Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > After installation i get a blank screen

After installation i get a blank screen

=?Utf-8?B?c2xha2Vu?=

Group,

I just installed, i believe Windows XP 64 on the configuaration below. The
Windows XP logo starts and everything appears to be working, but then i
receive a blank screen and my monitor says "NOT OPTIMUM MODE 1280X1024. Any
ideas on what to do next?

Thanks

AMD, Qty 2 x Opteron™ 248 2.2 GHz, HT 800MHz, 1MB L2 cache, socket 940, Retail

TYAN, Thunder K8S Pro Dual Opteron Socket 940, DDR400, SATA RAID, Video,
Dual Gb LAN, Retail

DDR-400, Qty 4 x 1024Mb PC3200 DDR-400, ECC, Registered (4GB Total)

MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache

MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache

TYAN, Silicon Image Sil3114 SATA RAID Controller (Integrated)

VIDEO, Integrated ATI RAGE XL SVGA PCI video controller

CREATIVE LABS, Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit, Single

MITSUMI, 1.44Mb 3.5 Black Floppy Drive

NONE, No Tape Drive (choose one)

SONY, Black 52x32x52-16A DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive

BROADCOM, BCM5704C, 10/100/1000 Network Card (Integrated

+ SAMSUNG, 912N, Black 19" TFT LCD .29mm 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz Flat Panel
Monitor (Special!)

=?Utf-8?B?c2xha2Vu?=

From slaken,

Here is some more information. When i press F8 i can open up Win XP in VGA
mode and everything looks fine (except that it is large text). When i change
the screen resolution to HIGH the screen goes blank.

"slaken" wrote:

> Group,
>
> I just installed, i believe Windows XP 64 on the configuaration below. The
> Windows XP logo starts and everything appears to be working, but then i
> receive a blank screen and my monitor says "NOT OPTIMUM MODE 1280X1024. Any
> ideas on what to do next?
>
> Thanks
>

> AMD, Qty 2 x Opteron™ 248 2.2 GHz, HT 800MHz, 1MB L2 cache, socket 940, Retail
>
> TYAN, Thunder K8S Pro Dual Opteron Socket 940, DDR400, SATA RAID, Video,
> Dual Gb LAN, Retail
>
> DDR-400, Qty 4 x 1024Mb PC3200 DDR-400, ECC, Registered (4GB Total)
>
> MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache
>
> MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache
>
> TYAN, Silicon Image Sil3114 SATA RAID Controller (Integrated)
>
> VIDEO, Integrated ATI RAGE XL SVGA PCI video controller
>
> CREATIVE LABS, Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit, Single
>
> MITSUMI, 1.44Mb 3.5 Black Floppy Drive
>
> NONE, No Tape Drive (choose one)
>
> SONY, Black 52x32x52-16A DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
>
> BROADCOM, BCM5704C, 10/100/1000 Network Card (Integrated
>
> + SAMSUNG, 912N, Black 19" TFT LCD .29mm 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz Flat Panel
> Monitor (Special!)

Charlie Russel - MVP

use F8 to get into basic VGA mode, then install the 64-bit video drivers for
your video card.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

slaken wrote:
> From slaken,
>
> Here is some more information. When i press F8 i can open up Win XP in VGA
> mode and everything looks fine (except that it is large text). When i
> change the screen resolution to HIGH the screen goes blank.
>
> "slaken" wrote:
>
>> Group,
>>
>> I just installed, i believe Windows XP 64 on the configuaration below.
>> The Windows XP logo starts and everything appears to be working, but
>> then i receive a blank screen and my monitor says "NOT OPTIMUM MODE
>> 1280X1024. Any ideas on what to do next?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> AMD, Qty 2 x OpteronT 248 2.2 GHz, HT 800MHz, 1MB L2 cache, socket 940,
>> Retail
>>
>> TYAN, Thunder K8S Pro Dual Opteron Socket 940, DDR400, SATA RAID, Video,
>> Dual Gb LAN, Retail
>>
>> DDR-400, Qty 4 x 1024Mb PC3200 DDR-400, ECC, Registered (4GB Total)
>>
>> MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache
>>
>> MAXTOR, 250.0 GB, 7200-RPM, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache
>>
>> TYAN, Silicon Image Sil3114 SATA RAID Controller (Integrated)
>>
>> VIDEO, Integrated ATI RAGE XL SVGA PCI video controller
>>
>> CREATIVE LABS, Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit, Single
>>
>> MITSUMI, 1.44Mb 3.5 Black Floppy Drive
>>
>> NONE, No Tape Drive (choose one)
>>
>> SONY, Black 52x32x52-16A DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
>>
>> BROADCOM, BCM5704C, 10/100/1000 Network Card (Integrated
>>
>> + SAMSUNG, 912N, Black 19" TFT LCD .29mm 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz Flat Panel
>> Monitor (Special!)

zekolas

slaken wrote:
> Group,
>
> I just installed, i believe Windows XP 64 on the configuaration below. The
> Windows XP logo starts and everything appears to be working, but then i
> receive a blank screen and my monitor says "NOT OPTIMUM MODE 1280X1024. Any
> ideas on what to do next

It seeems like windows installed the wrong, or a bad driver for your
video card. So try to uninstall the current driver and then install the
latest driver from the manufactures site.

While the computer is booting press F8 a few times and choose safe mode.
From there go to the system icon in the controll manager then go to the
hardware tab and choose device manager. Find your video card and choose
the "unistall" option and reboot.

Now with the standard vga driver you should be able to boot windows
normally(with horrable resulution and color) and then go to the internet
and download the latest windows 64 bit driver for your video card.