Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: enterprise backup solutions

Re: enterprise backup solutions

Marcel

Veritas NetBackup is a good solution, but it too expensive. Try
NetVault from BakBone (www.bakbone.com):
Easy to manage, nearly same functionality as NetBackup, nearly half
price. Much better than Veritas in NAS/SAN environments!

---
Marcel

> > "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns94B16900E9C69neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
> > > Ok, as some of you know I have been evaluating a couple of Enterprise
> > > backup solutions this week and am looking for other opinions (opening
> > > myself up for it aren't I?).
> > >
> > > we currently have an all MS shop with about 45 servers (All less than
> > > about 3 years old) with about 2.5TB of data to be backed up on a nightly
> > > basis (exchange 2k and SQL 2k in mix as well). The SAN still has space

> so
> > > we will inevitably chew up even more of the backup window (yes we
> > > actually get a window). Short story is BackupExec isn't cutting it
> > > anymore and we are looking at either Veritas's NetBackup 5 or HPs
> > > DataProtector (formerly known as OmniBack). The HP product is WAY

> cheaper
> > > and much easier to set up in the test lab, but I don't have a robotic
> > > tape library in my sandbox like I do in production. Also the HP product
> > > can't read the BackupExec tapes and the NetBackup can.
> > >
> > > So, here is the question. If you have either of these product in
> > > production, what are your experiences with the product in a Windows
> > > Enviornment (or at least the cell manager in Windoze)? Please be

> brutally
> > > honest. Thanks...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Neil MCNGP #30
> > > "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

Rowdy Yates

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Marcel) wrote in news:b3af573e.0404010642.ea15d84
@posting.google.com:

> NetVault

you don't happen to work for NetVault do you?

Important Links Ranked In Order of Relevance:
---
MCSE on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/
--
MCSE on Microsoft Windows 2000 Certification Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

Neil

(E-Mail Removed) (Marcel) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Veritas NetBackup is a good solution, but it too expensive. Try
> NetVault from BakBone (www.bakbone.com):
> Easy to manage, nearly same functionality as NetBackup, nearly half
> price. Much better than Veritas in NAS/SAN environments!
>
> ---
> Marcel

<snip>

We're only looking at those two (NetBackup and HP Dataprotector) as
solutions. Anyone have any experience with DataProtector?

--
Neil