Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Strange problem

Re: Strange problem

Consultant

reinstall xp
or better yet, install linux

news:u$kCd%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Figured I'd come here and seek your help, as you guys claim to know what
> you're doing...
> Anyways, my parents have a computer with XP Home on it. It's a Systemax
> system bought from god-knows-where, probably TigerDirect, so it's got a
> "hidden" partition that houses a sparkling-clean image, used to restore

the
> computer back to "factory conditions". They were having a lot of trouble
> with spyware and general clutter, so my father went ahead and backed up

all
> his important files and such, then blew everything away by using

Systemax's

http://www.3dlabs.com/support/forum/...&message=22037,
> does anyone have any ideas? If not, I'll just go ahead and flash the BIOS,
> and see what happens.
>

> Oh, screw you, you're not getting tinyurl's from me today. Watch the wrap.
>
> --
>
> KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Neil

"Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eQ0Wrm$FEHA.1840
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> or better yet, install linux

which one

--
Neil

Ken Briscoe

news:eQ0Wrm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> reinstall xp

I would have gone that route had the computer come with an XP CD.

As an update (huh, update): I flashed the BIOS, but last night it crapped
out again. It's that damn agpcpq.sys. It's evil. So, I think the options are
dwindling. I can try restoring from the drive image again, I can make my
parents buy a new copy of XP, I can install a copy of Win2K Pro that never
saw the light of day, or I can set the machine ablaze. Frankly, I don't know
why I'm going to all this trouble. They should buy a new computer anyways.
My dad's eyes shot, he needs a bigger monitor. And he wants an LCD. So they
should just go all out. Oh well.

> or better yet, install linux

Last time I tried to install Linux, I had the same memory problem Darth was
having. I thought Linux was supposed to be more tolerant than Windows. But I
guess you can look at it the other way: Linux actually *cares* that you have
solid hardware...

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Consultant

i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:eQ0Wrm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > reinstall xp

> I would have gone that route had the computer come with an XP CD.
>
> As an update (huh, update): I flashed the BIOS, but last night it crapped
> out again. It's that damn agpcpq.sys. It's evil. So, I think the options

are
> dwindling. I can try restoring from the drive image again, I can make my
> parents buy a new copy of XP, I can install a copy of Win2K Pro that never
> saw the light of day, or I can set the machine ablaze. Frankly, I don't

know
> why I'm going to all this trouble. They should buy a new computer anyways.
> My dad's eyes shot, he needs a bigger monitor. And he wants an LCD. So

they
> should just go all out. Oh well.
>
> > or better yet, install linux

> Last time I tried to install Linux, I had the same memory problem Darth

was
> having. I thought Linux was supposed to be more tolerant than Windows. But

> guess you can look at it the other way: Linux actually *cares* that you

have
> solid hardware...
>
> --
>
> KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Rowdy Yates

"Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Rowdy Yates
--
"the man who tried and failed miserably"

Ken Briscoe

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

my mom would sh!t a brick with no "start" button.
"where's the internet?"
"why is everything so slow?"
"explorer has encountered errors?!"
"what? what is this? no Hearts? Spider Solitaire? Freecell?"
"kenny?! get over here!"

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Neil

"Ken Briscoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:u59ZE5LGEHA.744
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> set the machine ablaze

this is my recommendation

--
Neil

Neil

"Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...

(mmmm, DOS 3.2)

--
Neil

Consultant

7, of course.
the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.

news:Xns94BF68A1B6D49neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
> "Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>
> > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

> on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
>
> (mmmm, DOS 3.2)
>
> --
> Neil

Rowdy Yates

you have to pay an extra $50 to get a floppy drv these days.

"Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eHYg8dMGEHA.3856
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> 7, of course.
> the funny part, i don't have a 3.5" floppy drive in any of my systems.
>
> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns94BF68A1B6D49neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
>> "Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:#cIXtIMGEHA.2768
>> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>>
>> > i can send you a copy of windows for workgroups 3.11

>> on 5 or 7 floppies. I have it on CD somewhere...
>>
>> (mmmm, DOS 3.2)
>>
>> --
>> Neil
>> "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

Rowdy Yates
--
"the man who tried and failed miserably"