Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Request for a downgrade from x64 OEM license to 32-bit OEM license

John Barnes

I do have to disagree with you on at least one point. "Upgrade" versions of
Microsoft products have the ability to install another version, regardless
of whether it is OEM or Retail. I have on many occasions used the upgrade
version of Windows products to go from 98 to 98SE to ME to XP, etc. I have
upgraded from Retail versions as well as OEM versions installed on a
machine. The upgrade is always an 'upgrade retail' version.
I would personally argue that going from XP 64 to 32 is a worst a parallel
move and going from the OEM to Retail XP Pro would be a legitimate upgrade
and should not require the purchase of a 'full' version.
I do agree that this is a very good reason they don't offer a retail
version, but there is no reason to punish a customer either.

news:OEUD3$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, the upgrade version will not "upgrade" x64, and it won't see it. Also,
> given that he is on an OEM/System builder license, there is explicitly no
> upgrade path except through his OEM/System Builder.
>
> There is a very good reason that MS doesn't have a retail version of XP
> x64 Edition, and this thread is exactly why.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> If you go the ebay route make sure you are dealing with a licensed
>> dealer,
>> otherwise, caveat emptor
>>
>> Also, does anyone know if he can buy an upgrade version or will the
>> upgrade version ignore the installed windows x64 version when installing?
>> It seems only fair that if he has a legal recently purchased version of
>> Windows, he should be able to buy an upgrade version. But this is
>> Microsoft!!!
>>

>> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It sounds a good news to me. However I cannot find the x86 license
>>> available
>>> from Microsoft's web site. Could you provide the SKU code of the x86
>>> license
>>> so that I may order it for my friend.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You may be right, I haven't looked recently to see what an acceptible
predecessor is. If OEM Home, for example, is considered an acceptible
predecessor to Retail Pro, then I would say your on legitimate grounds for
an "upgrade" to 32-bit XP Pro.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes wrote:
> I do have to disagree with you on at least one point. "Upgrade" versions
> of Microsoft products have the ability to install another version,
> regardless of whether it is OEM or Retail. I have on many occasions used
> the upgrade version of Windows products to go from 98 to 98SE to ME to
> XP, etc. I have upgraded from Retail versions as well as OEM versions
> installed on a machine. The upgrade is always an 'upgrade retail'
> version. I would personally argue that going from XP 64 to 32 is a worst a
> parallel
> move and going from the OEM to Retail XP Pro would be a legitimate upgrade
> and should not require the purchase of a 'full' version.
> I do agree that this is a very good reason they don't offer a retail
> version, but there is no reason to punish a customer either.

> news:OEUD3$$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, the upgrade version will not "upgrade" x64, and it won't see it.
>> Also, given that he is on an OEM/System builder license, there is
>> explicitly no upgrade path except through his OEM/System Builder.
>>
>> There is a very good reason that MS doesn't have a retail version of XP
>> x64 Edition, and this thread is exactly why.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> If you go the ebay route make sure you are dealing with a licensed
>>> dealer,
>>> otherwise, caveat emptor
>>>
>>> Also, does anyone know if he can buy an upgrade version or will the
>>> upgrade version ignore the installed windows x64 version when
>>> installing? It seems only fair that if he has a legal recently
>>> purchased version of Windows, he should be able to buy an upgrade
>>> version. But this is Microsoft!!!
>>>

>>> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst MVP

I don't see how the XP upgrade edition would recognize either an
installation of XP Pro x64 or the x64 cd as a "qualifying product for
upgrade". He basically does not have an OS once he removes XP Pro x64
unless he has a Windows cd for an older OS that is in the upgrade matirix.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may be right, I haven't looked recently to see what an acceptible
> predecessor is. If OEM Home, for example, is considered an acceptible
> predecessor to Retail Pro, then I would say your on legitimate grounds for
> an "upgrade" to 32-bit XP Pro.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> I do have to disagree with you on at least one point. "Upgrade" versions
>> of Microsoft products have the ability to install another version,
>> regardless of whether it is OEM or Retail. I have on many occasions used
>> the upgrade version of Windows products to go from 98 to 98SE to ME to
>> XP, etc. I have upgraded from Retail versions as well as OEM versions
>> installed on a machine. The upgrade is always an 'upgrade retail'
>> version. I would personally argue that going from XP 64 to 32 is a worst
>> a parallel
>> move and going from the OEM to Retail XP Pro would be a legitimate
>> upgrade
>> and should not require the purchase of a 'full' version.
>> I do agree that this is a very good reason they don't offer a retail
>> version, but there is no reason to punish a customer either.

>> news:OEUD3$$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No, the upgrade version will not "upgrade" x64, and it won't see it.
>>> Also, given that he is on an OEM/System builder license, there is
>>> explicitly no upgrade path except through his OEM/System Builder.
>>>
>>> There is a very good reason that MS doesn't have a retail version of XP
>>> x64 Edition, and this thread is exactly why.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?=

It is because I assumed that Microsoft is a responsible company. I assumed
that Microsoft produces good quality of operating system for the market. It
is rather disappointing that Microsoft pushed the trouble-making product into
the market for its long-term business strategy.

