Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ASUS A8V Deluxe

ASUS A8V Deluxe

RonK

Thanks for the extra info Marki.

"Marki Meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Indeed, the problem seems to be the EIDE operating mode on the Promise
> controller.
>
> For RonK's benefit, my HDDs are not set as RAID, only JBOD on the Promise
> controller (which is the only one that will take this configuration).
>
> I have fiddled around with the drives: the VIA controller does not support
> single drive operation, so no luck there. The Promise controller set on
> EIDE
> mode will take one HDD; but Win x64 even with the very latest drivers
> available from PlanetAMD (1.0.0.41) will not see it, end of story!
>
> Looks like I have to wait for the folks at Promise to come up with a
> decent
> driver!! (
>
> Or I could always get 2 identical SATA HDDs, set them up on the Via RAID
> controller and install Win x64 there. Then I will have to use F8 to
> access
> the old disks and win32 stuff.
>
> Thank you all for help and insight.
>
> Cheers!
>
> MM

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya2kgTWVlcmthdA==?=

I never thought the slight difference between the two mobos would have had so
much effect. They are almost identical, except the A8V has the K8T800 "Pro"
chipset.

But as the Southbridge is the same, I "assumed" it would sport the same
support.

I was wrong.

After a brief search, the manuals and online specs reveal the truth: A8V
officially supports JBOD on the VIA VT8237, K8V does not!!!

I am considering options: getting 2 drives for the VIA controller or
swapping board for A8V and upgrading to 939 architecture altogether, which
gives better future upgradability, albeit being a lot more complicated...

Thanks to Charlie, very helpful, and all the others for the interesting
exchange.

Cheers!

MM

--
New to x64... still learning!
Asus K8V SE Deluxe

"James" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:26:07 -0700, "Marki Meerkat"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Sorry forgot to say that even when proceeding through F1 to boot from the CD,
> >the VIA drivers (both 4.30C, G or H) fail to see the single drive on the VIA
> >controller...
> >
> >Dunno...
> >
> >MM

> I can also confirm that the A8V works with a single sata HDD on the
> Via controller ie non raid.
> James
>
> They think it's all over... it is now.
> Take the FUN out of my email address to reply.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The A8V (and other 939 pin mobos) gives you the option of moving to a
dual-core processor when they finally get down to affordable levels. I have
to say my A8V has been rock solid. It's currently running XP Professional
x64 Edition with 3 Server 2003 virtual machines running full time. An SP1
version, and two R2 versions, including a domain controller. It just sits
there, purring along, without a whimper or problem. 3 NICs -- one to my
internal network, one to my demo/test network, and one to the internet. And
no driver issues at all.

My second A8V has been built and rebuilt about 50 times, working on a
deployment project. Now that that is done, it's about to get upgraded to 4GB
of RAM and it will get added to the virtual machine network.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Marki Meerkat wrote:
> I never thought the slight difference between the two mobos would have
> had so much effect. They are almost identical, except the A8V has the
> K8T800 "Pro" chipset.
>
> But as the Southbridge is the same, I "assumed" it would sport the same
> support.
>
> I was wrong.
>
> After a brief search, the manuals and online specs reveal the truth: A8V
> officially supports JBOD on the VIA VT8237, K8V does not!!!
>
> I am considering options: getting 2 drives for the VIA controller or
> swapping board for A8V and upgrading to 939 architecture altogether, which
> gives better future upgradability, albeit being a lot more complicated...
>
> Thanks to Charlie, very helpful, and all the others for the interesting
> exchange.
>
> Cheers!
>
> MM
>

>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:26:07 -0700, "Marki Meerkat"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry forgot to say that even when proceeding through F1 to boot from
>>> the CD, the VIA drivers (both 4.30C, G or H) fail to see the single
>>> drive on the VIA controller...
>>>
>>> Dunno...
>>>
>>> MM

>> I can also confirm that the A8V works with a single sata HDD on the
>> Via controller ie non raid.
>> James
>>
>> They think it's all over... it is now.
>> Take the FUN out of my email address to reply.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya2kgTWVlcmthdA==?=

Hello Charlie and friends... I am back! With some news...

On a suggestion from Asus Tech Support, I set the Promise controller to
RAID, then created an Array 1+0 on only one disk, then connected the second
drive and repeated the procedure. I can now use the two disks independently
with aboslutely no data loss.

