Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Core Processors

Dual Core Processors

dr.nil

I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinkin
I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet

--
dr.ni
dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=440

Ted

I have Dual Core 3.0 (about $300) with Intel D945PSN motherboard.
Works great, actually it seems to be much faster
than XP 32.
The 3.2 is too expensive (over $600)
www.mwave.com
Has great prices.
Their pre-sales support set me up with all 64 bit compatible
hardware. I will give you the list if you like.

"dr.nil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinking
> I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet?
>

> --
> dr.nil
> dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=339634
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in

NoNoBadDog!

You only need to do a little research to see that AMD X2 is far superior to
the Intel "dual-core" chips. The AMD X2 can communicate directly with each
other across the crossbar; the Intel is two cores glued together that can
only communicate by going out to the Northbridge chip and then back in. The
AMD X2 has an integrated memory controller and supports the 2GHz
Hypertransport bus, while the Intel has neither and instead depends on a
clock double 400MHz FSB (Intel claims this is an 800MHZ FSB, but it is
nowhere near 800MHz in real life). The design of the AMD X2 does not
increase it's thermal envelope, while the Intel "Dual-Core" generates truly
massive amount of heat. On the Intel chip, the L1 data cache and L2 cache
are "inclusive, meaning the same data occupies both (meaning that you can
subtract the amount of L1 data cache from the L2 cache in order to get a
true cache size), while the L1 Data and L2 cache in the AMD chip is
exclusive, meaning that data is loaded independently into each. Do a google
search, or check out the article on page 28 of the July issue of PCWorld
magazine entitled "Dual-Core Duel: AMD beats Intel". There really is no
competition between the two; every single test I have seen has stated that
the AMD is superior in every way (Intel quotes a test in which an app that
was optimized for the P4/netburst Hyperthreading environment in which it
turned in better numbers than AMD, but since it was a test designed
specifically for the P4 with NB and HT, it can be ignored).

Bobby

"dr.nil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinking
> I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet?
>

> --
> dr.nil
> dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=339634
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?U2FsYWh1ZGRpbg==?=

I've purchased an AMD 4400+

Haven't had much time to test it yet, but nothing has slowed down my system
as of yet. Since AMD have faster cores than Intel, I got it mainly for
gaming.

"dr.nil" wrote:

> I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinking
> I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet?
>

> --
> dr.nil
> dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=339634
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in | http://gallery.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

I've got an Intel 830 Dual Core Processor running in a Shuttle SD31P, I
personally find it works brilliantly. Here is a review for you to take a
look at if you are interested:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=705&cid=8

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> You only need to do a little research to see that AMD X2 is far superior to
> the Intel "dual-core" chips. The AMD X2 can communicate directly with each
> other across the crossbar; the Intel is two cores glued together that can
> only communicate by going out to the Northbridge chip and then back in. The
> AMD X2 has an integrated memory controller and supports the 2GHz
> Hypertransport bus, while the Intel has neither and instead depends on a
> clock double 400MHz FSB (Intel claims this is an 800MHZ FSB, but it is
> nowhere near 800MHz in real life). The design of the AMD X2 does not
> increase it's thermal envelope, while the Intel "Dual-Core" generates truly
> massive amount of heat. On the Intel chip, the L1 data cache and L2 cache
> are "inclusive, meaning the same data occupies both (meaning that you can
> subtract the amount of L1 data cache from the L2 cache in order to get a
> true cache size), while the L1 Data and L2 cache in the AMD chip is
> exclusive, meaning that data is loaded independently into each. Do a google
> search, or check out the article on page 28 of the July issue of PCWorld
> magazine entitled "Dual-Core Duel: AMD beats Intel". There really is no
> competition between the two; every single test I have seen has stated that
> the AMD is superior in every way (Intel quotes a test in which an app that
> was optimized for the P4/netburst Hyperthreading environment in which it
> turned in better numbers than AMD, but since it was a test designed
> specifically for the P4 with NB and HT, it can be ignored).
>
> Bobby
>
> "dr.nil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinking
> > I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet?
> >

> > --
> > dr.nil
> > dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=339634
> > Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> > http://gallery.techarena.in

NoNoBadDog!

Glad you are happy with it. I merely stated the AMD X2 will outperform it
(by a wide margin); suggest you also read the reference I posted; the AMD
was compared directly to the chip in your machine, and it smoked it. As I
stated, I also used to like Intel chips, but since AMD has taken the lead in
chip design and innovation, they are the clear choice. Perhaps that is why
Microsoft opted to replace all of it's systems used in the development of
Windows to ones using AMD64 chips.

