Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 No Boot After Successful Install

x64 No Boot After Successful Install

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3M=?=

My first time here so pls bare with me this will be a long post.

My System Config

AMD 3500+ x64
ASUS A8N SLI Delx - bios version 1011
Corsair 2x512 DDR400 - on dual chanel config
Gigabyte GAnx6600128D pciex graphics card - bios version f3
Seagate 2x80 gig SATA with 8 meg cache
Antec truepower2 480W psu
Liteon DVDRW as master on secondary ide controller
LG DVD/CD rom as master on the primary ide controller
ASUS CD rom as salve on primary controller
1 Floppy drive
1 ADSL 2+ modem with 4 port router - Siemens speed stream

The issue I have is x64 XP Pro keeps crashing after installation, and a few
hours of operation.
I have 3 sets of hardware drivers for all components, the original MOBO
support cd, updated drivers from each manufacturer, and the latest release
drivers from all the manufacturers.

This is what I have tried so far.

1. Using the sil image raid controller with raid 0.
The OS loads with no problems or issues, and boots fine, chipset drivers
installed, all updates installed, the rest of the hardware installed,
rebooted a number of times with no problems. Programs installed, and usable
with no issues, burning software installed updated and used with no problems,
reboot a number of times with no problems. Used the rig for a few hours with
no problems, shut down and restart after a few hours, and bang the system
refuses to boot.

2. Wipe the drives reset controller and connect to the Nfroce 4 in raid 0
array, installation goes without a hitch, but on initial boot the system does
not boot, at all.

3. Wipe and low level format the drives, reset controller to standard SATA,
install the OS without a hitch, load the chipset drivers, install updates,
laod the rest of the drivers, programs etc... system runs fine for a few
hours did a few dvds etc, some web site editing etc with NO issues. Shut the
comp down for few hours and restart, and Bang No boot....

I have done this 3 times with 3 different set of drivers with the same
result each time, I have run the diagnostics on my hardware and all checks
out OK. I even retro flushed the bios ( which I didn't like doing ) but no
diff.

Has any one have any ideas please, I have researched this problem, and found
a number of various suggestions which did not work for me...

I have currently reinstalled my 32 bit Xp Pro the First release which
doesn't even have sp1 on it, using the sil image raid cntrl, on raid 0 with
absltly no trouble at all.....and it also works in this manner with the
Nvidia raid also.

Just further to my post I also have used SUSE x64 version on this rig and I
had no isues with it, which almost clears any hardware issues that may be in
question..

As a final touch I rang MS tech support but they refused to help without
paying almost $100 AUST.....

Once again any help will be very much appreciated. What have I or am I
missing ????

--
Regards

Janos

Jud Hendrix

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:55:22 -0700, "Janos"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The issue I have is x64 XP Pro keeps crashing after installation, and a few
>hours of operation.

Are you overclocking your system? Might be the cause for crashing
after a few hours.

jud

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3M=?=

Hi Jud

Thanks for the reply.

But the answer to your question is dent NO it is not O/C in any way nor have
I attempted to O/C the rig at any time..This is a starnge probelm I have to
say the least.

AS a matter of fact I am dead set aginst it.
--
Regards

Janos

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:55:22 -0700, "Janos"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The issue I have is x64 XP Pro keeps crashing after installation, and a few
> >hours of operation.

> Are you overclocking your system? Might be the cause for crashing
> after a few hours.
>
> jud

Gaius Octavius

Prehpas tehre might be a silght Langauge Barirrer here you thikn?
Spell checker is a thing of joy.

Check it out

"Janos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jud
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> But the answer to your question is dent NO it is not O/C in any way nor
> have
> I attempted to O/C the rig at any time..This is a starnge probelm I have
> say the least.
>
> AS a matter of fact I am dead set aginst it.
> --
> Regards
>
> Janos
>

> "Jud Hendrix" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:55:22 -0700, "Janos"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The issue I have is x64 XP Pro keeps crashing after installation, and a
>> >few
>> >hours of operation.

