Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WindowsXP Install - keeps going back to the start?

WindowsXP Install - keeps going back to the start?

Colin Nowell

I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built my
GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it pretty
quickly...

One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
plain old WinXP...

I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the SATA
II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality enabled in the
BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).

What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the RAID
functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket S_ATA0_SB
(physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install ran like a
dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main Maxtor volume
for the install.

My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived directly
from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core of things
whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an add-on Sil3114
chip...

Colin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have SATA drives or are going to use RAID, you NEED a floppy. OTOH
> since you are using an Nforce4 chipset motherboard, if you have SATA II
> drives, you may be out of luck.
>

> "1st time PC builder..." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't
>> have
>> a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...
>>
>> "1st time PC builder..." wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All - I have just built a PC Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard,
>>> Gigabyte
>>> GV-RX80L256V GFX card and Athlon 64 FX.
>>>
>>> Installing Windows keeps going round in circles. WinXP in the drive
>>> completes it's initial check of hardware, partitions drive, starts to
>>> install
>>> Windows - no problem so far. Then, it asks to reboot and it's at this
>>> point
>>> that winxp would normally start the proper install but instead, it goes
>>> back
>>> to the start as if the CD is being booted from the beginning - does the
>>> checks again etc...
>>>
>>> The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

John Barnes

Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
without F6 drivers.
Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
without various combinations of drivers as described previously.

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built
> my GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it
> pretty quickly...
>
> One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
> drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
> plain old WinXP...
>
> I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
> supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
> connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the
> SATA II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality enabled
> in the BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).
>
> What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the RAID
> functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket S_ATA0_SB
> (physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install ran like a
> dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main Maxtor volume
> for the install.
>
> My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived
> directly from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core of
> things whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an add-on
> Sil3114 chip...
>
> Colin

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have SATA drives or are going to use RAID, you NEED a floppy.
>> OTOH since you are using an Nforce4 chipset motherboard, if you have SATA
>> II drives, you may be out of luck.
>>

>> "1st time PC builder..." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't
>>> have
>>> a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...

Colin Nowell

That kinda suggests then that SATA is natively supported whereas SATA II
isn't ?

news:ueGNx$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
> installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
> without F6 drivers.
> Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
> without various combinations of drivers as described previously.
>

> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built
>> my GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it
>> pretty quickly...
>>
>> One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
>> drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
>> plain old WinXP...
>>
>> I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
>> supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
>> connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the
>> SATA II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality
>> enabled
>> in the BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).
>>
>> What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the RAID
>> functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket S_ATA0_SB
>> (physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install ran like a
>> dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main Maxtor
>> volume
>> for the install.
>>
>> My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived
>> directly from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core
>> of
>> things whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an
>> add-on
>> Sil3114 chip...
>>
>> Colin

Charlie Russel - MVP

on some mobos. depends on the controller chip

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Nowell wrote:
> That kinda suggests then that SATA is natively supported whereas SATA II
> isn't ?

> news:ueGNx$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
>> installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
>> without F6 drivers.
>> Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
>> without various combinations of drivers as described previously.
>>

>> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built
>>> my GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it
>>> pretty quickly...
>>>
>>> One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
>>> drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
>>> plain old WinXP...
>>>
>>> I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
>>> supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
>>> connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the
>>> SATA II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality
>>> enabled
>>> in the BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).
>>>
>>> What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the
>>> RAID functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket
>>> S_ATA0_SB (physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install
>>> ran like a dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main
>>> Maxtor volume
>>> for the install.
>>>
>>> My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived
>>> directly from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core
>>> of
>>> things whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an
>>> add-on
>>> Sil3114 chip...
>>>
>>> Colin

John Barnes

Yes but Nvidia has claimed "native support for next-generation SATA 3Gb/s
(SATA II) hard drives" and that is one of the reasons I bought an Nforce4
MOBO. Since ASUS refuses help and Nvidia is unreachable, I am stuck using
my SATA drives for systems and SATA II for a data drive. I am beginning to
think I should have stayed with VIA since I see there is a problem with the
cooling of the Nforce4 chip too (9000 rpm and high failure rate).

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That kinda suggests then that SATA is natively supported whereas SATA II
> isn't ?

> news:ueGNx$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
>> installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
>> without F6 drivers.
>> Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
>> without various combinations of drivers as described previously.
>>

>> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built
>>> my GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it
>>> pretty quickly...
>>>
>>> One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
>>> drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
>>> plain old WinXP...
>>>
>>> I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
>>> supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
>>> connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the
>>> SATA II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality
>>> enabled
>>> in the BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).
>>>
>>> What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the
>>> RAID
>>> functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket S_ATA0_SB
>>> (physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install ran like a
>>> dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main Maxtor
>>> volume
>>> for the install.
>>>
>>> My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived
>>> directly from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core
>>> of
>>> things whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an
>>> add-on
>>> Sil3114 chip...
>>>
>>> Colin

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, it's interesting that VIA, often considered a 2nd tier chipset mfg, has
been head and shoulders above nvidia in their success with x64 Edition.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes wrote:
> Yes but Nvidia has claimed "native support for next-generation SATA 3Gb/s
> (SATA II) hard drives" and that is one of the reasons I bought an Nforce4
> MOBO. Since ASUS refuses help and Nvidia is unreachable, I am stuck using
> my SATA drives for systems and SATA II for a data drive. I am beginning
> to think I should have stayed with VIA since I see there is a problem
> with the cooling of the Nforce4 chip too (9000 rpm and high failure rate).
>

> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That kinda suggests then that SATA is natively supported whereas SATA II
>> isn't ?
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ueGNx$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
>>> installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
>>> without F6 drivers.
>>> Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
>>> without various combinations of drivers as described previously.
>>>

>>> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Nowell

Hmmmm.... I don't like the sound of that either....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...