Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE Java plugin, Java Web Start loads/runs in x64 == maybe just a fluke?

IE Java plugin, Java Web Start loads/runs in x64 == maybe just a fluke?

-Dan-

I wasn't doing anything constructive and thought I would try loading and start evaluating Sun's StarOffice 7 Suite on x64. Well, I figured this little activity was getting ready to go nowhere when the install couldn't find, and asked for permission to load, J2RE. Since this had to be a 32 bit version, I assumed that the install was probably in trouble. Lo and behold, it works.

Another suprise, I now have a Java IE plugin and Java Web Start loaded. Java Web Start, Version 1.4.2, build b28, opens, and it works. I have tried three web sites that have Java applets initiated from the browser... all worked. One was the animated weather maps at http://www.noaa.gov, another was my time entry for work, the last was one of the speedtest sites on BBR... the plugin works... in both 32 and 64 bit IE.

The browser plugin is not supposed to work, but this one does. Is this a fluke? Is something needed from StarOffice to make it work?

--
-Dan-