Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AVG anti-virus 64

AVG anti-virus 64

Kue2

part of an e-mail I received today from AVG-anti virus Re windows 64

Unfortunately, AVG Anti-Virus is not compatible with Windows 64-bit version
operating systems. A new AVG Anti-Virus version that will protect 64-bit
computers is under development at the moment.

Kindly check our website, News Section, where information about new AVG
releases will be posted.

Andre Da Costa

Here are some alternative AntiVirus solutions for XP Pro x64:
Avast

The free one from Avast:

http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> part of an e-mail I received today from AVG-anti virus Re windows 64
>
> Unfortunately, AVG Anti-Virus is not compatible with Windows 64-bit
> version operating systems. A new AVG Anti-Virus version that will protect
> 64-bit computers is under development at the moment.
>
> Kindly check our website, News Section, where information about new AVG
> releases will be posted.

Colin Barnhorst MVP

eTrust AV 7.1 is a 64-bit app certified for XP Pro x64.
http://www3.ca.com/smb/product.aspx?...&culture=en-us

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> part of an e-mail I received today from AVG-anti virus Re windows 64
>
> Unfortunately, AVG Anti-Virus is not compatible with Windows 64-bit
> version operating systems. A new AVG Anti-Virus version that will protect
> 64-bit computers is under development at the moment.
>
> Kindly check our website, News Section, where information about new AVG
> releases will be posted.

Steve Thompson

Andre Da Costa wrote:
> Here are some alternative AntiVirus solutions for XP Pro x64:
> Avast
>
> The free one from Avast:
>
> http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm

Hello Andre,

I have been testing NOD32 and Avast over the past week and the only
version of anti virus that runs on both Windows XP x64 Edition and
Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition is NOD32. Avast home and professional
editions, however, only run on Windows XP x64 Edition. If your running
Windows Server 2003 Edition, you will need the server version. And
believe me, it's not cheap. They're asking $400.00 USD for the server
version.

I also tried to get the 64 bit version of eTrust Antivirus 7.1 but
didn't have any luck there. Here is the email that I was sent from CA's
customer service...

Thank you for your interest in Computer Associates International, Inc.'s
(CA) eTrust TM Antivirus v7.1 for Windows evaluation software. This
evaluation includes a 30-day license for Desktops, Servers and the Admin
Server.

Below are the links to download the respective language file to your
hard drive, executing this program will install eTrust Antivirus v7.1
for Windows on your machine:

Chinese: (traditional)
ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eav71cht.exe
English: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eAV71eng.exe
French: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eAV71fra.exe
German: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eAV71deu.exe
Italian: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eAV71ita.exe
Japanese: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/trial/eav/eAV71Trial/eAV71ita.exe
Spanish: ftp://ftp.ca.com/priv/tria! l/eav/eA V71Trial/eAV71esp.exe

If you have any questions, please contact your local eTrust Sales
Representative:
For assistance in the US and Canada, please call 1-800-875-9659.
For international assistance, please click here.

For quality assurance purposes, your local CA representative or reseller
will contact you shortly.

Thank you for doing business with Computer Associates.

Sincerely,

The eTrust TM Antivirus Team

I downloaded the English version and tried to install it on my machine
which is running Windows Server 2003 x64 and the installer immediately
told me that it couldn't run on my machine.

I then called their technical support department and they told me that
they didn't know anything about a 64 bit version.

It's as plain as day on their web site but they don't have a clue.

If you, or anyone else, knows of a different version other than what was
stated in their email to me then please let me know. But until that
happens I'm sticking with NOD32.

Cheers,

Steve

=?Utf-8?B?S2VubnkgLSBNQ1AsTUNEU1QsTUNTQQ==?=

I have AVG 64 on my computer downloaded from the web. Just look for a
different download they are out there.

"Kue2" wrote:

> part of an e-mail I received today from AVG-anti virus Re windows 64
>
> Unfortunately, AVG Anti-Virus is not compatible with Windows 64-bit version
> operating systems. A new AVG Anti-Virus version that will protect 64-bit
> computers is under development at the moment.
>
> Kindly check our website, News Section, where information about new AVG
> releases will be posted.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img...promotion.html

90 day free trial - may include server as I read this one..

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Steve Thompson

Barb Bowman wrote:
> http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img...promotion.html
>
> 90 day free trial - may include server as I read this one..
>
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:38:15 -0400, Steve Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I also tried to get the 64 bit version of eTrust Antivirus 7.1 but
>>didn't have any luck there. Here is the email that I was sent from CA's
>>customer service...

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Thanks Barb,

I'll give it a try a little later on. But I just received another email
from CA that points me to the request I submitted. You might find this
interesting.

http://met.ca.com/CAisd/pdmweb.exe?(E-Mail Removed)

Of course, they don't specifically say v7.1 they just have v7 so what
you provided may be different.

Thanks,

Steve Thompson | Online 64 .NET
http://www.online64.net

Rick

Steve Thompson wrote:
> I'll give it a try a little later on. But I just received another email
> from CA that points me to the request I submitted. You might find this
> interesting.
>
> http://met.ca.com/CAisd/pdmweb.exe?(E-Mail Removed)
>

> Of course, they don't specifically say v7.1 they just have v7 so what
> you provided may be different.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Thompson | Online 64 .NET
> http://www.online64.net

The link Barb gave and your link to your inquiry are referring to two
distinctly different products:

Barb is referring to eTrust Antivirus v7.1.

You are referring to eTrust EZ Antivirus

eTrust Antivirus is in their Small Business category and there are ia32,
ia64, and AMD64 versions of 7.1.

eTrust EX Antivirus is in their Home category and is only available in a
ia32 version.

Steve Thompson

Rick wrote:
> Steve Thompson wrote:
>
>> I'll give it a try a little later on. But I just received another
>> email from CA that points me to the request I submitted. You might
>> find this interesting.
>>
>> http://met.ca.com/CAisd/pdmweb.exe?(E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> Of course, they don't specifically say v7.1 they just have v7 so what
>> you provided may be different.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve Thompson | Online 64 .NET
>> http://www.online64.net

> The link Barb gave and your link to your inquiry are referring to two
> distinctly different products:
>
> Barb is referring to eTrust Antivirus v7.1.
>
> You are referring to eTrust EZ Antivirus
>
> eTrust Antivirus is in their Small Business category and there are ia32,
> ia64, and AMD64 versions of 7.1.
>
> eTrust EX Antivirus is in their Home category and is only available in a
> ia32 version.

Hi Rick,

I just installed the version that Barb had pointed to and I can confirm
that it is in fact the right one. It's amazing that even CA's customer
service AND tech support team know nothing about it.

Cheers,

--
Steve Thompson
Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net

Barb Bowman

the link I supplied was to etrust 7.1, not ez trust.
I have downloaded and installed the 90 day trial and it is performing
flawlessly on XP 64 as well as Vista x64.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Thunderbird - AVG antivirus - K9 spam filter NoMoreMrNiceGuy Firefox 3 02-27-2005 02:23 PM
AVG will not update SHRED Firefox 4 08-26-2004 12:09 PM
Help Sought: When Using Mozilla Firefox AVG Reports Virus Someone Firefox 2 08-17-2004 03:36 AM
How many questions (avg) and How many can i miss? Josh MCSD 2 02-16-2004 07:25 AM
Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 260.1.3 and AVG 6.0 - 521 Fred Computer Support 0 09-23-2003 06:31 PM

Advertisments