Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Pro Anti- virus

XP Pro Anti- virus

=?Utf-8?B?VHlEeWVk?=

What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro? I'm
aware that some are not compatible

Colin Nowell

"TyDyed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro?
> I'm
> aware that some are not compatible

Well, I have started using avast! 4 Anti-Virus which is free for home and
personal use.

I have it running on the x64 machine and it runs fine and stable and I have
to say, with no where near the kind of system hit that packages like Norton
or Macafee seem to incur...

You can read about it here http://www.avast.com/

Regards,

Colin

Andre Da Costa

There are several, I belive ClamWin, Avast, Symantec and McAfee have all
released 64 bit versions along with some others. Computer Associates also
has a native x64 version of e-Trust has a 64-bit antivirus (Ver. 7.1.192).
Here are some recommendations:
Symantec
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...?ProductID=155

Note: The x64 client that ships with AV Corp10 and it will not update it's
signatures from the parent server, it has to use Live Update which I won't
work through proxyservers.
Avast

The free one from Avast:

Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
release.
http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"TyDyed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro?
> I'm
> aware that some are not compatible

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

I will place another vote for Avast.
Been using for over a month and not problems.

"TyDyed" wrote:

> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro? I'm
> aware that some are not compatible

Andre Da Costa

Some users have reported shutdown issues with it.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"RogerP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will place another vote for Avast.
> Been using for over a month and not problems.
>
> "TyDyed" wrote:
>
>> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro?
>> I'm
>> aware that some are not compatible

wewa

yes, i am one of them.
x64 pretty much hangs with avast on shutdown.
i have to hold my power switch for 5 seconds...

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some users have reported shutdown issues with it.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "RogerP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will place another vote for Avast.
>> Been using for over a month and not problems.
>>
>> "TyDyed" wrote:
>>
>>> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP
>>> Pro? I'm
>>> aware that some are not compatible

J. Eric Durbin

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:59:53 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
>software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
>Anti-Virus product is now available for download.
>
>NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
>Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
>release.
>http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1

Update on the update: as of a few weeks ago NOD32 64bit went
production and must now be purchased (~US$40).

I have it installed on my XP x64 Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice) system and
it works like a charm, very low on resources, small footprint. When
scans run in the background, you don't even notice it. Context menu
integration work as well. Sophisticated GUI compared to Avast, which I
have on W2K laptop with no complaints except the garish, clunky GUI. I
have F-Prot on another 32bit machine with no complaints but as far as
I can tell they are not yet working on a 64bit version.

I suspect I'll eventually migrate all my 32bit machines to NOD32 as
subscriptions expire.

NNBXX

I confirm.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some users have reported shutdown issues with it.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "RogerP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will place another vote for Avast.
>> Been using for over a month and not problems.
>>
>> "TyDyed" wrote:
>>
>>> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP
>>> Pro? I'm
>>> aware that some are not compatible

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Avast works pretty well, however, it does have issues disallowing XP to
shutdown "sometimes" an do have to manually turn off your puter. But not bad
for "free" and a lot less cumbersome than the troubles that will ensue from
any Symantec product will come out with.

"TyDyed" wrote:

> What is the currently the best choice for anti-virus software for XP Pro? I'm
> aware that some are not compatible

John Barnes

No problems here either.