This way, loe and behold, I managed to install Win x64. The installer
recognised the Promise 64bit driver from floppy and proceeded flawlessly with
the whole installation; just one piece of software (no name shown on the pop
up window) was reportedly "not tested".

Unfortunately, this is as far as I have been able to go.

With the installation completed, the machine reboots for the first start and
I select "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" from the MultiBoot Menu.

As soon as the black screen with logo and green worm appear, the computer
reboots. And there is no way to go any further...

Just in case some good soul has a solution for this, I can tell you that
trying to start it in Safe Mode, it loads a long series of modules and
drivers and the reboot occurs _always_ after loading (or attempting to load)
a module called:

acpitabl.dat

I can only hope someone has a solution, 'cause I have no idea what to do next.

Cheers!

MM

PS Apologies if this issue has been threaded elsewhere, the search function
in this forum doesn't do me any favours...

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The A8V (and other 939 pin mobos) gives you the option of moving to a
> dual-core processor when they finally get down to affordable levels. I have
> to say my A8V has been rock solid. It's currently running XP Professional
> x64 Edition with 3 Server 2003 virtual machines running full time. An SP1
> version, and two R2 versions, including a domain controller. It just sits
> there, purring along, without a whimper or problem. 3 NICs -- one to my
> internal network, one to my demo/test network, and one to the internet. And
> no driver issues at all.
>
> My second A8V has been built and rebuilt about 50 times, working on a
> deployment project. Now that that is done, it's about to get upgraded to 4GB
> of RAM and it will get added to the virtual machine network.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Marki Meerkat wrote:
> > I never thought the slight difference between the two mobos would have
> > had so much effect. They are almost identical, except the A8V has the
> > K8T800 "Pro" chipset.
> >
> > But as the Southbridge is the same, I "assumed" it would sport the same
> > support.
> >
> > I was wrong.
> >
> > After a brief search, the manuals and online specs reveal the truth: A8V
> > officially supports JBOD on the VIA VT8237, K8V does not!!!
> >
> > I am considering options: getting 2 drives for the VIA controller or
> > swapping board for A8V and upgrading to 939 architecture altogether, which
> > gives better future upgradability, albeit being a lot more complicated...
> >
> > Thanks to Charlie, very helpful, and all the others for the interesting
> > exchange.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > MM

> >> I can also confirm that the A8V works with a single sata HDD on the
> >> Via controller ie non raid.
> >> James
> >>
> >> They think it's all over... it is now.
> >> Take the FUN out of my email address to reply.

Charlie Russel - MVP

What we need to solve this is the stop error message. Use F8 to get into the
boot options choices and select the option to disable automatic restart.
This will force it to display the stop message. Write it down and report
back (or use google on it to point the problem).

FWIW, you _do_ need to set your BIOS to ACPI 2 mode, if I remember what it's
called correctly. But whether it's that file or the one that follows it, or
something else.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Marki Meerkat wrote:
> [...]
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Marki Meerkat wrote:
>>> I never thought the slight difference between the two mobos would have
>>> had so much effect. They are almost identical, except the A8V has the
>>> K8T800 "Pro" chipset.
>>>
>>> But as the Southbridge is the same, I "assumed" it would sport the same
>>> support.
>>>
>>> I was wrong.
>>>
>>> After a brief search, the manuals and online specs reveal the truth: A8V
>>> officially supports JBOD on the VIA VT8237, K8V does not!!!
>>>
>>> I am considering options: getting 2 drives for the VIA controller or
>>> swapping board for A8V and upgrading to 939 architecture altogether,
>>> which gives better future upgradability, albeit being a lot more
>>> complicated...
>>>
>>> Thanks to Charlie, very helpful, and all the others for the interesting

Hi Charlie, thanks again for the prompt intervention.

I checked the BIOS which is set correctly to APIC: if it's disabled WinXP
x64 does
even attempt to start and instructs you to change BIOS to APIC Enabled. I
have no APIC 2 option and the BIOS is the latest available non in Beta for my
mobo.

I have a doubt myself whether it's that module rebooting the machine or the
one that follows; in fact after I see the command line "..../acpitabl.dat" it
takes 2 seconds to reboot, which makes me think that it might be the
following command.

