Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 stops responding

x64 stops responding

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times every
hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
exclamation marks in the device manager.
This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
same computer with exactly the same hardware.

On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.

Anyone got a clue?

--

Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
P4 3.73GHz EE

NNBXX

Any MUI installed ?

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times
> every
> hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
> exclamation marks in the device manager.
> This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
> same computer with exactly the same hardware.
>
> On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.
>
> Anyone got a clue?
>
> --
>
> Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> P4 3.73GHz EE
> WD 74GB x 2
> DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> GeForce 7800GTX
> Samsung 24" TFT
> Plextor PX-712SA

Andre Da Costa

Was this occurring before you installed Vista x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times
> every
> hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
> exclamation marks in the device manager.
> This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
> same computer with exactly the same hardware.
>
> On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.
>
> Anyone got a clue?
>
> --
>
> Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> P4 3.73GHz EE
> WD 74GB x 2
> DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> GeForce 7800GTX
> Samsung 24" TFT
> Plextor PX-712SA

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

Yes it did happen before I installed Vista x64 and at that time XP Pro x64
was the only OS I had installed.

For a while with the trial version I had the Swedish MUI installed, but when
I received the TAP I did a clean install and no MUI.

I have also done a new clean install, but it still occurs.

It is very annoying, since I am not able to do anything under the 5-10
seconds.

"Andre Da Costa" wrote:

> Was this occurring before you installed Vista x64?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times
> > every
> > hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
> > exclamation marks in the device manager.
> > This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
> > same computer with exactly the same hardware.
> >
> > On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.
> >
> > Anyone got a clue?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> > P4 3.73GHz EE
> > WD 74GB x 2
> > DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> > GeForce 7800GTX
> > Samsung 24" TFT
> > Plextor PX-712SA

Randy

Do you have a virus scanner running? AntiSpyware? Firewall?
I'd do thorough scans if not if the system has been online.

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times

every
> hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
> exclamation marks in the device manager.
> This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
> same computer with exactly the same hardware.
>
> On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.
>
> Anyone got a clue?
>
> --
>
> Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> P4 3.73GHz EE
> WD 74GB x 2
> DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> GeForce 7800GTX
> Samsung 24" TFT
> Plextor PX-712SA

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I have no AntiVirus.
Firewall: Windows Firewall.
AntiSpyware: Microsoft AntiSpyware with Real-time Protection in-active,
AutoUpdater Inactive, Schedule scan Disable.

"Randy" wrote:

> Do you have a virus scanner running? AntiSpyware? Firewall?
> I'd do thorough scans if not if the system has been online.
>
> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6 times

> every
> > hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no question or
> > exclamation marks in the device manager.
> > This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is on the
> > same computer with exactly the same hardware.
> >
> > On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1 x64.
> >
> > Anyone got a clue?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> > P4 3.73GHz EE
> > WD 74GB x 2
> > DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> > GeForce 7800GTX
> > Samsung 24" TFT
> > Plextor PX-712SA

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good time to do a thorough inspection of the event viewer. Something is
having to do a timeout. I'd bet it's a networking issue, but there are
certainly other things it could be. Look for any anomolies in the event logs
as a good starting point.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Maratonmannen wrote:
> Yes it did happen before I installed Vista x64 and at that time XP
> Pro x64 was the only OS I had installed.
>
> For a while with the trial version I had the Swedish MUI installed,
> but when I received the TAP I did a clean install and no MUI.
>
> I have also done a new clean install, but it still occurs.
>
> It is very annoying, since I am not able to do anything under the
> 5-10 seconds.
>
> "Andre Da Costa" wrote:
>
>> Was this occurring before you installed Vista x64?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My operating system stops responding for 5-10 seconds about 4-6
>>> times every
>>> hour. If I am typing, downloading, surfing it stops. I have no
>>> question or exclamation marks in the device manager.
>>> This only happens with the XP Pro x64 OS, not Vista x64. And it is
>>> on the same computer with exactly the same hardware.
>>>
>>> On partition C: I have XP Pro x64 and on partition D: Vista Beta 1
>>> x64.
>>>
>>> Anyone got a clue?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
>>> P4 3.73GHz EE
>>> WD 74GB x 2
>>> DDR2 PC8000 2GB
>>> GeForce 7800GTX
>>> Samsung 24" TFT
>>> Plextor PX-712SA

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

In the last almost two hours, it has been only three stops. I have checked
the event viewer and there are no events from the time the system stops
responding. But there are several errors with the source "SideBySide" and
Event 32 and 59 with description:
"Dependent Assembly Microsoft. VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error
was: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
"Generate ActivationContext failed for C:\Program
Files\Logitech\SetPoint\MFC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly
is not installed on your system."

I have a Logitech MX-1000 with x64 SetPoint drivers. I have not noticed
anything strange with the mouse and ir works as expected.

I have also updated the drivers for the onboard Intel Pro/1000 network
adapter.