Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Machine type other than the current machine?

Machine type other than the current machine?

=?Utf-8?B?REpheS1a?=

I am trying to install Borland's Database Desktop on Windows XP x64 but I get
the message: "SETUP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
current machine" What does this mean, and is there any way around it?

NoNoBadDog!

"DJay-Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to install Borland's Database Desktop on Windows XP x64 but I
>get
> the message: "SETUP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
> current machine" What does this mean, and is there any way around it?

It appears that the Borland application you are trying to install uses a 16
bit installer, and this is not supported under Windows XP Professional x64
Edition.

Bobby

DKI

If the App is 32bit use the work arround if the app is 16bit then your out
of luck since it will not work.

You need the following installed if you have them or again your out of luck
and as long as its not a licence thats been traded in for x64, Windows XP
home/Pro or Windows 2000 (Would be better or if you use the same account
name as on X64 to avoid issues)

WinINSTALL LE whice can be downloaded here
http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Mi...d_16745_1.html

Then follow theses Steps:

If you have the app in question installed uninstall it to then allow it to
be scanned for changes before installing WinINSTALL LE

Install WinINSTALL LE onto your system (Windows XP home/Pro or Windows 2000)
and run the wizard to scan what your system is like
Install the app and then allow it to re run another scan for changes to the
regestry and the files installed and it will make an MSI installer for it to
install on X64.
Then copy the folder with the installer and files over to X64 and install,

Just follow the wizard. its not that hard to make an installer for you 32bit
apps you need or want to use.

Best to keep it backed up for future needs.

news:ezrz%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DJay-Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am trying to install Borland's Database Desktop on Windows XP x64 but I
>>get
>> the message: "SETUP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than
>> the
>> current machine" What does this mean, and is there any way around it?

> It appears that the Borland application you are trying to install uses a
> 16 bit installer, and this is not supported under Windows XP Professional
> x64 Edition.
>
> Bobby

Charlie Russel - MVP

I don't think database desktop made it past 16 bit, actually, now that I
think about it. Though I could be wrong, certainly. It's been a while since
I dealt with all things Borland. (And this from someone who was TeamB for
many, many years.)

--
Charlie.

DKI wrote:
> If the App is 32bit use the work arround if the app is 16bit then your out
> of luck since it will not work.
>
> You need the following installed if you have them or again your out of
> luck and as long as its not a licence thats been traded in for x64,
> Windows XP home/Pro or Windows 2000 (Would be better or if you use the
> same account name as on X64 to avoid issues)
>
> WinINSTALL LE whice can be downloaded here
> http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Mi...d_16745_1.html
>
> Then follow theses Steps:
>
> If you have the app in question installed uninstall it to then allow it to
> be scanned for changes before installing WinINSTALL LE
>
> Install WinINSTALL LE onto your system (Windows XP home/Pro or Windows
> 2000) and run the wizard to scan what your system is like
> Install the app and then allow it to re run another scan for changes to
> the regestry and the files installed and it will make an MSI installer
> for it to install on X64.
> Then copy the folder with the installer and files over to X64 and install,
>
> Just follow the wizard. its not that hard to make an installer for you
> 32bit apps you need or want to use.
>
> Best to keep it backed up for future needs.
>>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:ezrz%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "DJay-Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am trying to install Borland's Database Desktop on Windows XP x64 but
>>> I get
>>> the message: "SETUP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than
>>> the
>>> current machine" What does this mean, and is there any way around it?

>> It appears that the Borland application you are trying to install uses a
>> 16 bit installer, and this is not supported under Windows XP Professional
>> x64 Edition.
>>
>> Bobby

=?Utf-8?B?REpheS1a?=

Is there are way to try WinInstall LE without having to shell out money for it?
I downloaded the program from the link you gave, installed it selecting the
"Demo Version" option, but when I tried to run it, it gave me the message
"Invalid WinInstall License - Please contact ... OnDemand..."

"DKI" wrote:

> If the App is 32bit use the work arround if the app is 16bit then your out
> of luck since it will not work.
>
> You need the following installed if you have them or again your out of luck
> and as long as its not a licence thats been traded in for x64, Windows XP
> home/Pro or Windows 2000 (Would be better or if you use the same account
> name as on X64 to avoid issues)
>
> WinINSTALL LE whice can be downloaded here
> http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Mi...d_16745_1.html
>
> Then follow theses Steps:
>
> If you have the app in question installed uninstall it to then allow it to
> be scanned for changes before installing WinINSTALL LE
>
> Install WinINSTALL LE onto your system (Windows XP home/Pro or Windows 2000)
> and run the wizard to scan what your system is like
> Install the app and then allow it to re run another scan for changes to the
> regestry and the files installed and it will make an MSI installer for it to
> install on X64.
> Then copy the folder with the installer and files over to X64 and install,
>
> Just follow the wizard. its not that hard to make an installer for you 32bit
> apps you need or want to use.
>
> Best to keep it backed up for future needs.

=?Utf-8?B?REpheS1a?=

Wrong - when successfully installed (on Windows XP) the executable is
DBD32.EXE.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I don't think database desktop made it past 16 bit, actually, now that I
> think about it. Though I could be wrong, certainly. It's been a while since
> I dealt with all things Borland. (And this from someone who was TeamB for
> many, many years.)
>
> --
> Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Then it's the 16 bit installer issue. There are some workarounds already
suggested for that, but ultimately it may require you to manually edit the
registry and register any dlls involved if the other suggested workarounds
don't resolve it.

--
Charlie.

DJay-Z wrote:
> Wrong - when successfully installed (on Windows XP) the executable is
> DBD32.EXE.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I don't think database desktop made it past 16 bit, actually, now that I
>> think about it. Though I could be wrong, certainly. It's been a while
>> since I dealt with all things Borland. (And this from someone who was
>> TeamB for many, many years.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

DKI

Thats odd casue there is a was a free verison, when i downloaded it it was
free unless they scrapped it. and decided to charge for it. cause its been a
while since i downloaded it and used it