Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?

Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?

P Rowell

Hi Wayne

Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time

My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program i
there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop

It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their we
site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for thei
64bit office suite

I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix

Regard

Pau
---------------------

--
P Rowel
P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=114

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Paul
This is an extremely bad thing to do which is why it is not recommended.
Outlook Express will be prone to crashing if you attempt to run to run the
32-bit version, you may lose information in open messages when you attempt
this.
You really should not be doing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: P Rowell <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?
<Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:34 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time.

My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program in
there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop.

It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their web
site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for their
64bit office suite.

I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix.

Regards

Paul
----------------------

--
P Rowell
P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1144

<

P Rowell

Hi Darrell

No problems so far and no crashes

Until MS pull their finger out and fix this problem I have no optio
other than to use this method. My Office Software is 32bit so can't se
what the problem is

I refuse to be forced into buying a new Office suite when my curren
one is more than sufficiant to my needs

Regard

Paul

'Darrell Gorter[MSFT Wrote:
> [...]

> > > to the system, it is only making it available to 32-bit programs
> > > Since OE is only 64-bit, spell checking is not an option until
> > > 64-bit spell-checking dll is available
> > > 64-bit Office should supply a 64-bit spell-checking dll so 64-bi
> > > applications that use system offered spell checkers will be able t
> > > spell check
> > > Thanks
> > > Darrell Gorter[MSFT

> > Thank you Darrell. I found a work around for this. Just copy th
> > Outloo
> > Express directory from an XP 32 bit directory to a CD. Then create
> > directory in Program Files(x86) on your XP x64 computer name

> anythin
> > bu
> > Outlook Express, say .. OE 32bit. Then create a shortcut on th

> deskto
> > it, and there you go. Now spell check works again. <g

Don Awalt

Why is running OE 32 bit such a risk? I thought typical apps ran fine under
x64, it was drivers that were the issue?

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Paul
> This is an extremely bad thing to do which is why it is not recommended.
> Outlook Express will be prone to crashing if you attempt to run to run the
> 32-bit version, you may lose information in open messages when you attempt
> this.
> You really should not be doing this.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: P Rowell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: Is spell checking ever going to be fixed for 64 bit OE?
> <Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:34 +0100
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time.
>
> My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program in
> there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop.
>
> It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their web
> site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for their
> 64bit office suite.
>
> I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
> ----------------------
>
> Wayne Wastier Wrote:
>> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
>> > Hello Wayne,
>> > This goes back to a 32-bit program cannot load a 64-bit dll or rather
>> > a 64-bit program cannot load a 32-bit dll.
>> > Since Office ships 32-bit only and makes it's spell checker available
>> > to the system, it is only making it available to 32-bit programs.
>> > Since OE is only 64-bit, spell checking is not an option until a
>> > 64-bit spell-checking dll is available.
>> > 64-bit Office should supply a 64-bit spell-checking dll so 64-bit
>> > applications that use system offered spell checkers will be able to
>> > spell check.
>> > Thanks,
>> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
>> >

>> Thank you Darrell. I found a work around for this. Just copy the
>> Outlook
>> Express directory from an XP 32 bit directory to a CD. Then create a
>> directory in Program Files(x86) on your XP x64 computer named anything
>> but
>> Outlook Express, say .. OE 32bit. Then create a shortcut on the desktop
>> it, and there you go. Now spell check works again. <g>
>>

>> Wayne

> --
> P Rowell
> P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1144
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082
>
> <

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Don,
It's the existence of both 32-bit OE and 64-bit OE that is the problem, not
32-bit OE by itself.
They cannot both be running at the same time. So the choice was made to
have 64-bit OE rather than 32-bit OE, so the entry points are now using
64-bit OE.
Since virtually all of the access points to OE in the system are using
64-bit OE, you would be likely to run into issues when running 32-bit
Outlook Express.
So if you start 32-bit OE and then 64-bit OE starts, OE will fault and
shutdown closing all OE Windows.
If are are start 64-bit OE then 32-bit OE is started, OE will fault and
shutdown all OE Windows.
So if you are running 32-bit OE, you have to be careful about what you are
doing that may call 64-bit OE.
So this would mean not doing file-send from applications if OE was the
default mail client.
This would mean not clicking mailto: links to send a message if OE was the
default email client.
File associations associated with OE would start with 64-bit OE, so they
should not run.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Don Awalt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:29:10 -0400
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Why is running OE 32 bit such a risk? I thought typical apps ran fine
under
<x64, it was drivers that were the issue?
<
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> Hello Paul
<> This is an extremely bad thing to do which is why it is not recommended.
<> Outlook Express will be prone to crashing if you attempt to run to run
the
<> 32-bit version, you may lose information in open messages when you
attempt
<> this.
<> You really should not be doing this.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: P Rowell <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:34 +0100
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <
<> Hi Wayne,
<>
<> Thank you for your OE fix, it worked first time.
<>
<> My new computer came with a 32bit programs area, but the program in
<> there was the 64bit version so I copied the folder from my laptop.
<>
<> It's a bit naughty that Microsoft do not suggest this fix on their web
<> site. I think it's a ploy to get us to fork out more cash for their
<> 64bit office suite.
<>
<> I'm also suprised that other forums have not discovered this fix.
<>
<> Regards
<>
<> Paul
<> ----------------------
<>
<> Wayne Wastier Wrote:
<>> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
<>> > Hello Wayne,
<>> > This goes back to a 32-bit program cannot load a 64-bit dll or rather
<>> > a 64-bit program cannot load a 32-bit dll.
<>> > Since Office ships 32-bit only and makes it's spell checker available
<>> > to the system, it is only making it available to 32-bit programs.
<>> > Since OE is only 64-bit, spell checking is not an option until a
<>> > 64-bit spell-checking dll is available.
<>> > 64-bit Office should supply a 64-bit spell-checking dll so 64-bit
<>> > applications that use system offered spell checkers will be able to
<>> > spell check.
<>> > Thanks,
<>> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>> >
<>>
<>> Thank you Darrell. I found a work around for this. Just copy the
<>> Outlook
<>> Express directory from an XP 32 bit directory to a CD. Then create a
<>> directory in Program Files(x86) on your XP x64 computer named anything
<>> but
<>> Outlook Express, say .. OE 32bit. Then create a shortcut on the desktop
<>> it, and there you go. Now spell check works again. <g>
<>>
<>>
<>> Wayne
<>
<>
<> --
<> P Rowell
<> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
<> P Rowell's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1144
<> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082
<>
<> <
<>
<
<
<

Don Awalt

That makes total sense - thanks for the explanation!

news:0k%(E-Mail Removed)...