Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > windows install

windows install

Rick

Brother seems to have pretty good Win x64 support, including scanning in
their MFCs. They have a chart for their products and links to the
downloads:

http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/windowsxp/us.html

Drvnguy wrote:
> Ok Ok I will get a new printer perhaps an allin one with fax ,the wife keeps
> asking me to get one ..
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>See, I think of it the other way -- why bother having a small x86
>>partition just so you can print? You'll need a second copy of windows,
>>which costs almost as much as a printer would. I read his original as
>>being almost there, but strongly favouring the x64 side. Given the
>>nuisance value and time to get everything set up, etc, I'd just pop for a
>>printer (or read our blogs for the workarounds) and get on with business.
>>

>>--
>>Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>>======================
>>Charlie.
>>http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>>John Barnes wrote:
>>
>>>I agree that he will probably only use the second system a small part
>>>of the time, and if the printer were the only thing, and x64 worked
>>>otherwise, that would be the best move. However, if most client
>>>users go back to x86 the installed base of x64 will be too small for
>>>not only the hardware, but software vendors to care about it. As we
>>>know there is virtually no benefit to x64 for client at this time. Even
>>>games are few and far between. But they will come as will the
>>>other support, and for those with problems, having a small x64
>>>partition where those applications which will benefit can be run will
>>>help keep things moving forward.
>>>
>>>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Understood in your case. I was trying to address his specific case, where it
seemed that printing was the biggest issue. Given the price of printers...

--

John Barnes wrote:
> I would definitely agree if printing were the only problem. In my
> case add a decent scanner and 1/2 dozen programs that run @$350 and
> several I depend on that can't be replaced yet, conveniently and work
> programs that don't run - period - and you have no choice.
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> See, I think of it the other way -- why bother having a small x86
>> partition just so you can print? You'll need a second copy of
>> windows, which costs almost as much as a printer would. I read
>> his original as being almost there, but strongly favouring the x64
>> side. Given the nuisance value and time to get everything set up,
>> etc, I'd just pop for a printer (or read our blogs for the
>> workarounds) and get on with business.
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> I agree that he will probably only use the second system a small
>>> part of the time, and if the printer were the only thing, and x64
>>> worked otherwise, that would be the best move. However, if most
>>> client users go back to x86 the installed base of x64 will be too small
>>> for
>>> not only the hardware, but software vendors to care about it. As we
>>> know there is virtually no benefit to x64 for client at this time.
>>> Even games are few and far between. But they will come as will the
>>> other support, and for those with problems, having a small x64
>>> partition where those applications which will benefit can be run
>>> will help keep things moving forward.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Just do your do diligence before hand to make sure there are full x64 drivers
for it. The printing side is fairly easy to get, but the scanning/fax part
has been slower to produce drivers.