I
> >> pulled out one of my RAM boards and the problem went away. I swapped the
> >> two, and got the problem. I concluded that one of my RAM boards (2 512MB
> >> DIMMs) was bad, and exchanged both with a new package from the store --
> >> problem solved.
> >>
> >> Since then, I have not fooled around with overclocking, or reducing CAS
> >> latency, etc. I would expect a similar problem from doing these kinds of
> >> things as what was happening with bad RAM, so I would suggest setting the
> >> BIOS to default, fail-safe, etc.
> >>

> >> "Kucht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I'd be having a discussion with Gigabyte about now. I think you've
done all the reasonable things, and it sounds like a problem on their end
somewhere. Probably something with the storage driver, but that's purely a
SWAG.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Kucht wrote:
> Hi!
> I just tested my hardware (including RAM) with BurnInTest Pro 4.0. The
> tests passed without errors.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> x64 Edition does seem to point out problems with RAM that 32-bit
>> doesn't. It may not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to run a good,
>> thorough, ram test utility.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Kucht wrote:
>>> Hmm, I think this is not my problem because a 32bit Windows XP
>>> Professional runs without problems (since ~4 month). Anything like
>>> overclocking is not set, the board runs with the default settings.

=?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=

Okay, will get Gigabyte on the nerves!

Thanks for your help!!!