Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Major problems with Win XP 64

Major problems with Win XP 64

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...

Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
Geforce 7800 GTX
2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives

Getting Windows Explorer crashes
BSODs
Registry (Hive) corruption (software)

What the heck am I missing?

I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...

What else can I try?

I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work with this
version of windows...

Any help appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

Sorry for the double post but needed to add some more info.

Also found the following problems with dxdiag:

- Several files (system.dll, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll,
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll, etc.) are missing!

- You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

And when I click on the button labled 'run 64 bit DXdiag', nothing happens.

Tried going to direct x website to re-download direct x, but it says that it
does not support my version of windows...

Where can I get the latest version or where do I find it on my Windows 64 CD?

"Xaos" wrote:

> My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
>
> Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> Geforce 7800 GTX
> 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
>
> Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> BSODs
> Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
>
> What the heck am I missing?
>
> I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
>
> What else can I try?
>
> I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work with this
> version of windows...
>
> Any help appreciated

Charlie Russel - MVP

Look for a hardware issue. Others are running that board and haven't reported
trouble. Bad RAM? Overclocking?

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Xaos wrote:
> My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
>
> Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> Geforce 7800 GTX
> 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
>
> Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> BSODs
> Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
>
> What the heck am I missing?
>
> I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
>
> What else can I try?
>
> I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work
> with this version of windows...
>
> Any help appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

Ok. Can you point me in the right direction towards fault isolation? What
tests can I run? What do I look at to get the right technical information?
Are there any 3rd party apps to help me diagnose? Maybe I have some BIOS
settings wrong? Could it be problems with RAID?

I bought all of the parts and had a local company put them together.
Everything worked ok at first but became unstable within a day or so. I
talked to the company that put it together and they said because I didn't buy
the parts through them, that they can't waranty the system. I would rather
not have to pay them again to fix this if I can figure it out on my own.
Thanx for any info you can give me.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Look for a hardware issue. Others are running that board and haven't reported
> trouble. Bad RAM? Overclocking?
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Xaos wrote:
> > My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
> >
> > Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> > Geforce 7800 GTX
> > 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
> >
> > Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> > BSODs
> > Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
> >
> > What the heck am I missing?
> >
> > I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> > Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
> >
> > What else can I try?
> >
> > I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work
> > with this version of windows...
> >
> > Any help appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

So how can I pull the missing files from my Windows 64 disk?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> If files are missing, you've got something serious going on. Again, it sounds
> like hardware. (BTW, DirectX 9.0 is built in to the OS, you can't add it
> later.)
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Xaos wrote:
> > Sorry for the double post but needed to add some more info.
> >
> > Also found the following problems with dxdiag:
> >
> > - Several files (system.dll, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll,
> > Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll, etc.) are missing!
> >
> > - You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.
> >
> > And when I click on the button labled 'run 64 bit DXdiag', nothing
> > happens.
> >
> > Tried going to direct x website to re-download direct x, but it says
> > that it does not support my version of windows...
> >
> > Where can I get the latest version or where do I find it on my
> > Windows 64 CD?
> >

> > "Xaos" wrote:
> >
> >> My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
> >>
> >> Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> >> Geforce 7800 GTX
> >> 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
> >>
> >> Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> >> BSODs
> >> Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
> >>
> >> What the heck am I missing?
> >>
> >> I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> >> Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
> >>
> >> What else can I try?
> >>
> >> I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work
> >> with this version of windows...
> >>
> >> Any help appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?Z3JlZ2gxNg==?=

FORMAT C:

"Xaos" wrote:

> Ok. Can you point me in the right direction towards fault isolation? What
> tests can I run? What do I look at to get the right technical information?
> Are there any 3rd party apps to help me diagnose? Maybe I have some BIOS
> settings wrong? Could it be problems with RAID?
>
> I bought all of the parts and had a local company put them together.
> Everything worked ok at first but became unstable within a day or so. I
> talked to the company that put it together and they said because I didn't buy
> the parts through them, that they can't waranty the system. I would rather
> not have to pay them again to fix this if I can figure it out on my own.
> Thanx for any info you can give me.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > Look for a hardware issue. Others are running that board and haven't reported
> > trouble. Bad RAM? Overclocking?
> >
> > --
> > Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> > ======================
> > Charlie.
> > http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
> >

> > Xaos wrote:
> > > My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
> > >
> > > Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> > > Geforce 7800 GTX
> > > 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
> > >
> > > Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> > > BSODs
> > > Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
> > >
> > > What the heck am I missing?
> > >
> > > I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> > > Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
> > >
> > > What else can I try?
> > >
> > > I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work
> > > with this version of windows...
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) Put your BIOS back to default settings. Kill the RAID for a while, use a
single drive while you're troubleshooting. Remove any non-critical boards
from your machine.
2.) you don't specify how much, and what kind, your memory is, but I'd
suggest that is the most likely failure point. Try replacing the memory if
you have other known good memory available, or if you don't, you may be able
to remove part of it, depending on your board configuration.
3.) Use a different CD/DVD drive to install from.