"warpsix" wrote:

> I can't belive people would buy it with out looking at a newsgroup or
> maybe downloading the 120 day free trial just to make sure it works
>
> Jeremy Wong 黃泓量 wrote:
> > If you were the system builder, how can you ensure the compatibility and
> > provide the support? Let you know how the items were purchased. The friend
> > bought a computer together with Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition on day 1.
> > Then the friend bought the multi-function printer on day 2. The Bluetooth-USB
> > adapter was tested with the x64 windows on day 3.
> >
> > It is a fact the the OEM license is purchased from a local computer shop.
> >
> > It is understood that there is no downgrade path from x64 to 32-bit. I
> > request for a creation of the path..
> >
> > There are many printers and bluetooth adapters available in the market, few
> > of them support 64-bit windows. Supporting 64-bit windows is not the only
> > criteria in considering a product. Taking printer into consideration, I would
> > calculate the cost of ink, laser toner. I know that HP provides 64-bit
> > drivers, but the ink of HP printers is very expensive comparing with other
> > products in the market. The bluetooth adapter supports bluetooth headset, it
> > requires Windows XP. It works fine in 32-bit XP, never in 64-bit XP.
> >
> > It is intuitive to regard the x64 edition as a member of the "Microsoft
> > Windows XP" series. I do not observe the requirements of the peripherals
> > distinguishing between 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition. Who know that they
> > are incompatible in some sense?
> >
> > It is a serious problem of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition"
> > including the brand "Microsoft Windows XP", because the x64 edition is not
> > compatible with other members of the Microsoft Windows XP family.
> >
> > Don't put your customer's trouble as a mean to encourage the hardware
> > manufacturer to support 64-bit windows.
> >

> > Jeremy Wong
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >

> >>1.) Read the license. There IS NO retail product for x64. The OEM product is
> >>NOT a retail product, it is tied to the hardware. It is forever linked to
> >>the hardware it was bought with. It is the responsibility of the system
> >>builder (in this case the person who assembled it) to ensure compatibility
> >>and provide support for it.
> >>2.) There is no downgrade path. None. You may, of course, buy a 32-bit
> >>license and install it, either OEM or Retail. If it's OEM, it's tied to the
> >>computer it's bought for/with. If it's retail, it is not, you may remove it
> >>from one machine and install it on another.
> >>3.) There are perfectly good bluetooth adapters and printers that work fine
> >>with x64 Edition. I know, because I'm running both here. Again, it is the
> >>responsibility of the OEM to ensure compatibility.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Charlie.
> >>http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Bruce Chambers

Jeremy Wong 黃泓量 wrote:
> It would be good if Microsoft provides the downgrade license from XP 64 to XP
> 32.

Wouldn't it be much simpler if the consumer just did a little product
research *before* making a purchase? The he/she would have to ask
someone else to bail him/herself out from his/her own mistake.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Colin Barnhorst MVP

The operative word here is "assumed". You assumed that an OEM license
carried all the rights and priveleges of a retail license. Of course you
only assumed this because it was convenient for your situation.

"Jeremy Wong 黃泓量" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is because I assumed that Microsoft is a responsible company. I assumed
> that Microsoft produces good quality of operating system for the market.
> It
> is rather disappointing that Microsoft pushed the trouble-making product
> into
> the market for its long-term business strategy.
>
> "warpsix" wrote:
>
>> I can't belive people would buy it with out looking at a newsgroup or
>> maybe downloading the 120 day free trial just to make sure it works
>>
>> Jeremy Wong 黃泓量 wrote:
>> > If you were the system builder, how can you ensure the compatibility
>> > and
>> > provide the support? Let you know how the items were purchased. The
>> > friend
>> > bought a computer together with Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition on day
>> > 1.
>> > Then the friend bought the multi-function printer on day 2. The
>> > Bluetooth-USB
>> > adapter was tested with the x64 windows on day 3.
>> >
>> > It is a fact the the OEM license is purchased from a local computer
>> > shop.
>> >
>> > It is understood that there is no downgrade path from x64 to 32-bit. I
>> > request for a creation of the path..
>> >
>> > There are many printers and bluetooth adapters available in the market,
>> > few
>> > of them support 64-bit windows. Supporting 64-bit windows is not the
>> > only
>> > criteria in considering a product. Taking printer into consideration, I
>> > would
>> > calculate the cost of ink, laser toner. I know that HP provides 64-bit
>> > drivers, but the ink of HP printers is very expensive comparing with
>> > other
>> > products in the market. The bluetooth adapter supports bluetooth
>> > headset, it
>> > requires Windows XP. It works fine in 32-bit XP, never in 64-bit XP.
>> >
>> > It is intuitive to regard the x64 edition as a member of the "Microsoft
>> > Windows XP" series. I do not observe the requirements of the
>> > peripherals
>> > distinguishing between 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition. Who know that
>> > they
>> > are incompatible in some sense?
>> >
>> > It is a serious problem of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional
>> > Edition"
>> > including the brand "Microsoft Windows XP", because the x64 edition is
>> > not
>> > compatible with other members of the Microsoft Windows XP family.
>> >
>> > Don't put your customer's trouble as a mean to encourage the hardware
>> > manufacturer to support 64-bit windows.
>> >

>> > Jeremy Wong

Torrey Lauer

Jeremy,

Microsoft DID and HAS built an extremely good quality operating system. The
problem you are having is not with Microsoft! The problem you are having
are with the companies from which you bought the bluetooth device and the
printer. If your printer is a Canon, then it is Canon's responsiblity to
make sure their printer works with the operating system you have. It is the
company that makes the bluetooth device's responsiblity to ensure their
bluetooth product works with your operating system.