>> Are you overclocking your system? Might be the cause for crashing
>> after a few hours.
>>
>> jud

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3M=?=

Thanks for the message !!!

Did you say spell checker!! What's that????

I think I might have been in a bit of a rush..... To say the least.

What I meant to say is the rig in over clocked in any shape or form, in no
way did I attempt to over clock the rig, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't
bother installing the 3500+.

Hope that clears the matter up. But I admit this problem has got me beat,
only a short time ago I did try and install the OS on a brand new SATA drive
connected on its own, and guess what !! Same result , install with no
problems, used the system for about half an hour shut it down and when I
booted the rig again approx 15 minutes later NO boot, it got as far as the
boot banner, with the blue bars and that was that.
--
Regards

Janos

"Gaius Octavius" wrote:

> Prehpas tehre might be a silght Langauge Barirrer here you thikn?
> Spell checker is a thing of joy.
>
> Check it out
>

> "Janos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Jud
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > But the answer to your question is dent NO it is not O/C in any way nor
> > have
> > I attempted to O/C the rig at any time..This is a starnge probelm I have
> > say the least.
> >
> > AS a matter of fact I am dead set aginst it.
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Janos
> >

> > "Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> >> Are you overclocking your system? Might be the cause for crashing
> >> after a few hours.
> >>
> >> jud

Dennis Pack

Verify that the processor isn't overheating.

> [...]
>
> Has any one have any ideas please, I have researched this problem, and
> found
> a number of various suggestions which did not work for me...
>
> I have currently reinstalled my 32 bit Xp Pro the First release which
> doesn't even have sp1 on it, using the sil image raid cntrl, on raid 0
> with
> absltly no trouble at all.....and it also works in this manner with the
> Nvidia raid also.
>
> Just further to my post I also have used SUSE x64 version on this rig and
> had no isues with it, which almost clears any hardware issues that may be
> in
> question..
>
> As a final touch I rang MS tech support but they refused to help without
> paying almost $100 AUST.....
>
> Once again any help will be very much appreciated. What have I or am I

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3M=?=

Hi Dennis !!

The CPU temp as reported by my probe shows 34 C bios shows 36 C the 2 C diff
i can accept, the system temp as reported by the bios is 32 C and by the
probe is 32 C.

There is a Gigabyte GTPRO all copper cooler on the CPU and a Zalman all
copper cooler VF700CU on the VGA chip, 2 rear exhaust fans, 1 side exhaust
fan, 1 front intake fan.

The highest temp I have seen on the CPU was 47 C with the fan running at
2100 RPM while I was testing the rig just after I built it. The fan has a
speed controller and is capable of going up to 5000rpm I think..

One thing I did make sure if nothing else is that the rig has more than
adequate cooling, if nothing else. I even replaced the Nforce fan and heat
sink with the Thermal Take Crystal Orb before I installed the mother board.

But why X64 refuses to boot after the rig being switched of for a while is
got me beat... I am preparing a letter to Asus tech support at the moment to
see if they my have some idea..

What I did neglect to mention in my original post is that I did have x64
Release Candidate 1 running with very few minor issues which were all sorted
out with time, based on this I decided to order the final cut of x64
--
Regards

Janos

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Has any one have any ideas please, I have researched this problem, and
> > found
> > a number of various suggestions which did not work for me...
> >
> > I have currently reinstalled my 32 bit Xp Pro the First release which
> > doesn't even have sp1 on it, using the sil image raid cntrl, on raid 0
> > with
> > absltly no trouble at all.....and it also works in this manner with the
> > Nvidia raid also.
> >
> > Just further to my post I also have used SUSE x64 version on this rig and
> > had no isues with it, which almost clears any hardware issues that may be
> > in
> > question..
> >
> > As a final touch I rang MS tech support but they refused to help without
> > paying almost $100 AUST.....
> >
> > Once again any help will be very much appreciated. What have I or am I

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhbWU=?=

I've got the same problem.