--

Xaos wrote:
> Ok. Can you point me in the right direction towards fault isolation?
> What tests can I run? What do I look at to get the right technical
> information? Are there any 3rd party apps to help me diagnose? Maybe
> I have some BIOS settings wrong? Could it be problems with RAID?
>
> I bought all of the parts and had a local company put them together.
> Everything worked ok at first but became unstable within a day or so.
> I talked to the company that put it together and they said because I
> didn't buy the parts through them, that they can't waranty the
> system. I would rather not have to pay them again to fix this if I
> can figure it out on my own. Thanx for any info you can give me.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Look for a hardware issue. Others are running that board and haven't
>> reported trouble. Bad RAM? Overclocking?
>>
>> --
>> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
>> ======================
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Xaos wrote:
>>> My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
>>>
>>> Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
>>> Geforce 7800 GTX
>>> 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
>>>
>>> Getting Windows Explorer crashes
>>> BSODs
>>> Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
>>>
>>> What the heck am I missing?
>>>
>>> I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
>>> Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
>>>
>>> What else can I try?
>>>
>>> I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work
>>> with this version of windows...
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated

Dennis Pack

Do you have the latest Bios from DFI to correct x2 performance problems?

"Xaos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My System has been generally unstable from first boot with x64...
>
> Running DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-D with AMD x2 4200
> Geforce 7800 GTX
> 2 WD Raptor 74 GB drives
>
> Getting Windows Explorer crashes
> BSODs
> Registry (Hive) corruption (software)
>
> What the heck am I missing?
>
> I have tried to update all of the drivers to the latest versions...
> Also re-installed Win 64 4 times...
>
> What else can I try?
>
> I wish I had Norton Windoctor to use, but it doesn't seem to work with
> this
> version of windows...
>
> Any help appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

ok here goes:

1. I set the BIOS to the default and the OS would no longer boot. So I
reinstalled windows again and it is working again at it's normal (unstable)
state.

I am still getting the following error onboot:

2. The memory (RAM I'm assuming you mean) is brand new Dual Channel DDR 400
by OCZ. I have 2 sets of 2 modules each 512 MB for about 2 GB ram. Both
the BIOS boot and Windows recognize the amount of Ram:

3. I only have a single DVD burner drive in the comp. But that appears to
be the only thing working 100% correctly.

Also there might be a problem with the HDDs. I have 2 drives installed and
recoginized by BIOS and Windows, but I am showing only 1 Logical C
drive(reading as the size of only 1 of the 'physical drives- 74GB). I have
RAID disabled in the BIOS but it appears that my drives are still in some
kind of RAID config (Not sure, I know very little about RAID in the first
place)

I am getting an icon in my taskbar showing the 'Safely remove hardware' as
follows

Thanx for your info and support

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> 1.) Put your BIOS back to default settings. Kill the RAID for a while, use a
> single drive while you're troubleshooting. Remove any non-critical boards
> from your machine.
> 2.) you don't specify how much, and what kind, your memory is, but I'd
> suggest that is the most likely failure point. Try replacing the memory if
> you have other known good memory available, or if you don't, you may be able
> to remove part of it, depending on your board configuration.
> 3.) Use a different CD/DVD drive to install from.
>
> --
> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> ======================
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Xaos wrote:
> > Ok. Can you point me in the right direction towards fault isolation?
> > What tests can I run? What do I look at to get the right technical
> > information? Are there any 3rd party apps to help me diagnose? Maybe
> > I have some BIOS settings wrong? Could it be problems with RAID?
> >
> > I bought all of the parts and had a local company put them together.
> > Everything worked ok at first but became unstable within a day or so.
> > I talked to the company that put it together and they said because I
> > didn't buy the parts through them, that they can't waranty the
> > system. I would rather not have to pay them again to fix this if I
> > can figure it out on my own. Thanx for any info you can give me.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Look for a hardware issue. Others are running that board and haven't
> >> reported trouble. Bad RAM? Overclocking?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

=?Utf-8?B?WGFvcw==?=

<EDIT FIXED LINKS SINCE I"VE DISCOVERED THAT THIS FORUM DOESN'T SUPPORT
HOTLINKING>

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3111/sysinfo3oj.jpg