Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Help I am getting Desperate!!

Help I am getting Desperate!!

Richard G Carruthers

I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released in
April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least running
most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most, drivers,drivers,
drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad one that never
quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without problems on my
computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems that some others
had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about anyone having.
Periodically without warning it would wipe out the installation of my cd-rom
& DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and the only way I ever got it
back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it. Install eTrust's x64bit trial and
had nothing but trouble installing it. It took hours to get it to install
right and update right. So back and forth between the two with the same
results. help, i am wits end and I need help,either another free one or
trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the length of this ant help will be
gratfully excepted.

Richard

Tony Sperling

Hi, Richard.

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a Trial Version

-snip-

> an Anti-virus that worked without problems on my computer. I first tried
> Avast and had the usual problems that some others had plus a nasty one
> that I have not heard anything about anyone having.

The only problem I've ever had was with occasional lock-ups at shutdown.

1. Do you know for sure that Avast is the source of this matter?
2. Are you running other firewall/AV software - possibly from BIOS, that
might create a conflict?

My suggestion is to install any AV early on, when the O/S is quite fresh.
Then, if you want to install anything else you download it and disable your
i-net connection and firewall/AV, now, install the stuff - re-boot, and
re-activate your firewall/AV and i-net. Always use this procedure whenever
you are experiencing trouble.What burner software are you using? XP x64 is
quite new and everything cannot be expected to cope with everything else. .
..after all, they all come from different sources and they too have to addapt
to the newness of it all. In the 'worst-case-scenario' you might have to
decide to exchange some of your hardware and get something other that falls
into place as smoothly as we all wish it would always be - but rarely is.

> Periodically without warning it would wipe out the installation of my
> cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and the only way I ever
> got it back was to reinstall.

I refuse to believe that Avast is doing that, if it does it has to be
because of something else in your system that has gone bad, and getting rid
of it won't rid you of the problem.

In my experience there is some software that installs enhancements or
modules that might be the source of all kinds of curious behaviour. 'Nero
inCD' is one 'Nvidia nView' - the desktop virtualisation module - is
another. There is nothing wrong with the software as such, it might work
perfectly on one machine, and be a total disaster on another. Careful
analyzing is a requirement.

And - your equipment in mind - install things one at a time. Wait several
days before installing anything else again. You need to get a personal
relationship with your machine. It's like a wife, you know. You've go to
know which buttons to press.

So I got rid of it. Install eTrust's x64bit trial and
> had nothing but trouble installing it. It took hours to get it to install
> right and update right.

I haven't tried it myself, but NOD32 have gotten terrific reviews.
Personally, though, I think you have a chipset that is conflicting with some
software you are running. I would re-install from scratch and get all
possible hardware related updates (ROM/driver) using the above procedure,
carefully re-install only the basic stuff to positivly identify the culprit.
Might be a lengthy process, but in the end, often the cheapest and most
educating and rewarding one.

And - if ever you re-install anything remotely Window'ish - uninstall
first!!!

Regards, Tony. . .

John Barnes

Just to clarify, what do you mean by wipe out your CD rom? What are your
symptoms and what shows in device manager when it is wiped out? Also what
do you mean when you say reinstall? The whole system or allowing the CD to
install when you re boot? If the device is still in Device Manager when
this happens, have you tried the roll back drivers options in Device
manager? What were the results, and finally have you checked the drivers in
the CD to see if all are WHQL and note any that aren't and delete them. Do
an uninstall on the device and what happens when you reboot?

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it. It
>took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and forth
>between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I need
>help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the
>length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>
> Richard

Richard G Carruthers

Yes I am sure remove avast and no problem install avast and problem returns
within hours, remove it is gone. What I mean is Yellow question marks in
device manager beside both CD-Rom and DVD/CD burner and they cannot be
reinstalled. once in awhile system restore will work but usually end up
reinstalling x64. Am using CDBurner XP Pro 3 works fine when DVD
available and in eTrust.

