Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ASUS A8V Deluxe

ASUS A8V Deluxe

=?Utf-8?B?Ym13ZXN0NjU2OQ==?=

I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my SATA
drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of the Windows
64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and insert the disk
when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but after I press Enter to
setup Windows I get a message that the Hard Drive was not found.

I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not have a
RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no luck. Any
suggestions??????

RonK

The A8V has Promise and a Via Raid Sata connections. Make sure you have the
dive connected to the promise Sata connection if you are using the promise
Drivers disk during setup.
You can also download the Via 64 drivers from Asus and load them both during
the first part of the install.

"bmwest6569" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my
>SATA
> drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of the
> Windows
> 64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and insert the disk
> when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but after I press Enter
> setup Windows I get a message that the Hard Drive was not found.
>
> I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not have
> RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no luck. Any
> suggestions??????

Charlie Russel - MVP

For that motherboard, you need to disable the Promise controller in BIOS,
and attach the SATA drive to the VIA controlled SATA port (the VIA ones are
the next to the VIA controller and are marked SATA1 and SATA2). Then make
sure you have the latest VIA drivers from www.viaarena.com or from Asus.
Copy the contents of drvdsk to your floppy for F6 installation.

Several of us, including me, have this motherboard and it's working fine, so
not to worry.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

bmwest6569 wrote:
> I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my
> SATA drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of the
> Windows 64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and insert
> the disk when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but after I
> press Enter to setup Windows I get a message that the Hard Drive was not
> found.
>
> I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not
> have a RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no luck.
> Any suggestions??????

Mark Gillespie

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:00:02 +0100, RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The A8V has Promise and a Via Raid Sata connections. Make sure you have
> the
> dive connected to the promise Sata connection if you are using the
> promise
> Drivers disk during setup.
> You can also download the Via 64 drivers from Asus and load them both
> during
> the first part of the install.

You should note that you need a 1.44Mb floppy disk to load drivers, no
other storage methods will work..

Roweman

I have an A8V Deluxe motherboard, as well. It is running XP64 as of
now. You will need to go to Asus web site and download the 64 bit
drivers. You must then copy them to a floppy disc to use after
pressing F6 during setup. Download VIA_RAID_64(WHQL).ZIP and
Promise20378_64.ZIP Unzip and copy to a 1.44mb floppy. On the
VIA_RAID copy the portion marked F6 disc. Load both drivers when
prompted. It works perfectly, I no problems. Be sure to do a clean
install.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:22:02 -0700, "bmwest6569"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my SATA
>drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of the Windows
>64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and insert the disk
>when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but after I press Enter to
>setup Windows I get a message that the Hard Drive was not found.
>
>I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not have a
>RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no luck. Any
>suggestions??????

http://www.usenet.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya2kgTWVlcmthdA==?=

Hi folks, I am new here so please bear with me possibly being naive...

I have a K8V with Promise 378SATA TX2Plus controller which is giving me
problems. As the gentleman who started this thread, Winx64 installer cannot
see the drives even after correctly loading either the Promise or the Via
SATA drivers.

The Hard Disks are connected to the Promise SATA connectors: the reason is
that when I built the machine (8 months ago) and installed WinXP (32bit) I
could not get the system to see the drives if connected to the Via SATA
connectors!

I have set the latest BIOS (not in Beta) to "enable onboard SATA controller"
and on "IDE mode": my 2 WD HDDs are set as JBOD, not as RAID.

While the floppy procedure with 32bit drivers worked perfectly during the
old WinXP/32bit installation, now x64 doesn't seem to like it.

Is there anything I could be missing?

I have read somewhere that Western Digital SATA drives are not natively
SATA, but use an emulation to connect to a SATA controller... does anyone
know anything about that? Could that be the reason?

Finally (I thank you for your patience so far...) if I buy another drive and
connect it to the Via SATA controller, provided x64 sees it and I succesfully
install WinXP64 onto it, will I ever be able to dual boot?!?

Thank you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Cheers all from DownUnder.