I've tried 3 build of the x64 system, but there's no way to start it.

I've got an Asus A8N-Sli with a Raid 0 active on 2 SATA Hard Disk.

The installation (with passing my SATA Raid Driver via F6 button on
starting) went fine, but at the first system start here's a blue screen and
the restart of the system.

I've tried safe mode too, obviusly, and any other choices, but there's no
way to make it work.

It's probably that the Windows XP x64 doesn't support RAID disk, even if it
recognize it good during installation...

I hope somenone know how to solve this very bad and big problem...

obvisuly there's no OC and so on...

"Janos" ha scritto:

> [...]
> out OK. I even retro flushed the bios ( which I didn't like doing ) but no
> diff.
>
> Has any one have any ideas please, I have researched this problem, and found
> a number of various suggestions which did not work for me...
>
> I have currently reinstalled my 32 bit Xp Pro the First release which
> doesn't even have sp1 on it, using the sil image raid cntrl, on raid 0 with
> absltly no trouble at all.....and it also works in this manner with the
> Nvidia raid also.
>
> Just further to my post I also have used SUSE x64 version on this rig and I
> had no isues with it, which almost clears any hardware issues that may be in
> question..
>
> As a final touch I rang MS tech support but they refused to help without
> paying almost $100 AUST.....
>
> Once again any help will be very much appreciated. What have I or am I

John Barnes

There are other components that overheat. You could run a memory test and a
check of your hard drive. There are good test products listed here (Hitachi
drive test - works with any make drive and Andre probably knows the memory
tester - both work from a floppy). Also, maybe the nForce fan you used isn't
cooling properly. The standard fan on my chip runs an incredible 8900 rpm.

> [...]
>> > a number of various suggestions which did not work for me...
>> >
>> > I have currently reinstalled my 32 bit Xp Pro the First release which
>> > doesn't even have sp1 on it, using the sil image raid cntrl, on raid 0
>> > with
>> > absltly no trouble at all.....and it also works in this manner with the
>> > Nvidia raid also.
>> >
>> > Just further to my post I also have used SUSE x64 version on this rig
>> > and
>> > had no isues with it, which almost clears any hardware issues that may
>> > be
>> > in
>> > question..
>> >
>> > As a final touch I rang MS tech support but they refused to help
>> > without
>> > paying almost $100 AUST.....
>> >
>> > Once again any help will be very much appreciated. What have I or am I

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3M=?=

Thanks for the post but I have done all the normal test's diagnostic tools,
eather from windows or directly from a bootable cd, all components temps etc
are good.

My 32 bit runs on raid 0 and ny other config which i throw at it, I have
changed the chipset cooler, got rid of the 8k + fan and heatsink and
installed the thremal take crystal orb in its place, the thing doesnt even
get warm any more.

Just to make sure I loaded Black HAwk down Last night and ran the rig for
about 3 hours playing the game all the temps hardly moved, as I am eriting at
the moment the probe is reading 29 C on the cpu and the bios is reading 31 C
the air coming from the side exhaust fan is cold..

The hardware checks out ok , I am one of those ppl that is a pin in the rear
ehn building rigs, every thing must be just right before I boot for the first
time, that includes the wirirng nice neat round bundle's using clip ties,
tucked out of the way, not siting over the fans etc, it is eather the 64 bit
copy, or something to do with drivers. Many ppl seem to have similar issues,
but as i said before I have used 3 diferent set of drivers etc still no go,
retro flushed the bios, no go.

The only thing I havent doen is used the latest Beta bios available from
Asus, I dont like flushing my bios untill the final cut is released..

I did expect issues etc but not to the point where the os will run OK for
while than nothing, this is what has be beat, it doesnt make senese.
--
Regards

Janos