Richard

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it. It
>took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and forth
>between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I need
>help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the
>length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>
> Richard

John Barnes

So eTrust is now installed and working fine. Then it would appear that
Avast and CDBurner XP Pro 3 have a conflict.

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I am sure remove avast and no problem install avast and problem
> returns within hours, remove it is gone. What I mean is Yellow question
> marks in device manager beside both CD-Rom and DVD/CD burner and they
> cannot be reinstalled. once in awhile system restore will work but usually
> end up reinstalling x64. Am using CDBurner XP Pro 3 works fine when DVD
> available and in eTrust.
>
> Richard
>

> "Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it.
>>It took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and
>>forth between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I
>>need help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry
>>for the length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>>
>> Richard

John Barnes

There is a 30 day trial of NOD32 available here if you are still looking for
something else. I don't know where you are since one post you got rid of
eTrust and another it works fine.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...4/1030805525/1

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I am sure remove avast and no problem install avast and problem
> returns within hours, remove it is gone. What I mean is Yellow question
> marks in device manager beside both CD-Rom and DVD/CD burner and they
> cannot be reinstalled. once in awhile system restore will work but usually
> end up reinstalling x64. Am using CDBurner XP Pro 3 works fine when DVD
> available and in eTrust.
>
> Richard
>

> "Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it.
>>It took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and
>>forth between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I
>>need help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry
>>for the length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>>
>> Richard

Richard G Carruthers

etrust works right once installled took hours refused to update. Updated a
couple of times after original install than will not update. I do not call
that operating correctly and CA has refused to respond to repeated requests-
have wven tried reporting it as a bug. I couldn't agree more there is a
problem with avast but this happens without ever using any burning software.
I doubt it is with
CDBurner XP Pro 3. Thanks for the info will try Nod32 asASAP and report
back.

Richard

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it. It
>took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and forth
>between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I need
>help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the
>length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>
> Richard

jackfrost64

Nothing has worked so far but, finally did find a way to get error
message. Doesn't mean much to me but here it is: "Can' find infomation on
the Inoculatel T engine for window's 2003 (....". Any assist will be greatly
appreciated.

Richard

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it. It
>took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and forth
>between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I need
>help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the
>length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>
> Richard

Tony Sperling

Either there's something wrong with your display, or your keybord. Doesn't
mean much to me as well. Please, copy the exact error message and search the
knowledgebase.

Tony. . .

"jackfrost64" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nothing has worked so far but, finally did find a way to get error
> message. Doesn't mean much to me but here it is: "Can' find infomation on
> the Inoculatel T engine for window's 2003 (....". Any assist will be
> greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Richard
>

> "Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I installed a Trial Version shortly after Windows Xp x64bit was released
>>in April.. The install went very well and I have been up and at least
>>running most of the time. I had the same type of problems as most,
>>drivers,drivers, drivers and compatibility; except for one very, very bad
>>one that never quite went away; That is an Anti-virus that worked without
>>problems on my computer. I first tried Avast and had the usual problems
>>that some others had plus a nasty one that I have not heard anything about
>>anyone having. Periodically without warning it would wipe out the
>>installation of my cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and
>>the only way I ever got it back was to reinstall. So I got rid of it.
>>Install eTrust's x64bit trial and had nothing but trouble installing it.
>>It took hours to get it to install right and update right. So back and
>>forth between the two with the same results. help, i am wits end and I
>>need help,either another free one or trial or a fix for the above. Sorry
>>for the length of this ant help will be gratfully excepted.
>>
>> Richard

jackfrost64

Thanks for the suggestions, I have searched Google and several other search
engines as well as Microsoft Knowledge baseand have found. The Error
message is exactly as posted in the other posting.m I have disconnected the
keyboard & mouse ( Which were both Microsoft Programable) and connect a Ps/2
mouse & keyboard. Will let you know what happens.

Richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...