MM

--
New to x64... still learning!
Asus K8V SE Deluxe

"Roweman" wrote:

> I have an A8V Deluxe motherboard, as well. It is running XP64 as of
> now. You will need to go to Asus web site and download the 64 bit
> drivers. You must then copy them to a floppy disc to use after
> pressing F6 during setup. Download VIA_RAID_64(WHQL).ZIP and
> Promise20378_64.ZIP Unzip and copy to a 1.44mb floppy. On the
> VIA_RAID copy the portion marked F6 disc. Load both drivers when
> prompted. It works perfectly, I no problems. Be sure to do a clean
> install.
>

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:22:02 -0700, "bmwest6569"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my SATA
> >drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of the Windows
> >64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and insert the disk
> >when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but after I press Enter to
> >setup Windows I get a message that the Hard Drive was not found.
> >
> >I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not have a
> >RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no luck. Any
> >suggestions??????

> http://www.usenet.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

The problem is the Promise controller, and there just aren't working drivers
for it in x64 right now. With no indications of improvement that I've seen.
VIA, on the other hand, has good working drivers for both x64 and 32-bit.
(Both require F6 and a floppy, but both work just fine.)

On that machine, getting both to dual boot is going to mean rebuilding with
the drives connected to the VIA controller. A RPITA, I agree.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Marki Meerkat wrote:
> Hi folks, I am new here so please bear with me possibly being naive...
>
> I have a K8V with Promise 378SATA TX2Plus controller which is giving me
> problems. As the gentleman who started this thread, Winx64 installer
> cannot see the drives even after correctly loading either the Promise or
> the Via SATA drivers.
>
> The Hard Disks are connected to the Promise SATA connectors: the reason is
> that when I built the machine (8 months ago) and installed WinXP (32bit) I
> could not get the system to see the drives if connected to the Via SATA
> connectors!
>
> I have set the latest BIOS (not in Beta) to "enable onboard SATA
> controller" and on "IDE mode": my 2 WD HDDs are set as JBOD, not as RAID.
>
> While the floppy procedure with 32bit drivers worked perfectly during the
> old WinXP/32bit installation, now x64 doesn't seem to like it.
>
> Is there anything I could be missing?
>
> I have read somewhere that Western Digital SATA drives are not natively
> SATA, but use an emulation to connect to a SATA controller... does anyone
> know anything about that? Could that be the reason?
>
> Finally (I thank you for your patience so far...) if I buy another drive
> and connect it to the Via SATA controller, provided x64 sees it and I
> succesfully install WinXP64 onto it, will I ever be able to dual boot?!?
>
> Thank you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
>
> Cheers all from DownUnder.
>
> MM
>

>> I have an A8V Deluxe motherboard, as well. It is running XP64 as of
>> now. You will need to go to Asus web site and download the 64 bit
>> drivers. You must then copy them to a floppy disc to use after
>> pressing F6 during setup. Download VIA_RAID_64(WHQL).ZIP and
>> Promise20378_64.ZIP Unzip and copy to a 1.44mb floppy. On the
>> VIA_RAID copy the portion marked F6 disc. Load both drivers when
>> prompted. It works perfectly, I no problems. Be sure to do a clean
>> install.
>>

>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:22:02 -0700, "bmwest6569"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an A8V motherboard and am trying to install Windows 64 bit on my
>>> SATA drive. I have downloaded the drivers from ASUS and boot off of
>>> the Windows 64 cd to install. I press F6 to install SCSI drivers and
>>> insert the disk when it tell me to. Windows sees the controller, but
>>> after I press Enter to setup Windows I get a message that the Hard
>>> Drive was not found.
>>>
>>> I have the Promise controller set to run in IDE mode because I do not
>>> have a RAID setup. I have looked on several message boards with no
>>> luck. Any suggestions??????

>> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
>> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
>> http://www.usenet.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya2kgTWVlcmthdA==?=

G'Day Charlie! Thanks for the prompt reply. This driver scenario sounds
pretty grim... but I suppose one other option exists...