Charlie, in re: "disable automatic restart" option, I do not understand; if
I press F8 at POST, I get a BIOS menu of boot drive selection, which lists
floppy, the two optical drives and the two HDDs. Nothing else.

Maybe you refer to pressing F8 during Win start up, but I am not familiar
with this function; could you please articulate?

Thanks!

MM
--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > PS Apologies if this issue has been threaded elsewhere, the search
> > function in this forum doesn't do me any favours...
> >

> >> The A8V (and other 939 pin mobos) gives you the option of moving to a
> >> dual-core processor when they finally get down to affordable levels. I
> >> have to say my A8V has been rock solid. It's currently running XP
> >> Professional x64 Edition with 3 Server 2003 virtual machines running
> >> full time. An SP1 version, and two R2 versions, including a domain
> >> controller. It just sits there, purring along, without a whimper or
> >> problem. 3 NICs -- one to my internal network, one to my demo/test
> >> network, and one to the internet. And no driver issues at all.
> >>
> >> My second A8V has been built and rebuilt about 50 times, working on a
> >> deployment project. Now that that is done, it's about to get upgraded to
> >> 4GB of RAM and it will get added to the virtual machine network.

yes, during the Windows start up, at the very beginning, press F8. It will
give you a whole bunch of startup options, including safe mode, safe mode
with networking, safe mode command prompt, etc. One of those options is to
turn off automatic reboot on problems, I forget the exact wording. That's
the one you want.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Marki Meerkat wrote:
> [...]
>>> and I select "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" from the MultiBoot
>>> Menu.
>>>
>>> As soon as the black screen with logo and green worm appear, the
>>> computer reboots. And there is no way to go any further...
>>>
>>> Just in case some good soul has a solution for this, I can tell you that
>>> trying to start it in Safe Mode, it loads a long series of modules and
>>> drivers and the reboot occurs _always_ after loading (or attempting to
>>> load) a module called:
>>>
>>> acpitabl.dat
>>>
>>> I can only hope someone has a solution, 'cause I have no idea what to do
>>> next.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> MM
>>>
>>> PS Apologies if this issue has been threaded elsewhere, the search
>>> function in this forum doesn't do me any favours...

Done a bit of fiddling around. Installed new RAID drivers in Win32 and now
the whole system runs fine with Array 1+0 on each HDD. Both old
installations of Win32 run perfectly, no data loss.

I totally forgot about the F8 option at Win boot up, so there. The error
with BSOD is indeed:

STOP: 0x000000007B (and a series of codes in brackets)

I have tried with the latest drivers: one from Asus support download pages;
others from PlanetAMD. One is even declared as "Decorated" (ver. 1.0.0.39)
and the other is more recent (ver. 1.0.0.41).

Both work fine for installation: Win x64 installs very fast and flawlessly,
having each time first performed a full format of the partition.

Re: memory issues, I have run a thorough Memtest86 testing (all night long):
it repeated tests 6 times, with no faults. I have even run stress tests with
SiSoft Sandra 2005 Pro. No probs.

So I assume it's only a Promise driver issue. I have tried to use the VIA
controller drivers and no luck there either.

Charlie... anything?

Anyone....?

Cheers y'all!

MM

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> yes, during the Windows start up, at the very beginning, press F8. It will
> give you a whole bunch of startup options, including safe mode, safe mode
> with networking, safe mode command prompt, etc. One of those options is to
> turn off automatic reboot on problems, I forget the exact wording. That's
> the one you want.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Marki Meerkat wrote:
> > Hi Charlie, thanks again for the prompt intervention.
> >
> > I checked the BIOS which is set correctly to APIC: if it's disabled WinXP
> > x64 does
> > even attempt to start and instructs you to change BIOS to APIC Enabled. I
> > have no APIC 2 option and the BIOS is the latest available non in Beta
> > for my mobo.
> >
> > I have a doubt myself whether it's that module rebooting the machine or
> > the one that follows; in fact after I see the command line
> > "..../acpitabl.dat" it takes 2 seconds to reboot, which makes me think
> > that it might be the following command.
> >
> > Charlie, in re: "disable automatic restart" option, I do not understand;
> > if I press F8 at POST, I get a BIOS menu of boot drive selection, which
> > lists floppy, the two optical drives and the two HDDs. Nothing else.
> >
> > Maybe you refer to pressing F8 during Win start up, but I am not familiar
> > with this function; could you please articulate?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > MM
> >
> >> What we need to solve this is the stop error message. Use F8 to get into
> >> the boot options choices and select the option to disable automatic
> >> restart. This will force it to display the stop message. Write it down
> >> and report back (or use google on it to point the problem).
> >>
> >> FWIW, you _do_ need to set your BIOS to ACPI 2 mode, if I remember what
> >> it's called correctly. But whether it's that file or the one that
> >> follows it, or something else.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

