Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Request for a downgrade from x64 OEM license to 32-bit OEM license

NoNoBadDog!

See my inline answers;

"Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you were the system builder, how can you ensure the compatibility and
> provide the support? Let you know how the items were purchased. The friend
> bought a computer together with Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition on day 1.
> Then the friend bought the multi-function printer on day 2. The
> Bluetooth-USB
> adapter was tested with the x64 windows on day 3.
>
> It is a fact the the OEM license is purchased from a local computer shop.
>
> It is understood that there is no downgrade path from x64 to 32-bit. I
> request for a creation of the path..

Again, you really need to understand that Microsoft has no obligation in
regard to your
current problem.

> There are many printers and bluetooth adapters available in the market,
> few
> of them support 64-bit windows. Supporting 64-bit windows is not the only
> criteria in considering a product. Taking printer into consideration, I
> would
> calculate the cost of ink, laser toner. I know that HP provides 64-bit
> drivers, but the ink of HP printers is very expensive comparing with other
> products in the market. The bluetooth adapter supports bluetooth headset,
> it
> requires Windows XP. It works fine in 32-bit XP, never in 64-bit XP.

Two points;

1. You (or your friend) chose the printer. Evidently, the choice was made
without regard
to the fact that there are no 64 bit drivers for it. The printer was not
manufactured by Microsoft.
The printer is not supported by Microsoft. Why should Microsoft be held
responsible for a
purchase decision either you or your friend made?

I own several HP printers. I do the majority of my printing in draft mode.
I do a lot of printing.
My HP cartridges last for months, and are very economical considering the
number of pages
(both text and color) that I get. Your afrgument about the cost of ink has
not bearing on your vain attempt to make Microsoft culpable for your (or
your friends) lack of reseach and inept buying of products known to be
unsupported by Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

> It is intuitive to regard the x64 edition as a member of the "Microsoft
> Windows XP" series. I do not observe the requirements of the peripherals
> distinguishing between 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition. Who know that
> they
> are incompatible in some sense?

Just because you do not "observe" the requirements, it does not make anyone
else responsible.
Anyone with basic computer skills that can use a search engine can very
quickly and very easily learn what peripherals are supported, and which are
not. Your arrogance does not exclude or protect you,
and your arrogance most definitely does not make Microsoft or anyone else
responsible for your decisions and choices. You sound like a spoiled little
baby here.

> It is a serious problem of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition"
> including the brand "Microsoft Windows XP", because the x64 edition is not
> compatible with other members of the Microsoft Windows XP family.

This is a wild statement to make. You have no concept of what you are
claiming here. May Microsoft "family" applications run fine: Microsoft
Office, Windows Movie Maker, etc, run just fine under Microsoft Windows XP
x64 Professional Edition. You fail to grasp the reality here...

> Don't put your customer's trouble as a mean to encourage the hardware
> manufacturer to support 64-bit windows.

Unless you make your dissatisfaction known, then it is even more unlikely
that Canon or any other
manufacturer will do anyhing ...again you miss the point entirely. Vote
with your wallet, and boycott any and every OEM that does not support
Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition. There are many that do, and
many that don't. Send emails to those that don't. Tell them that they have
lost another customer. If one person does it, so what? If everyone who has
problems does it, and stops buying their products, then they will *have* to
do something. Your whining to Microsoft will serve no purpose. Microsoft is
under no obligation whatsoever to provide drivers for the hardware you
bought. Please read the preceeding sentence over and over until it begins
to sink in to your adlled brain. You are barking up the wrong tree...

