Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win XP x64 and Registry Cleaners.

Win XP x64 and Registry Cleaners.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64 Edition.

My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are going
to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?

In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
I have not found?

Sam Crawford

On 15-Aug-2005, =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
>
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
> going
> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?

I tried using Registry Mechanic on a trial version of x64 and it wouldn't
run. I don't remember if it would install.

Andre Da Costa

I found one:
http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleanerPro.html

The Registry is a heart and soul of any Windows system. It contains
information that controls how your Windows appears and how it behaves. Most
applications today use registry to store configuration and other important
data. When you install an application, a new registry entries will be
created. This entries will automatically be deleted when you uninstall the
application. Unfortunately, it is not always work that way. Sometimes, you
will find that some applications fail to remove their own registry entries.
This entry will become obsolete.
After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of
applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of obsolete
entries. This will significantly increase the registry size and thus will
slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search,
and read data from registry.

To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to periodically
clean your Windows registry.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"RogerP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64
>Edition.
>
> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
> going
> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>
> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool,
> which
> I have not found?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=

"RogerP" wrote:

> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64 Edition.
>
> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are going
> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>
> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
> I have not found?
> To the best of my knowledge, MS does not have a registry cleaner. Have used Norton Systemworks winDoctor in x64 without errors being a problem. It seems to work just as well as in x32 systems, and can be loaded from the cd. Also, TweakNow regcleaner has been installed for several weeks, and works as long as you only delete those items identified as 'safe'. The first time I deleted a questionable entry, I needed a partition restore. Have used pConPoint safely, but only to delete application problems. Any entries identified as 'virtual drivers' or questionable, one should stay away from. Advice to the wise: have a good backup before messing with any registry enty.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, there are changes in the registry. A 32-bit registry cleaner may well
run, but it will have an incomplete view of the registry -- it will only see
the registry keys that apply to 32-bit programs. Others have suggested
possible cleaners, and some may be 64-bit. Personally, I've never had a need
for one, but then, I don't tend to do a lot of uninstalling -- I build my
system up to what I need it to be, and then I get on with my work. And if I
do uninstall something, and need to clean up after it, I just open regedit
and do it. But YMMV, so take a look at the other recommendations here.

--
Charlie.

RogerP wrote:
> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64
> Edition.
>
> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
> going to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>
> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool,
> which
> I have not found?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

From these comments:
(1) I can assume Win XP X64 does require a Registry Cleaner specifically
designed and tested for it.
(2) No such software yet exists.

"RogerP" wrote:

> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64 Edition.
>
> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are going
> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>
> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
> I have not found?

Andre Da Costa

I am sure I just gave you a link to a native x64 registry cleaner.
http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleanerPro.html
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"RogerP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From these comments:
> (1) I can assume Win XP X64 does require a Registry Cleaner specifically
> designed and tested for it.
> (2) No such software yet exists.
>
> "RogerP" wrote:
>
>> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64
>> Edition.
>>
>> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe
>> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
>> going
>> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>>
>> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool,
>> which
>> I have not found?

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) No, it doesn't need a native 64 bit cleaner, since most of your programs
are still 32-bit anyway. So you'll be fine for at least a while, since there
are some that are 32-bit but will work.
2.) No, there ARE native 64-bit ones. Andre, for one, pointed you at such a
thing.

--
Charlie.

RogerP wrote:
> From these comments:
> (1) I can assume Win XP X64 does require a Registry Cleaner specifically
> designed and tested for it.
> (2) No such software yet exists.
>
> "RogerP" wrote:
>
>> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64
>> Edition.
>>
>> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe
>> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
>> going to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>>
>> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool,
>> which
>> I have not found?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I went to all of the links Andre gave, but
missed the first one.

Thanks for the Time and Inputs from everyone.

Roger

"RogerP" wrote:

> I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64 Edition.
>
> My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
> use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are going
> to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?
>
> In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
> I have not found?

Andre Da Costa

No biggie.