Microsoft built a fantastic x64 bit version of Windows XP. Now it's time
for the companies that make printers, scanners, mice, keyboards, bluetooth
devices, etc. to start working to make sure the products that they make and
sell to their customers work with Windows XP x64.

Now, stop blaming Microsoft, and start blaming Canon and the manufacturer of
the bluetooth device for them not working to ensure their products work on
the operating system you/your friend purchased.

You may not be aware, but there are serveral websites where some people have
taken the time to make 64 bit drivers available for Windows XP x64. One of
those websites is www.planetamd64.com. There are others as well, but this
is one that I always think of off the top of my head. The other site you
may want to try looking for drivers is www.softpedia.com. That site also
has some 64 bit drivers. You should search both sites to see if you can find
a device driver or installation software that supports 64 bit operating
systems for the printer and bluetooth device you bought.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is because I assumed that Microsoft is a responsible company. I assumed
> that Microsoft produces good quality of operating system for the market.
> It
> is rather disappointing that Microsoft pushed the trouble-making product
> into
> the market for its long-term business strategy.
>
> "warpsix" wrote:
>
>> I can't belive people would buy it with out looking at a newsgroup or
>> maybe downloading the 120 day free trial just to make sure it works
>>
>> Jeremy Wong ??? wrote:
>> > If you were the system builder, how can you ensure the compatibility
>> > and
>> > provide the support? Let you know how the items were purchased. The
>> > friend
>> > bought a computer together with Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition on day
>> > 1.
>> > Then the friend bought the multi-function printer on day 2. The
>> > Bluetooth-USB
>> > adapter was tested with the x64 windows on day 3.
>> >
>> > It is a fact the the OEM license is purchased from a local computer
>> > shop.
>> >
>> > It is understood that there is no downgrade path from x64 to 32-bit. I
>> > request for a creation of the path..
>> >
>> > There are many printers and bluetooth adapters available in the market,
>> > few
>> > of them support 64-bit windows. Supporting 64-bit windows is not the
>> > only
>> > criteria in considering a product. Taking printer into consideration, I
>> > would
>> > calculate the cost of ink, laser toner. I know that HP provides 64-bit
>> > drivers, but the ink of HP printers is very expensive comparing with
>> > other
>> > products in the market. The bluetooth adapter supports bluetooth
>> > headset, it
>> > requires Windows XP. It works fine in 32-bit XP, never in 64-bit XP.
>> >
>> > It is intuitive to regard the x64 edition as a member of the "Microsoft
>> > Windows XP" series. I do not observe the requirements of the
>> > peripherals
>> > distinguishing between 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition. Who know that
>> > they
>> > are incompatible in some sense?
>> >
>> > It is a serious problem of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional
>> > Edition"
>> > including the brand "Microsoft Windows XP", because the x64 edition is
>> > not
>> > compatible with other members of the Microsoft Windows XP family.
>> >
>> > Don't put your customer's trouble as a mean to encourage the hardware
>> > manufacturer to support 64-bit windows.
>> >

>> > Jeremy Wong

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:12:58 -0600, Bruce Chambers <(E-Mail Removed)3t>
wrote:

> Wouldn't it be much simpler if the consumer just did a little product
>research *before* making a purchase? The he/she would have to ask
>someone else to bail him/herself out from his/her own mistake.

Nono, that is not necessary. Make purchase on the fly, and blame someone
else if it doesn't work. That's the current society for you.

jud

Jimmy

This is exactly why Microsoft is NOT making 64-bit windows a RETAIL product.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes; it is what is intended. Windows XP professional is sold as an OEM

only
> purchase to be supported by the vendor you bought it from. If they do not
> support it, you are out of luck.
> Are you going to continue to beat this poor dead horse forever? Microsoft
> has no obligation to you in this matter. Never did, never will. Accept

it.
> Go on with your life. Learn from this experience. Don't jump into
> something unless you are fully aware of what you are getting into.
>
> Microsoft owes you nothing.
>
> Stop whining.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can a PC maker support the 64-bit issue..?
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Because MS is not responsible for selling and supporting it. The PC
> >> maker
> >> is.
> >>
> >> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

XP

32.

many

with.

counterpart.

the

x64"

David R. Norton MVP

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> The upgrade is always an 'upgrade retail' version.

Not always. My Windows 2000 is an upgrade OEM version and my son's laptop
came with Windows98 and a coupon for an upgrade OEM version of XP Home.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>