I can get another SATA drive (better Seagate, just in case) connect it to
the VIA controller and load XP64 on this one, leaving the other two to run
old 32bit stuff. I can always access the data on these anyway...

At boot up... it will be an F8 scenario to select which MBR to access!

What do you think?

Cheers!

MM

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The problem is the Promise controller, and there just aren't working drivers
> for it in x64 right now. With no indications of improvement that I've seen.
> VIA, on the other hand, has good working drivers for both x64 and 32-bit.
> (Both require F6 and a floppy, but both work just fine.)
>
> On that machine, getting both to dual boot is going to mean rebuilding with
> the drives connected to the VIA controller. A RPITA, I agree.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Marki Meerkat wrote:
> > Hi folks, I am new here so please bear with me possibly being naive...
> >
> > I have a K8V with Promise 378SATA TX2Plus controller which is giving me
> > problems. As the gentleman who started this thread, Winx64 installer
> > cannot see the drives even after correctly loading either the Promise or
> > the Via SATA drivers.
> >
> > The Hard Disks are connected to the Promise SATA connectors: the reason is
> > that when I built the machine (8 months ago) and installed WinXP (32bit) I
> > could not get the system to see the drives if connected to the Via SATA
> > connectors!
> >
> > I have set the latest BIOS (not in Beta) to "enable onboard SATA
> > controller" and on "IDE mode": my 2 WD HDDs are set as JBOD, not as RAID.
> >
> > While the floppy procedure with 32bit drivers worked perfectly during the
> > old WinXP/32bit installation, now x64 doesn't seem to like it.
> >
> > Is there anything I could be missing?
> >
> > I have read somewhere that Western Digital SATA drives are not natively
> > SATA, but use an emulation to connect to a SATA controller... does anyone
> > know anything about that? Could that be the reason?
> >
> > Finally (I thank you for your patience so far...) if I buy another drive
> > and connect it to the Via SATA controller, provided x64 sees it and I
> > succesfully install WinXP64 onto it, will I ever be able to dual boot?!?
> >
> > Thank you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
> >
> > Cheers all from DownUnder.
> >
> > MM
> >

> >> I have an A8V Deluxe motherboard, as well. It is running XP64 as of
> >> now. You will need to go to Asus web site and download the 64 bit
> >> drivers. You must then copy them to a floppy disc to use after
> >> pressing F6 during setup. Download VIA_RAID_64(WHQL).ZIP and
> >> Promise20378_64.ZIP Unzip and copy to a 1.44mb floppy. On the
> >> VIA_RAID copy the portion marked F6 disc. Load both drivers when
> >> prompted. It works perfectly, I no problems. Be sure to do a clean
> >> install.

> >> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> >> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> >> http://www.usenet.com

John Barnes

You won't have to F8 at bootup as if the install is successful (which isn't
guaranteed) your boot.ini will offer you a choice during normal bootup. A
note of caution as Charlie has pointed out here before, if you end up with a
SATA II drive, you will probably have to throttle it back in speed to SATA.
Charlie can clarify his prior comments on this.

"Marki Meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > RAID.
>> >
>> > While the floppy procedure with 32bit drivers worked perfectly during
>> > the
>> > old WinXP/32bit installation, now x64 doesn't seem to like it.
>> >
>> > Is there anything I could be missing?
>> >
>> > I have read somewhere that Western Digital SATA drives are not natively
>> > SATA, but use an emulation to connect to a SATA controller... does
>> > anyone
>> > know anything about that? Could that be the reason?
>> >
>> > Finally (I thank you for your patience so far...) if I buy another
>> > drive
>> > and connect it to the Via SATA controller, provided x64 sees it and I
>> > succesfully install WinXP64 onto it, will I ever be able to dual
>> > boot?!?
>> >
>> > Thank you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Without drivers, you won't be able to access what is on the existing hard
drives. They won't be visible to x64 Edition Windows. And if the HD's aren't
visible to the OS, you won't be able to choose which OS to boot to from the
boot.ini file.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64