Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type othe

Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type othe

=?Utf-8?B?QUpBWQ==?=

Has anyone run in to this error message:
The image file ...is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current
machine. One of my customers ran in to this when he copied a SETUP file from
another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP file doesn't have any
kind of checks that could prevent him from running the software. The same
process has worked on other machines.

Rick

Although you don't specify the problem is with Win x64, if the error is
in fact occurring in Win x64, it's probably a case where the SETUP file
is a 16-bit program and no 16 bit programs will run in Win x64.

AJAY wrote:
> Has anyone run in to this error message:
> The image file ...is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current
> machine. One of my customers ran in to this when he copied a SETUP file from
> another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP file doesn't have any
> kind of checks that could prevent him from running the software. The same
> process has worked on other machines.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This error message, when encountered on an x64 Edition machine, indicates
that your application or its setup program is 16 bit. There is no support
for 16 bit applications in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

AJAY wrote:
> Has anyone run in to this error message:
> The image file ...is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
> current machine. One of my customers ran in to this when he copied a
> SETUP file from another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP file
> doesn't have any kind of checks that could prevent him from running the
> software. The same process has worked on other machines.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I see this error most commonly reported when a customer tries to run 64-bit
Setup.exe or Winnt32.exe from inside a 32-bit version of Windows.
Since setup.exe and winnt32.exe are 64-bit executables and the installed OS
is 32-bit, there isn't a way to get the program to run.
You have to boot to the cd to be able to install 64-bit Windows.
We also see this error when someone tries to run setup or winnt32 of IA-64
versions of Windows under either 32-bit or x64 bits versions of Windows.
You could see this type of error trying to run the x64 version of setup or
winnt32 on an Itanium machine running Windows, but we don't see customers
reporting that .
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type
othe
<Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:23:56 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<This error message, when encountered on an x64 Edition machine, indicates
<that your application or its setup program is 16 bit. There is no support
<for 16 bit applications in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
<
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<
<AJAY wrote:
<> Has anyone run in to this error message:
<> The image file ...is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
<> current machine. One of my customers ran in to this when he copied a
<> SETUP file from another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP file
<> doesn't have any kind of checks that could prevent him from running the
<> software. The same process has worked on other machines.
<
<
<

Charlie Russel - MVP

good points, Darrell -- any of those scenarios would give you that result.
But you also get exactly the same error message from a DOS or 16 bit program
that tries to run in x64 Edition.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
> Hello,
> I see this error most commonly reported when a customer tries to run
> 64-bit Setup.exe or Winnt32.exe from inside a 32-bit version of Windows.
> Since setup.exe and winnt32.exe are 64-bit executables and the installed
> OS is 32-bit, there isn't a way to get the program to run.
> You have to boot to the cd to be able to install 64-bit Windows.
> We also see this error when someone tries to run setup or winnt32 of IA-64
> versions of Windows under either 32-bit or x64 bits versions of Windows.
> You could see this type of error trying to run the x64 version of setup or
> winnt32 on an Itanium machine running Windows, but we don't see customers
> reporting that .
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine
> type othe
> <Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:23:56 -0700
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <This error message, when encountered on an x64 Edition machine, indicates
> <that your application or its setup program is 16 bit. There is no support
> <for 16 bit applications in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
> <
> <--
> <Charlie.
> <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> <
> <AJAY wrote:
> <> Has anyone run in to this error message:
> <> The image file ...is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
> <> current machine. One of my customers ran in to this when he copied a
> <> SETUP file from another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP
> file <> doesn't have any kind of checks that could prevent him from
> running the <> software. The same process has worked on other machines.
> <
> <
> <

saurabh.x.sinha@gmail.com saurabh.x.sinha@gmail.com is offline
Junior Member
Location: Bangalore , India

Hi

While patching SQL server 2005 SP1 to SP2, I also face below error

Error: The image file is valid , but is for a machine type other than the current machine

In my case Sql server is 32 bit and I am applying 64 bit sql patch

Thanks
Saurabh Sinha