Bobby

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> 1.) Read the license. There IS NO retail product for x64. The OEM product
>> is
>> NOT a retail product, it is tied to the hardware. It is forever linked to
>> the hardware it was bought with. It is the responsibility of the system
>> builder (in this case the person who assembled it) to ensure
>> compatibility
>> and provide support for it.
>> 2.) There is no downgrade path. None. You may, of course, buy a 32-bit
>> license and install it, either OEM or Retail. If it's OEM, it's tied to
>> the
>> computer it's bought for/with. If it's retail, it is not, you may remove
>> it
>> from one machine and install it on another.
>> 3.) There are perfectly good bluetooth adapters and printers that work
>> fine
>> with x64 Edition. I know, because I'm running both here. Again, it is the
>> responsibility of the OEM to ensure compatibility.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Jeremy Wong ??? wrote:
>> > It is a self-assemble computer. The OEM license was obtained when I
>> > purchased the hardware in a computer shopping centre. It is a common
>> > practice to have the OEM license in this way.
>> >
>> > That means that there is no other hardware manufacturer. The end-user
>> > obtained the OEM license in a shop. The product I bought is "Microsoft
>> > Windows XP", having the brand name "Microsoft". I would say that it is
>> > an
>> > improper use of the brand "Microsoft Windows XP" as it misleaded me, at
>> > least, that the "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition" is
>> > compatible with other products sold under the brand name of "Microsoft
>> > Windows XP".
>> >
>> > Sorry that I do not want to argue whatever license it is. I only want
>> > have the problem solved. A consumer paid for a product, but the product
>> > did not work as expected. Why should the consumer pay for the product?
>> >
>> > It is reasonable to downgrade from x64 to its 32-bit counterpart as we
>> > pay
>> > for each license. We are not using any pirate copy...
>> >
>> > It is irresponsible to sacrifice the end-user as a mean to "encourage"
>> > the
>> > hardware manufacturers producing 64-bit drivers. I urge you to provide
>> > free courses for porting drivers to 64-bit Windows, especially to those
>> > hardware manufacturers owning a large market segment. Another mean is
>> > have Intel and AMD announcing not to ship 32-bit CPU any more. The
>> > hardware manufactuers may then start to consider a support of the
>> > 64-bit
>> > windows.
>> >

>> > Jeremy Wong

=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?=

Can a PC maker support the 64-bit issue..?

"Colin Barnhorst MVP" wrote:

> Because MS is not responsible for selling and supporting it. The PC maker
> is.
>
> "Jeremy Wong 黃泓量" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What is the problem as it is an OEM license?
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> One problem is that it is an OEM license.
> >>
> >> "Jeremy Wong 黃泓量" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

NoNoBadDog!

Yes; it is what is intended. Windows XP professional is sold as an OEM only
purchase to be supported by the vendor you bought it from. If they do not
support it, you are out of luck.
Are you going to continue to beat this poor dead horse forever? Microsoft
has no obligation to you in this matter. Never did, never will. Accept it.
Go on with your life. Learn from this experience. Don't jump into
something unless you are fully aware of what you are getting into.

Microsoft owes you nothing.

Stop whining.

Bobby

"Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a PC maker support the 64-bit issue..?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst MVP" wrote:
>
>> Because MS is not responsible for selling and supporting it. The PC
>> maker
>> is.
>>
>> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > What is the problem as it is an OEM license?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?=

Good reply.

I conclude that Microsoft does not take the responsibility, so does Canon.

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> [...]

> >> NOT a retail product, it is tied to the hardware. It is forever linked to
> >> the hardware it was bought with. It is the responsibility of the system
> >> builder (in this case the person who assembled it) to ensure
> >> compatibility
> >> and provide support for it.
> >> 2.) There is no downgrade path. None. You may, of course, buy a 32-bit
> >> license and install it, either OEM or Retail. If it's OEM, it's tied to
> >> the
> >> computer it's bought for/with. If it's retail, it is not, you may remove
> >> it
> >> from one machine and install it on another.
> >> 3.) There are perfectly good bluetooth adapters and printers that work
> >> fine
> >> with x64 Edition. I know, because I'm running both here. Again, it is the
> >> responsibility of the OEM to ensure compatibility.

John Barnes

There is a downgrade path. It's called buy an x86 license or product. You
are the one who failed to take advantage of the 'trial' version to make sure
that it was right for you.

> [...]

>> Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition. There are many that do,
>> and
>> many that don't. Send emails to those that don't. Tell them that they
>> have
>> lost another customer. If one person does it, so what? If everyone who
>> has
>> problems does it, and stops buying their products, then they will *have*
>> do something. Your whining to Microsoft will serve no purpose. Microsoft
>> is
>> under no obligation whatsoever to provide drivers for the hardware you
>> bought. Please read the preceeding sentence over and over until it
>> begins
>> to sink in to your adlled brain. You are barking up the wrong tree...
>>
>> Bobby

=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?=

It sounds a good news to me. However I cannot find the x86 license available
from Microsoft's web site. Could you provide the SKU code of the x86 license
so that I may order it for my friend.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> [...]
> >> with your wallet, and boycott any and every OEM that does not support
> >> Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition. There are many that do,
> >> and
> >> many that don't. Send emails to those that don't. Tell them that they
> >> have
> >> lost another customer. If one person does it, so what? If everyone who
> >> has
> >> problems does it, and stops buying their products, then they will *have*
> >> do something. Your whining to Microsoft will serve no purpose. Microsoft
> >> is
> >> under no obligation whatsoever to provide drivers for the hardware you
> >> bought. Please read the preceeding sentence over and over until it
> >> begins
> >> to sink in to your adlled brain. You are barking up the wrong tree...

Colin Barnhorst MVP

The x86 license is not a bargain. It costs as much or more than you can buy
32-bit XP retail edition for on eBay.

"Jeremy Wong 黃泓量" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds a good news to me. However I cannot find the x86 license
> available
> from Microsoft's web site. Could you provide the SKU code of the x86
> license
> so that I may order it for my friend.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> There is a downgrade path. It's called buy an x86 license or product.
>> You
>> are the one who failed to take advantage of the 'trial' version to make
>> sure
>> that it was right for you.
>>

>> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Good reply.
>> >
>> > I conclude that Microsoft does not take the responsibility, so does
>> > Canon.

John Barnes

If you go the ebay route make sure you are dealing with a licensed dealer,
otherwise, caveat emptor

Also, does anyone know if he can buy an upgrade version or will the upgrade
version ignore the installed windows x64 version when installing?
It seems only fair that if he has a legal recently purchased version of
Windows, he should be able to buy an upgrade version. But this is
Microsoft!!!

"Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds a good news to me. However I cannot find the x86 license
> available
> from Microsoft's web site. Could you provide the SKU code of the x86
> license
> so that I may order it for my friend.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> There is a downgrade path. It's called buy an x86 license or product.
>> You
>> are the one who failed to take advantage of the 'trial' version to make
>> sure
>> that it was right for you.
>>

>> "Jeremy Wong ???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Good reply.
>> >
>> > I conclude that Microsoft does not take the responsibility, so does
>> > Canon.

warpsix

I can't belive people would buy it with out looking at a newsgroup or
maybe downloading the 120 day free trial just to make sure it works

Jeremy Wong 黃泓量 wrote:
> [...]
>>>Windows XP".
>>>
>>>Sorry that I do not want to argue whatever license it is. I only want to
>>>have the problem solved. A consumer paid for a product, but the product
>>>did not work as expected. Why should the consumer pay for the product?
>>>
>>>It is reasonable to downgrade from x64 to its 32-bit counterpart as we pay
>>>for each license. We are not using any pirate copy...
>>>
>>>It is irresponsible to sacrifice the end-user as a mean to "encourage" the
>>>hardware manufacturers producing 64-bit drivers. I urge you to provide
>>>free courses for porting drivers to 64-bit Windows, especially to those
>>>hardware manufacturers owning a large market segment. Another mean is to
>>>have Intel and AMD announcing not to ship 32-bit CPU any more. The
>>>hardware manufactuers may then start to consider a support of the 64-bit

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, the upgrade version will not "upgrade" x64, and it won't see it. Also,
given that he is on an OEM/System builder license, there is explicitly no
upgrade path except through his OEM/System Builder.

There is a very good reason that MS doesn't have a retail version of XP x64
Edition, and this thread is exactly why.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64