Bobby

"bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got an Intel 830 Dual Core Processor running in a Shuttle SD31P, I
> personally find it works brilliantly. Here is a review for you to take a
> look at if you are interested:
>
> http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=705&cid=8
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>
>> You only need to do a little research to see that AMD X2 is far superior
>> the Intel "dual-core" chips. The AMD X2 can communicate directly with
>> each
>> other across the crossbar; the Intel is two cores glued together that
>> can
>> only communicate by going out to the Northbridge chip and then back in.
>> The
>> AMD X2 has an integrated memory controller and supports the 2GHz
>> Hypertransport bus, while the Intel has neither and instead depends on a
>> clock double 400MHz FSB (Intel claims this is an 800MHZ FSB, but it is
>> nowhere near 800MHz in real life). The design of the AMD X2 does not
>> increase it's thermal envelope, while the Intel "Dual-Core" generates
>> truly
>> massive amount of heat. On the Intel chip, the L1 data cache and L2
>> cache
>> are "inclusive, meaning the same data occupies both (meaning that you can
>> subtract the amount of L1 data cache from the L2 cache in order to get a
>> true cache size), while the L1 Data and L2 cache in the AMD chip is
>> exclusive, meaning that data is loaded independently into each. Do a
>> google
>> search, or check out the article on page 28 of the July issue of PCWorld
>> magazine entitled "Dual-Core Duel: AMD beats Intel". There really is no
>> competition between the two; every single test I have seen has stated
>> that
>> the AMD is superior in every way (Intel quotes a test in which an app
>> that
>> was optimized for the P4/netburst Hyperthreading environment in which it
>> turned in better numbers than AMD, but since it was a test designed
>> specifically for the P4 with NB and HT, it can be ignored).
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "dr.nil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop soon, and I'm thinking
>> > I'll probably go with a dual core. Anyone have one yet?
>> >

>> > --
>> > dr.nil
>> > dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
>> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=339634
>> > Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
>> > http://gallery.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

Bobby,

My post is actually aimed for Dr.Nil, and from his original request he just
wanted opinions of dual core processors, so I gave him mine.

Is that okay!!

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> Glad you are happy with it. I merely stated the AMD X2 will outperform it
> (by a wide margin); suggest you also read the reference I posted; the AMD
> was compared directly to the chip in your machine, and it smoked it. As I
> stated, I also used to like Intel chips, but since AMD has taken the lead in
> chip design and innovation, they are the clear choice. Perhaps that is why
> Microsoft opted to replace all of it's systems used in the development of
> Windows to ones using AMD64 chips.
>
> Bobby
>
> "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got an Intel 830 Dual Core Processor running in a Shuttle SD31P, I
> > personally find it works brilliantly. Here is a review for you to take a
> > look at if you are interested:
> >
> > http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=705&cid=8
> >

> > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
> >
> >> You only need to do a little research to see that AMD X2 is far superior
> >> the Intel "dual-core" chips. The AMD X2 can communicate directly with
> >> each
> >> other across the crossbar; the Intel is two cores glued together that
> >> can
> >> only communicate by going out to the Northbridge chip and then back in.
> >> The
> >> AMD X2 has an integrated memory controller and supports the 2GHz
> >> Hypertransport bus, while the Intel has neither and instead depends on a
> >> clock double 400MHz FSB (Intel claims this is an 800MHZ FSB, but it is
> >> nowhere near 800MHz in real life). The design of the AMD X2 does not
> >> increase it's thermal envelope, while the Intel "Dual-Core" generates
> >> truly
> >> massive amount of heat. On the Intel chip, the L1 data cache and L2
> >> cache
> >> are "inclusive, meaning the same data occupies both (meaning that you can
> >> subtract the amount of L1 data cache from the L2 cache in order to get a
> >> true cache size), while the L1 Data and L2 cache in the AMD chip is
> >> exclusive, meaning that data is loaded independently into each. Do a
> >> google
> >> search, or check out the article on page 28 of the July issue of PCWorld
> >> magazine entitled "Dual-Core Duel: AMD beats Intel". There really is no
> >> competition between the two; every single test I have seen has stated
> >> that
> >> the AMD is superior in every way (Intel quotes a test in which an app
> >> that
> >> was optimized for the P4/netburst Hyperthreading environment in which it
> >> turned in better numbers than AMD, but since it was a test designed
> >> specifically for the P4 with NB and HT, it can be ignored).
> >>
> >> Bobby
> >>
> >> "dr.nil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBILg==?=

I love my dual core! I'm running AMD64 4800+ on a Abit AN8-SLi mobo. If your
in the market for a gamer PC definitly go AMD.