7B says "can't find your hard drive". Yes, it's a driver issue. It's
undoubtedly the Promise drivers, we've seen nothing but trouble here. And
you're not on the A8V, if I remember correctly, so using the VIA doesn't
work for you because on your board you can't use those as straight 'IDE'
mode, only as a RAID.

You might find my blog on PnP and F6 useful for understanding what's going
on, but I'm not sure it points us to a resolution.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Marki Meerkat wrote:
> Done a bit of fiddling around. Installed new RAID drivers in Win32 and
> now the whole system runs fine with Array 1+0 on each HDD. Both old
> installations of Win32 run perfectly, no data loss.
>
> I totally forgot about the F8 option at Win boot up, so there. The error
> with BSOD is indeed:
>
> STOP: 0x000000007B (and a series of codes in brackets)
>
> I have tried with the latest drivers: one from Asus support download
> pages; others from PlanetAMD. One is even declared as "Decorated" (ver.
> 1.0.0.39) and the other is more recent (ver. 1.0.0.41).
>
> Both work fine for installation: Win x64 installs very fast and
> flawlessly, having each time first performed a full format of the
> partition.
>
> Re: memory issues, I have run a thorough Memtest86 testing (all night
> long): it repeated tests 6 times, with no faults. I have even run stress
> tests with SiSoft Sandra 2005 Pro. No probs.
>
> So I assume it's only a Promise driver issue. I have tried to use the VIA
> controller drivers and no luck there either.
>
> Charlie... anything?
>
> Anyone....?
>
> Cheers y'all!
>
> MM
>

>> yes, during the Windows start up, at the very beginning, press F8. It
>> will give you a whole bunch of startup options, including safe mode,
>> safe mode with networking, safe mode command prompt, etc. One of those
>> options is to turn off automatic reboot on problems, I forget the exact
>> wording. That's the one you want.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Marki Meerkat wrote:
>>> Hi Charlie, thanks again for the prompt intervention.
>>>
>>> I checked the BIOS which is set correctly to APIC: if it's disabled
>>> WinXP x64 does
>>> even attempt to start and instructs you to change BIOS to APIC Enabled.
>>> I have no APIC 2 option and the BIOS is the latest available non in Beta
>>> for my mobo.
>>>
>>> I have a doubt myself whether it's that module rebooting the machine or
>>> the one that follows; in fact after I see the command line
>>> "..../acpitabl.dat" it takes 2 seconds to reboot, which makes me think
>>> that it might be the following command.
>>>
>>> Charlie, in re: "disable automatic restart" option, I do not understand;
>>> if I press F8 at POST, I get a BIOS menu of boot drive selection, which
>>> lists floppy, the two optical drives and the two HDDs. Nothing else.
>>>
>>> Maybe you refer to pressing F8 during Win start up, but I am not
>>> familiar with this function; could you please articulate?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> MM

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya2kgTWVlcmthdA==?=

Thanks Charlie, I have read your very informative blogs, and got a good
understanding of what is happening. What can you tell me someone's post
proposing to turn the "decorated driver" check "off" in Winx64? Is it
harmful to the rest of the OS? Moreover, can it be done via the Repair
consol or you must have the OS up and running first?

As far as Via not taking JBOD, that appears to be true: I have tried it
unsuccesfully and is also reflected in the mobo's manual. I am in contact
with Asus Tech Support to see if they know anything different.

Mind you, I have the drives set as RAID as we speak, but as 1+0 on each
individual drive: according to manual/online specs even this setup is not
supported on the Via controller. I can always try, but I fear there might be
another problem.

As I have said before, someone, somewhere wrote a post re: Western Digital
drives not being native SATA but working through an emulator. They were
having the same 7B and driver problems at Win startup, so I am not sure even
swapping board for the A8V would get me going...

In the end I might just _have_ to get an extra 2 Seagate drives, get them on
proper RAID on the VIA controller, and see what happens.

Cheers.

MM