Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Outlook 2002/2003 won't run on my AMD dual core 4400+

Outlook 2002/2003 won't run on my AMD dual core 4400+

dead kitty

but all the other Office apps from both versions run fine. Outlook 2000
does run though. Last night I did a fresh install: XP x64 followed
immediately by Office 2003 but it only asks me to open it in safemode
and/or "detect and repair" (which doesn't repair) and it doesn't open in
safe mode either, then it gives me a dialogue to send the error report to
Microsoft so here I am <g>

Is there a log file I can check? Any fix/patch for Outlook 2003?

My hardware:

Athlon64 X2 4400+
4GB PC3200
Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLi
MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sounds like you've hit up against a problem on some systems with exactly 4GB.
There is a hot fix available, see MS Knowledge Base article #896253.

Other users have reported that this resolved the problem.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

dead kitty wrote:
> but all the other Office apps from both versions run fine. Outlook
> 2000 does run though. Last night I did a fresh install: XP x64
> followed immediately by Office 2003 but it only asks me to open it in
> safemode and/or "detect and repair" (which doesn't repair) and it
> doesn't open in safe mode either, then it gives me a dialogue to send
> the error report to Microsoft so here I am <g>
>
> Is there a log file I can check? Any fix/patch for Outlook 2003?
>

> My hardware:
>
> Athlon64 X2 4400+
> 4GB PC3200
> Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLi
> MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZF8wMDc=?=

Nice hardware. How does the X2 run with the 64x? Does it utilize the dual
core feature?

> My hardware:
>
> Athlon64 X2 4400+
> 4GB PC3200
> Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLi
> MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x

dead kitty

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sounds like you've hit up against a problem on some systems with
> exactly 4GB. There is a hot fix available, see MS Knowledge Base
> article #896253.

> Other users have reported that this resolved the problem.

Thanks, but I don't see where to download it.
Could someone that has it please post it to alt.test
I need the XP x64 hotfix and it looks like the article is referring to a
32-bit fix.

Andre Da Costa

From Default User:
Tip: It is better to call PSS and have it emailed to you. These hotfixes
are password protected and timebomb after a week. It is not something you
can just hang on to for future use or for helping a friend.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"dead kitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96A79C4C7B73Bdeadkittygonetoheave@216.196. 97.131...
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Sounds like you've hit up against a problem on some systems with
>> exactly 4GB. There is a hot fix available, see MS Knowledge Base
>> article #896253.

>> Other users have reported that this resolved the problem.
>>

> Thanks, but I don't see where to download it.
> Could someone that has it please post it to alt.test
> I need the XP x64 hotfix and it looks like the article is referring to a
> 32-bit fix.

dead kitty

"=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZF8wMDc=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Nice hardware. How does the X2 run with the 64x? Does it utilize the
> dual core feature?

Yep, both XP32 and XP64 utilize both cores. It required a BIOS flash to
see the 2nd core. I'm lucky there as I didn't have a spare 939 lying
around to flash it had it not seen CPU#0 right off. The parts below cost
me around $1500 and I'm happy with that. I use XP x64 almost exclusively
now. The only thing I need XP32 for is my WinTV card that has no 64-bit
driver so XP32 sits on a tiny little 40GB partition.

>> My hardware:
>>
>> Athlon64 X2 4400+
>> 4GB PC3200
>> Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLi
>> MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x

Charlie Russel - MVP

You can't download it, you have to call PSS and open a support incident. It's
a bug, so it's free.

--

dead kitty wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Sounds like you've hit up against a problem on some systems with
>> exactly 4GB. There is a hot fix available, see MS Knowledge Base
>> article #896253.

>> Other users have reported that this resolved the problem.
>>

> Thanks, but I don't see where to download it.
> Could someone that has it please post it to alt.test
> I need the XP x64 hotfix and it looks like the article is referring
> to a 32-bit fix.

dead kitty

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ucYv#(E-Mail Removed):

> You can't download it, you have to call PSS and open a support
> incident. It's a bug, so it's free.

Is it available for the XP x64 trial version? How large is it? My email box
is not very big.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have no idea how big it is. It is a 32-bit patch, however, since Outlook is
a 32-bit program. The patch comes from the Office team, not from the Windows
team. The general rule on hot fixes is that they are pretty small.

--

dead kitty wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ucYv#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> You can't download it, you have to call PSS and open a support
>> incident. It's a bug, so it's free.
>>

> Is it available for the XP x64 trial version? How large is it? My
> email box is not very big.

dead kitty

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have no idea how big it is. It is a 32-bit patch, however, since
> Outlook is a 32-bit program. The patch comes from the Office team, not
> from the Windows team. The general rule on hot fixes is that they are
> pretty small.

Thanks for your help. They sent me a link to it. I guess I was expecting a
300MB binary <bfg>. Anyway, it works but in my case I had to install it
pre-SP1...didn't work installing post-SP1 but SP1 did go on afterwards
without undoing the patch.

AMD Bets on Tri-Core Chips as Quad-Core Market Lags Nighthawk NZ Computing 18 11-10-2007 06:59 AM
AMD Dual Core old man Computer Support 5 08-17-2006 11:57 PM
overclocking a dual core AMD b Computer Support 8 04-14-2006 02:42 PM
AMD Athlon 64, 64 FX, x2 dual-core, Sempron processor guide Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-25-2005 01:28 PM
AMD quad-core - even 16-core!! GraB NZ Computing 2 06-16-2005 11:38 PM

Advertisments