Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Boot

Dual Boot

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

Hi,

Does anyone know the best procedure for dual booting x64 and Windows XP Pro
32bit, I guess it's best to install x64 first then do the installation of
32bit?

Many Thanks

Andrew Ahearne

Actually it would be the other way around. General rule of thumb is to
install the older OS first. Seperate partitions are the road you want to go
down although when it comes to 32bit apps such as Office I found you can
install them in the same place in both OSs and they work fine.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

"bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know the best procedure for dual booting x64 and Windows XP
> Pro
> 32bit, I guess it's best to install x64 first then do the installation of
> 32bit?
>
> Many Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

That's cool, I've already got the 32bit version installed, I will create a
new 30Gb partition and put x64 onto that.

Cheers for your help.

"Andrew Ahearne" wrote:

> Actually it would be the other way around. General rule of thumb is to
> install the older OS first. Seperate partitions are the road you want to go
> down although when it comes to 32bit apps such as Office I found you can
> install them in the same place in both OSs and they work fine.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Andrew
>
> "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know the best procedure for dual booting x64 and Windows XP
> > Pro
> > 32bit, I guess it's best to install x64 first then do the installation of
> > 32bit?
> >
> > Many Thanks

John Barnes

I personally would suggest installing the programs on each system
independently if you have the disk space as when you decide which system to
finally settle on, you can delete the other without having to figure out
what programs to re-install. Or you can install them on a third partition.
You also might consider a second drive for your other system as that will
make for a cleaner setup. In any case you will want to make sure that you
have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the 64-bit install on both partitions
and also the boot.ini. This will make it less likely you will have problems
when you delete the system you aren't going to use. Remember the %root%
drive (logical) will be the active partition on the drive (physical) when
you install.

"bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's cool, I've already got the 32bit version installed, I will create a
> new 30Gb partition and put x64 onto that.
>
> Cheers for your help.
>

> "Andrew Ahearne" wrote:
>
>> Actually it would be the other way around. General rule of thumb is to
>> install the older OS first. Seperate partitions are the road you want to
>> go
>> down although when it comes to 32bit apps such as Office I found you can
>> install them in the same place in both OSs and they work fine.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>> Andrew
>>
>> "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does anyone know the best procedure for dual booting x64 and Windows XP
>> > Pro
>> > 32bit, I guess it's best to install x64 first then do the installation
>> > of
>> > 32bit?
>> >
>> > Many Thanks

Andrew Ahearne

Yeah that about covers everything I glazed over

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I personally would suggest installing the programs on each system
>independently if you have the disk space as when you decide which system to
>finally settle on, you can delete the other without having to figure out
>what programs to re-install. Or you can install them on a third partition.
>You also might consider a second drive for your other system as that will
>make for a cleaner setup. In any case you will want to make sure that you
>have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the 64-bit install on both partitions
>and also the boot.ini. This will make it less likely you will have
>problems when you delete the system you aren't going to use. Remember the
>%root% drive (logical) will be the active partition on the drive
>(physical) when you install.
>

> "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's cool, I've already got the 32bit version installed, I will create
>> new 30Gb partition and put x64 onto that.
>>
>> Cheers for your help.
>>

>> "Andrew Ahearne" wrote:
>>
>>> Actually it would be the other way around. General rule of thumb is to
>>> install the older OS first. Seperate partitions are the road you want to
>>> go
>>> down although when it comes to 32bit apps such as Office I found you can
>>> install them in the same place in both OSs and they work fine.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps,
>>> Andrew
>>>
>>> "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?=

So, i, have XP Pro installed on one hard drive, but i also have junk on my
second drive, so can i still install x64, without having to format?

"Andrew Ahearne" wrote:

> Yeah that about covers everything I glazed over

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I personally would suggest installing the programs on each system
> >independently if you have the disk space as when you decide which system to
> >finally settle on, you can delete the other without having to figure out
> >what programs to re-install. Or you can install them on a third partition.
> >You also might consider a second drive for your other system as that will
> >make for a cleaner setup. In any case you will want to make sure that you
> >have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the 64-bit install on both partitions
> >and also the boot.ini. This will make it less likely you will have
> >problems when you delete the system you aren't going to use. Remember the
> >%root% drive (logical) will be the active partition on the drive
> >(physical) when you install.
> >

> > "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> That's cool, I've already got the 32bit version installed, I will create
> >> new 30Gb partition and put x64 onto that.
> >>
> >> Cheers for your help.

John Barnes

If it is partitioned as a primary partition, doesn't have a Windows folder,
and associated folders (documents and settings ,program files) your could,
but I would strongly suggest you set up a separate partition and install
there. Real junk won't hurt (media files, photos shouldn't be a problem,
though)

"Stan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, i, have XP Pro installed on one hard drive, but i also have junk on my
> second drive, so can i still install x64, without having to format?
>
> "Andrew Ahearne" wrote:
>
>> Yeah that about covers everything I glazed over
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I personally would suggest installing the programs on each system
>> >independently if you have the disk space as when you decide which system
>> >finally settle on, you can delete the other without having to figure
>> >out
>> >what programs to re-install. Or you can install them on a third
>> >partition.
>> >You also might consider a second drive for your other system as that
>> >will
>> >make for a cleaner setup. In any case you will want to make sure that
>> >you
>> >have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the 64-bit install on both
>> >partitions
>> >and also the boot.ini. This will make it less likely you will have
>> >problems when you delete the system you aren't going to use. Remember
>> >the
>> >%root% drive (logical) will be the active partition on the drive
>> >(physical) when you install.
>> >

>> > "bara03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?=

Thanks a lot, will do.