Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > When will Win64 bit be used by consumers at home?

When will Win64 bit be used by consumers at home?

zekolas

mgerberi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
> consumers for home use?

Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance
is so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch
up to AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively
promoting 64 bit software.

This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

Homer J. Simpson

> I don't see retail availability (meaning targeted to consumers for home
> use) ever happening.

"Ever" is such a strong word.

We needed Windows 95 to transition the masses to 32-bit systems, even though
NT 3.1 had been out since 1993 (or was it 1991...) It took a long time, but
we eventually made it. Hell, 386 CPUs supported 32-bit instructions and
those came out what, in the mid- to late 80's? It took *10 years* for
software to be able to take advantage of it...how long have "mainstream"
64-bit CPUs been out for?

Colin Barnhorst MVP

I would hope that the Compatibility Wizard would help guide users to the
best edition to install.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Still causes the problem of installing the 64-bit version and having
> driver issues and software issues with home systems. At least then,
> hopefully windows will have a designation for the products (32 & 64 bit
> products) so software and hardware will tell the user beforehand that it
> is compatible with their version of Vista.
> Probably will be many years before alot of home user programs are
> rewritten to work on x64. One of my most used programs which overlays the
> clock with a popup scheduler has one useless feature left when installed
> on x64, it plays Westminster Chimes when clicked. It is nice to get a
> schedule of everything I have to do by hovering my cursor over the time
> area of the taskbar.
>

> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, it was reported that Windows Vista will give the users the option
>> at installation to choose either 32/64-bit, which means if the user
>> purchased Windows Vista Home Edition, he/she would have the option of
>> installing the 32 bit or 64 bit edition of that operating system. I
>> personally believe it should install according to its architecture.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> "Colin Barnhorst MVP" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It does for those who research carefully to see if they are set up for
>>> it or take steps to get set up. But that isn't the OP's question, which
>>> is when will XPx64 "be marketed/targeted to consumers for home use?" I
>>> just don't see MS marketing XP x64 at consumer outlets. I'm sure they'd
>>> like to, but I agree with their decision.
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst MVP

That's Vista. The OP is talking about XP Pro x64.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, it was reported that Windows Vista will give the users the option at
> installation to choose either 32/64-bit, which means if the user purchased
> Windows Vista Home Edition, he/she would have the option of installing the
> 32 bit or 64 bit edition of that operating system. I personally believe it
> should install according to its architecture.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Colin Barnhorst MVP" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It does for those who research carefully to see if they are set up for it
>> or take steps to get set up. But that isn't the OP's question, which is
>> when will XPx64 "be marketed/targeted to consumers for home use?" I just
>> don't see MS marketing XP x64 at consumer outlets. I'm sure they'd like
>> to, but I agree with their decision.
>>
>> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, if it comes bundled with the system, I don't see why it cannot be
>>> used as a home operating system.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> "Colin Barnhorst MVP" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst MVP

It's called XP Starter and there may be one in the Vista wave.

news:O$tna$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't see retail availability (meaning targeted to consumers for home
>> use) ever happening.

> "Ever" is such a strong word.
>
> We needed Windows 95 to transition the masses to 32-bit systems, even
> though NT 3.1 had been out since 1993 (or was it 1991...) It took a long
> time, but we eventually made it. Hell, 386 CPUs supported 32-bit
> instructions and those came out what, in the mid- to late 80's? It took
> *10 years* for software to be able to take advantage of it...how long have
> "mainstream" 64-bit CPUs been out for?

Colin Barnhorst MVP

I think it is more that MS is hamstrung by the slowness of third party folks
to come out with drivers for thier products.

"zekolas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mgerberi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
>> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
>> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be
>> marketed/targeted to consumers for home use?

> Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
> running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance is
> so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch up to
> AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively promoting
> 64 bit software.
>
> This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

GregRo

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:29:28 -0500, zekolas <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>mgerberi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
>> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
>> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
>> consumers for home use?

>Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
>running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance
>is so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch
>up to AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively
>promoting 64 bit software.
>
>This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

Home come you can not run 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?
It sound like the Amd64 can do both. This solves the problems of
drivers.

Greg R

Colin Barnhorst MVP

You can use 32-bit device drivers on a 64-bit cpu but only when running a
32-bit OS. It is when you run a 64-bit OS that you have to have 64-bit
device drivers.

"GregRo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:29:28 -0500, zekolas <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>mgerberi wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out
>>> until
>>> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
>>> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be
>>> marketed/targeted to
>>> consumers for home use?

>>Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
>>running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance
>>is so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch
>>up to AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively
>>promoting 64 bit software.
>>
>>This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

> Home come you can not run 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?
> It sound like the Amd64 can do both. This solves the problems of
> drivers.
>
> Greg R

Bruce Chambers

mgerberi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
> consumers for home use?
>
> Thanks!

It's been available as the pre-installed OS on OEM systems for some
time, now.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...y/default.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

zekolas

> Home come you can not run 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?
> It sound like the Amd64 can do both. This solves the problems of
> drivers.

The AMD64 processor can run both 32-bit and 64-bit compiled software.
You can install the 32bit version of windowsXP on an athlon64 and it
will run just fine with 32 bit drivers.
However WindowsXP 64 cannot use 32 bit drivers, however it can run most
32 bit programs.