Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't find hard drive when installing Windows XP 64 Edition

Can't find hard drive when installing Windows XP 64 Edition

Eric

When I try to install this exploitation systeme, the computer say me that he
can't find the hard drive to run the setup. I could it be? Actually, I'm
talking to you from this computer (I'm actually using Xp professionnal).

John Barnes

You are going to have to provide your system information for anyone to
provide you some real help.
Motherboard, chipset, types of drives,

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to install this exploitation systeme, the computer say me that
> he can't find the hard drive to run the setup. I could it be? Actually,
> I'm talking to you from this computer (I'm actually using Xp
> professionnal).

Charlie Russel - MVP

What motherboard/system? What HD type? What controller is it plugged in to?
Give us some help here!

Many computers use SATA/RAID controllers that require you to manually load
drivers during installation of the OS, using the F6 key and inserting a
floppy into the drive. Your computer must be one of those. You'll need to
download the necessary drivers for your computer, and copy the storage
drivers to a floppy for use during installation.

Ultimately, you may need to get someone who is comfortable with this
procedure to help. But if you give us a bit more information, I'm sure we can
at least get you started.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Eric wrote:
> When I try to install this exploitation systeme, the computer say me
> that he can't find the hard drive to run the setup. I could it be?
> Actually, I'm talking to you from this computer (I'm actually using
> Xp professionnal).

Eric

k, my motherboard is a A8V Series from ASUS. K8T800 PRO chipset and I have a
SATA driver... It's an AMD Athlon 64 processor. If you need more details,
just say it.

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> You are going to have to provide your system information for anyone to
> provide you some real help.
> Motherboard, chipset, types of drives,
>

> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I try to install this exploitation systeme, the computer say me that
>> he can't find the hard drive to run the setup. I could it be? Actually,
>> I'm talking to you from this computer (I'm actually using Xp
>> professionnal).

Charlie Russel - MVP

You need to:
1.) Disable the Promise controller in BIOS
2.) Download the drivers for your VIA RAID controller from viaarena.com or
Asus, or planetamd64.com
3.) Unzip the drivers and copy the contents of the drvdsk folder to a floppy
4.) Connect your SATA drive to the SATA1 plug on your motherboard, next to
the VIA controller chip. Do NOT use the two plugs marked "SATA_RAID1" and
"SATA_RAID2" - they are for the Promise controller.
5.) Insert the CD into your CD drive and power on. The MOMENT you see the
prompt at the bottom of the blue screen that says to press F6, do it - press
F6. This will give you an option to add additional storage drivers. When you
get that option, insert the floppy and follow the instructions to press S to
add additional drivers, etc. The setup will complete normally and the
installation will continue.