Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WindowsXP Install - keeps going back to the start?

WindowsXP Install - keeps going back to the start?

=?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.

Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to install
Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at this point
that winxp would normally start the proper install but instead, it goes back
to the start as if the CD is being booted from the beginning - does the
checks again etc...

The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

Charlie Russel - MVP

A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them via F6
during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what you've described
here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and therefore boots from
the CD directly again as the only bootable device present.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

1st time PC builder... wrote:
> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
> GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>
> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
> install Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at
> this point that winxp would normally start the proper install but
> instead, it goes back to the start as if the CD is being booted from the
> beginning - does the checks again etc...
>
> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

=?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

Hi - think you're right - don't have an OS installed at all though to install
the driver?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them via F6
> during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what you've described
> here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and therefore boots from
> the CD directly again as the only bootable device present.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> 1st time PC builder... wrote:
> > Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
> > GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
> >
> > Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
> > completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
> > install Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at
> > this point that winxp would normally start the proper install but
> > instead, it goes back to the start as if the CD is being booted from the
> > beginning - does the checks again etc...
> >
> > The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

John Barnes

Since you are posting on this site you obviously have access to a PC. Go to
your motherboard site and download the latest drivers. Extract any drivers
you need for your hard drives (SATA or RAID) and put them on a floppy. Hit
F6 when requested right after the Windows install disk starts up. When
requested insert your floppy, hit S and select the drivers you need.

"1st time PC builder..." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - think you're right - don't have an OS installed at all though to
> install
> the driver?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them via
>> F6
>> during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what you've
>> described
>> here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and therefore boots
>> from
>> the CD directly again as the only bootable device present.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> 1st time PC builder... wrote:
>> > Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard,
>> > Gigabyte
>> > GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>> >
>> > Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
>> > completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
>> > install Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's
>> > at
>> > this point that winxp would normally start the proper install but
>> > instead, it goes back to the start as if the CD is being booted from
>> > the
>> > beginning - does the checks again etc...
>> >
>> > The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

=?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't have
a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...

"1st time PC builder..." wrote:

> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
> GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>
> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to install
> Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at this point
> that winxp would normally start the proper install but instead, it goes back
> to the start as if the CD is being booted from the beginning - does the
> checks again etc...
>
> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

John Barnes

If you have SATA drives or are going to use RAID, you NEED a floppy. OTOH
since you are using an Nforce4 chipset motherboard, if you have SATA II
drives, you may be out of luck.

"1st time PC builder..." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't
> have
> a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...
>
> "1st time PC builder..." wrote:
>
>> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
>> GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>>
>> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
>> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
>> install
>> Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at this
>> point
>> that winxp would normally start the proper install but instead, it goes
>> back
>> to the start as if the CD is being booted from the beginning - does the
>> checks again etc...
>>
>> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

Charlie Russel - MVP

For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx

And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
setup, and why you care:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx

HTH

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

1st time PC builder... wrote:
> Hi - think you're right - don't have an OS installed at all though to
> install the driver?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them
>> via F6 during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what
>> you've described here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and
>> therefore boots from the CD directly again as the only bootable device
>> present.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> 1st time PC builder... wrote:
>>> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard,
>>> Gigabyte GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>>>
>>> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
>>> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
>>> install Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's
>>> at this point that winxp would normally start the proper install but
>>> instead, it goes back to the start as if the CD is being booted from the
>>> beginning - does the checks again etc...
>>>
>>> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

=?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

yeah, but i have no floppy drive only cd! is there any way around this bcos
windows only asks me to insert a floppy?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Since you are posting on this site you obviously have access to a PC. Go to
> your motherboard site and download the latest drivers. Extract any drivers
> you need for your hard drives (SATA or RAID) and put them on a floppy. Hit
> F6 when requested right after the Windows install disk starts up. When
> requested insert your floppy, hit S and select the drivers you need.
>

> "1st time PC builder..." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi - think you're right - don't have an OS installed at all though to
> > install
> > the driver?
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them via
> >> F6
> >> during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what you've
> >> described
> >> here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and therefore boots
> >> from
> >> the CD directly again as the only bootable device present.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

You'll need to temporarily attach a floppy to it. No choice. Yes, we all
hate it. But won't change before Vista. (Note that most mobos will let you
use a USB floppy here.)

The going price of a floppy drive is well under $20 USD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

1st time PC builder... wrote:
> tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't
> have a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...
>
> "1st time PC builder..." wrote:
>
>> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard, Gigabyte
>> GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>>
>> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
>> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
>> install Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's
>> at this point that winxp would normally start the proper install but
>> instead, it goes back to the start as if the CD is being booted from the
>> beginning - does the checks again etc...
>>
>> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

John Barnes

buy a floppy and hook it up at least temporarily, like Charlie said. You
can find them at most Computer stores for around $7-10